10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

I've been trying quite hard not to rev beyond 2k rpm as much as possible in order to achieve a more decent fuel consumption. But I guess driving in this manner kills the excitement of owning a Civic?

Exactly bro.. it's like taking Fiona Xie for long walks along the beach for chit chats and intellectual conversations  [:p]

↡ Advertisement

2K is only 1/3 of the redline zone. Don't worry too much, just zuah. In fact, driving briskly off will save more fuel than slowly.

And don't worry about engine brake, if there's any. If possible down "gear" to achieve engine braking effect on downslope instead of furiously using the brakes. And engine running at 3K with engine brake is more efficient than 1K using foot brakes.

I've been trying quite hard not to rev beyond 2k rpm as much as possible in order to achieve a more decent fuel consumption. But I guess driving in this manner kills the excitement of owning a Civic?

Nice! I did my first 1k servicing at Ubi one Wednesday morning, fourth in queue and took about 2 hours as well.

Not looking forward to at least half day sessions for the remaining servicing sessions though...

Edited by Kangadrool

Exactly bro.. it's like taking Fiona Xie for long walks along the beach for chit chats and intellectual conversations  [:p]

Wahaha! Wow when you put it that way, tomorrow onwards go and try rev till at least 2.5k rpm already liao!

2K is only 1/3 of the redline zone. Don't worry too much, just zuah. In fact, driving briskly off will save more fuel than slowly.

And don't worry about engine brake, if there's any. If possible down "gear" to achieve engine braking effect on downslope instead of furiously using the brakes. And engine running at 3K with engine brake is more efficient than 1K using foot brakes.

That's really interesting to note! Definitely will give it a try in the sense to accelerate harder from stop to hit cruising speed faster as compared to slowly accelerating to cruising speed.

I've also noticed that when going uphill, the 1.6 gearbox doesn't seem to know which gear to use and constantly gets caught in between a higher and lower gear and that causes the car to jerk and jerk and jerk until you level off. Anybody else experience this as well?

Wahaha! Wow when you put it that way, tomorrow onwards go and try rev till at least 2.5k rpm already liao!

That's really interesting to note! Definitely will give it a try in the sense to accelerate harder from stop to hit cruising speed faster as compared to slowly accelerating to cruising speed.

I've also noticed that when going uphill, the 1.6 gearbox doesn't seem to know which gear to use and constantly gets caught in between a higher and lower gear and that causes the car to jerk and jerk and jerk until you level off. Anybody else experience this as well?

Aiyoh, drive normally and spiritedly if you would as long as it's safe and controlled, and not reckless.

The car is meant to be enjoyed. Having to constantly monitor your foot, take note of FC, really no point.

Even if it costs you an additional 20% fuel for spirited driving (which I highly doubt so), if ur petrol costs $250 per month, 20% is only $50 more. For less than $2 per day, why need to drive like a mouse

• Praise 1

Aiyoh, drive normally and spiritedly if you would as long as it's safe and controlled, and not reckless.

The car is meant to be enjoyed. Having to constantly monitor your foot, take note of FC, really no point.

Even if it costs you an additional 20% fuel for spirited driving (which I highly doubt so), if ur petrol costs $250 per month, 20% is only $50 more. For less than $2 per day, why need to drive like a mouse ð¤£

That said, don't zua when the engine is cold. Only after 5 mins of normal driving and it's warmed up, then start to ð

Thank you for your sharing and kind advice sir! First time car owner here so really noob. Engine warmed up probably means the temperature gauge goes up to at least half way point?

Thank you for your sharing and kind advice sir! First time car owner here so really noob. Engine warmed up probably means the temperature gauge goes up to at least half way point?

No worries. That's what the forum is for.

The water temp gauge should reach halfway point within a minute or so but what I'm referring to is the oil temp, which there isn't a gauge for. Usually, oil reaches operating temp within a 5 min period.

Since you are a first time car owner, I'd suggest you just drive normally according to road conditions. No need to floor the pedal. Just don't be so conscious about the RPM that you miss out on the joy of driving

There’s a whole debate on the warming up thing.. I just drive sedately until I reach the car park exit. Just avoid flooring the pedal right away.

Yup just to clarify, I don't mean leaving the car idle for 5 mins to warm up.

For my car, during cold start, the RPM will be at 1200+ for about 30 seconds. Then it will settle down to 850. That's when I'll drive off.

In the first 5 mins, drive normally and don't floor the pedal.

After 5 mins, I consider the engine warmed up and

• Praise 1

Are you referring to 9L/100km or 9km/L?

I think it really depends on how aggressive/hard you drive and your highway/city ratio.

I'm at almost 3K mileage now and averaging 8L/100km on a 70/30 Highway/City driving ratio. Hope this helps!

8L/100km is so much higher than 6.7L/100km as stated on Honda website. That means Civic's fuel consumption is higher in real life?

8L/100km is so much higher than 6.7L/100km as stated on Honda website. That means Civic's fuel consumption is higher in real life?

Depends.

Mine is at 7.5l/100km.

That's still a lot higher than the 6.7L/100km stated on Honda's website. The fuel consumption is what is deterring me from getting Honda Civic. Honda HRV almost same price as Civic but more fuel efficient.

That's still a lot higher than the 6.7L/100km stated on Honda's website. The fuel consumption is what is deterring me from getting Honda Civic. Honda HRV almost same price as Civic but more fuel efficient.

Depends on how you drive.

My foot is getting heavier as I find the drive more enjoyable.

When I just got the car, it was about 7.3l/100km.

Honda didn’t even mention whether it is urban, semi-urban or highway FC.

You still want believe those numbers.

Depends on how you drive.

My foot is getting heavier as I find the drive more enjoyable.

When I just got the car, it was about 7.3l/100km.

Why your foot getting heavier le?

Honda didnât even mention whether it is urban, semi-urban or highway FC.

You still want believe those numbers.

Then costly to maintain a Honda Civic in the long run leh.