Volkswagen scandal

Caravan

Will govt ask car owners to top up the cevs rebate?

CEVS is about CO2, so unless VW oso cheated on CO2 then maybe...

↡ Advertisement

"The full impact on the reputation of Volkswagen, whose parent company also owns brands including Audi, Skoda and Lamborghini, is hard to measure."

already their dsg issue caused much uncertainty... this just confirms the overall engineering misconduct... sad...

Turbocharged

already got two or three threads on this liao leh.

But yes, although VAG got such great engineers, great cars and great advancements, they have really ruined what trust customers have in them

What pollution ?

Just look outside your window and see it's 1000x worse.

ya, I believe it's in excess of 300 liao cos I can't see few blocks of high-rise flats at 0.5km away. should be the worst until now since it started. psi reading by nea based on 3-hr so can't tell actual / realtime psi.

Actually the US automobile market is rather a hypocrite in pollution .. I get these emission standards are needed, but when you drive in the US you will see almost every car has only one person. And in most cities, public transport is virtually non existent. It is the car capital of the world .. and closely behind them, China.

in this era, developing & capitalist countries r lidat, not only US. think our vehicle 10-yr limit is very good policy? so what if older produce more pollutants? is it so difficult / impossible to adjust / tune? then give reason for manufacturer to survive by making higher tech / newer vehicles. wc produces less pollution - to continue using existing resources until cannot use, or to research and make newer better ones? all these researches and continued manufacturing r in fact continuing to exhaust earth resources. so much talk on sustainability; I think it's to sustain human worth ( to have work, to have purpose; to huat) rather than anything else. m I missing even bigger picture?

the human race is constantly trying to solve a previous / present issue they created by inventing another, wc they need to solve another issue n the cycle continues.

• Praise 2

I didn't say emission standards are not important. I said the market ie. the general users are hypocrite.

Curious are you included?

ya, I believe it's in excess of 300 liao cos I can't see few blocks of high-rise flats at 0.5km away. should be the worst until now since it started. psi reading by nea based on 3-hr so can't tell actual / realtime psi.

aqiinfo_1.jpg

• Praise 1

The last two weeks, i been staring at VW price drop from eur220 to eur110

Sibei scary........

Heng i dont hold any VW shares.

Maybe drop back to eur65, then i buy a few thousand shares.

The CEO sure kena chop

how to buy ah?

which local broker can buy the markets VW is listed in?

Sibei scary........

Heng i dont hold any VW shares.

The CEO sure kena chop

Some market "gurus" continue to be bullish on VW. But I'm leery.

This is not just incompetence. This is outright cheating, a criminal act. Ask yourself if you really want to put your money behind a company that would do such a thing.

• Praise 1

If you or your kid have asthma. You should care. If your parents have heart or lung disease you should care.

It's ironic that these emissions emitted by diesel engines harm humans the most (opposed to co2 which only cause global warming which is a vague concept to most) but some people say they don't care.

I agree it's not the most important thing to the ordinary consumer but the governments should take a harsh stance with strong punitive measures.

Yes. Why should this corporation be given the easy way out and get off unscathed while other companies slog out significant sums to actually try to lower emissions?

They can't let VW off with a slap on their wrist.

And like another bro has mentioned about the DSG issue which actually could cause fatalities. Can you trust VW to have adequately handled that episode on hindsight now?

• Praise 2

Yes. Why should this corporation be given the easy way out and get off unscathed while other companies slog out significant sums to actually try to lower emissions?

They can't let VW off with a slap on their wrist.

And like another bro has mentioned about the DSG issue which actually could cause fatalities. Can you trust VW to have adequately handled that episode on hindsight now?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-21/bailout-world-volkswagen-cheating-fine-20-times-higher-gms-killing-174-people

GM ignition problem killed 174 people = fine 900mil

VW killed environment = fine may be 18bil

Hahahahaha!!!!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-21/bailout-world-volkswagen-cheating-fine-20-times-higher-gms-killing-174-people

GM ignition problem killed 174 people = fine 900mil

VW killed environment = fine may be 18bil

Hahahahaha!!!!

The huge fine (on per car basis) might have some political overtone lurking in the shadows. I am sure the auto lobby in Congress would want to make sure VW is dealt a super KO blow.

• Praise 1

Next BMW..... US fixing German auto makers?

BMW Drops on Report That X3 Diesel's Emission Exceeded EU Limit

BMW AG fell as much as 9.3 percent in Frankfurt after a German magazine reported that the X3 xDrive 20d sport utility vehicle emitted as much as 11 times the European limit for air pollution in a road test, adding to concern that the investigation weighing on Volkswagen AG may spread to other manufacturers.

By Naomi Kresge and Elisabeth Behrmann - Sep 24, 2015, 5:38:14 PM

The BMW X3 xDrive20d.

BMW AG fell as much as 9.3 percent in Frankfurt after a German magazine reported that the X3 xDrive 20d sport utility vehicle emitted as much as 11 times the European limit for air pollution in a road test, adding to concern that the investigation weighing on Volkswagen AG may spread to other manufacturers.

The SUV was road-tested by the International Council on Clean Transportation, the same group whose tipoff led U.S. regulators to investigate a gap between Volkswagen AG diesels’ emissions in tests and on the road, Germany’s Autobild reported. BMW said that there’s no system in its cars that responds to tests differently than it would operate on the road.

“There is no function to recognize emissions testing cycles at BMW,” the Munich-based company said in a statement in response to the report. “All emissions systems remain active outside the testing cycles.”

BMW shares traded down 6.2 percent to 74.9 euros at 11:59 a.m. in Frankfurt. Shares of other German carmakers also declined. Daimler AG as much as 4.2 percent, or 2.79 euros, to 63.63 euros. Volkswagen, which is at the heart of the probe and has lost about 20 billion euros in market value since Monday, recovered some of its losses, rising as much as 7.8 percent.

“There’s no suggestion BMW has done anything illegal,” said Juergen Pieper, an Frankfurt-based analyst with Bankhaus Metzler. “However, there are concerns for the long-term damage on the business with diesel cars for every manufacturer that builds cars with these engines.”

Car sales of the BMW namesake brand with diesel engines last year made up about 38 percent of total deliveries, roughly in line with diesel car sales at other manufacturers, the company said.

Emissions measured in road tests of 15 new diesel cars were an average of about seven times higher than European limits, according to a study ICCT published last October.

↡ Advertisement