Beautiful Music

Angcheek

As you may know, Joao Gilberto was the original singer (and co-writer) for Garota de Ipanema. Astrud Gilberto was the original singer for the English singer because Joao Gilberto couldn't quite sing in English, so he got the wife who had no training to try .. and the rest of course was history.

Yup, if its not for Tom Jobim's clout, the U.S. recording companies would not have signed Joao Gilberto. And like you said, the rest is history :D

↡ Advertisement

Yup, if its not for Tom Jobim's clout, the U.S. recording companies would not have signed Joao Gilberto. And like you said, the rest is history :D

I had this Antonio Carlos Jobim 3 CD box set a long time ago but I can't find it now. Probably a collector's item now

post-4638-0-08102500-1447377199_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Agreed la, portuguese is best for bossa nova. And of course, we are talking about the voice that defined and made the Americans crazy over this genre in the 60s. I bet she can take a hokkien song and make it sound dam sensual man [laugh]

But I think for commercial reasons, Brazilian singers like her have to do English versions lo...

I love bossa nova too!

Her voice is very nice especially for late nights

I had this Antonio Carlos Jobim 3 CD box set a long time ago but I can't find it now. Probably a collector's item now

I see why this is rare

I only know the girl from ipanema, didn't know there's a man too

Eh...u got so many collector's item, how to go touring round the world...hehehe

• Praise 1

Hope you can find it. Verve's old records, good to keep :D

I love bossa nova too!

Her voice is very nice especially for late nights

I see why this is rare

I only know the girl from ipanema, didn't know there's a man too

Eh...u got so many collector's item, how to go touring round the world...hehehe

The man was the composer and sometimes, sang his own songs [laugh]

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 3

The song was written to be sung by a man (Joao Gilberto). When it was made into English for the break into the U.S. market, the sprit was kept pretty the same. But when Astrud Gilberto tried to sing it, she kept the "girl" part and changed the lyrics from "she looks .. not at me" to "she looks .. not at he" which was broken English but it rhymes and kept it a boy-girl crush, rather than girl-girl thing. Generally, when American female singers would change the lyrics from "the girl from ipanema" to "the boy from ipanema", "young and lovely" to "young and handsome". The original portuguese lyrics are still the best rhyme ..

There were earlier Jobim's songs released in the U.S. though technically, the Stan Getz's recording with Joao Gilberto (guitar) was the one that brought Jobim's new music to stardom in the U.S. and mainstream. Like many Jazz recordings, the original release along with other re-releases (different takes and mastering from the original sessions) that have become major collector's items.

Really admire ur knowledge [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Not bad ...

Reminded me when i work in office .

My humble submission, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue as performed and conducted by Leonard Bernstein.

• Praise 11