Volkswagen scandal

Caravan

so true

How nice to have ecu controlling everything in a car.

You can control it for "good" as well as for "bad", by a flick of a switch.

Just what every control freak wanted. Like ERP, just changing on whims and fancies by a flick of a switch.

VW may be bad, but they are just being caught with their pants down.

Doesn't mean other car makers are spotlessly clean.

When it comes to big money, anything goes.

↡ Advertisement

LTA said VW in SG very ho xim.. never sell 黑心 cars in Singapore

if lta adhere to a transparent garment, they should not take vw words n initiate a recall for vehicle emission inspection.

Now we have wi-fi and networked cars.

It makes it even easier to swap out "cheater" software without anyone knowing, when you sense you are about to get caught.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

LTA said VW in SG very ho xim.. never sell 黑心 cars in Singapore

Diesel carbon emissions are low. But diesels emit lots of other pollutants.

Gasoline cars not nearly as much of other stuff but high in carbon emissions, so Singapore will be "fine".

VW contributed greatly to Ozone depletion in the last 6 years.

And we wonder why the freaking hole keeps getting bigger. 11 million ozone buster on the roads.

Nitrous oxide emissions do not cause ozone depletion. That is carbon dioxide.

The cheating cars had low CO2 but high NOx. So they may have caused lots of health problems but ozone depletion is not one of the things.

• Praise 1

VW Caddy Diesel?

VW Beetle Diesel?

These were sold here. There might be others I dunnoe.

SG got at least one GTD (golf gti with diesel engine). But yeah, not a significant number,

Turbocharged

SG got at least one GTD (golf gti with diesel engine). But yeah, not a significant number,

Wah, as someone who really wanted to buy a diesel car a few months back, I applaud this person with the guts to order a Golf GTD, whoever and wherever they are.

go Tesla or go home..

It's getting common on HK Streets.

Too bad Tesla not in SG..even then also richman toys. Likely to cost $300k and above for Model S

Tesla did tried to market it in Singapore, but only forced to close shop in 2011 after garment refused to give them any tax breaks as an eco car.

Soong Boh ? [:p]

Wah, as someone who really wanted to buy a diesel car a few months back, I applaud this person with the guts to order a Golf GTD, whoever and wherever they are.

Perhaps that someone is just one of millions who were falsely sold with the idea of a green car, which Jetta won an award in 2009.

Cannot believe how things can go so wrong for VW jus a few years later.

2009 VW Jetta TDI Green Car of the Year -

Actually the US automobile market is rather a hypocrite in pollution .. I get these emission standards are needed, but when you drive in the US you will see almost every car has only one person. And in most cities, public transport is virtually non existent. It is the car capital of the world .. and closely behind them, China.

I think car usage or vehicle population is a seperate matter from anti-pollution measure and policies.

So I don't think a having stringent emission standard is in any way contradict with high dependence on car.

In fact, it is precisely of popularity of driving a car that gives more reason to have tight control on vehicular pollutions.

• Praise 1