At what mileage does car ownership become justifiable?

Alheych

I know there have been threads and surveys about mileage before, my question is a bit different.

A recent ST article said that the average mileage for cars have been dropping from 17,500km per year to 15,000km per year. Some experts say public transport has gotten better, others say budget airline got cheaper so people go overseas for the weekend.

Let's say this upfront: if we consider the cost of car ownership vis-a-vis public transport, I don't think most people's mileages are justifiable. The baseline for car ownership in Singapore is simply too high. So let's not make this another "COE too high --> PAP suck money --> vote them out --> 70% don't complain" thread.

What I'm really looking at, is a "magic" mileage at which the difference between car ownership and 100% taxi/Uber draws close.

Let's use per annum mileage instead of per month/per week, for a common denominator.

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

I know there have been threads and surveys about mileage before, my question is a bit different.

A recent ST article said that the average mileage for cars have been dropping from 17,500km per year to 15,000km per year. Some experts say public transport has gotten better, others say budget airline got cheaper so people go overseas for the weekend.

Let's say this upfront: if we consider the cost of car ownership vis-a-vis public transport, I don't think most people's mileages are justifiable. The baseline for car ownership in Singapore is simply too high. So let's not make this another "COE too high --> PAP suck money --> vote them out --> 70% don't complain" thread.

What I'm really looking at, is a "magic" mileage at which the difference between car ownership and 100% taxi/Uber draws close.

Let's use per annum mileage instead of per month/per week, for a common denominator.

Thanks!

For me, its always justifiable. I like to drive. But only when there is no traffic. So I usually drive out at night for fun. For commuting, I prefer public transport and cycling.

• Praise 3

Thanks!

All costs add up

Divided by total mileage

As long lesser than $0.60

Then is justifiable

60c is taxi rate

Mine is 40c

The loneliness of the long distance runner

• Praise 3

Thanks!

There's no real magic formula lah. It all depends on your purpose of driving.

Like for me, I don't put a lot of mileage on my own car. But when I actually do drive it's important to me because that's when I need to get somewhere quickly or need to ferry people/things, or need to go ulu places.

You really pay for the convenience. How often you need and use that convenience is entirely up to you.

• Praise 7

There's no real magic formula lah. It all depends on your purpose of driving.

Like for me, I don't put a lot of mileage on my own car. But when I actually do drive it's important to me because that's when I need to get somewhere quickly or need to ferry people/things, or need to go ulu places.

You really pay for the convenience. How often you need and use that convenience is entirely up to you.

well said bro. not able to praise you yet.

Agree that it is an intangible price that I pay for the convenience. Distance does not justify somewhat, but the journey. I can afford it, so I can splurge a little more.

• Praise 9

If you need to calculate and justify like this...you probably should consider taking bus and mrt.

Hard truth: If you buy a proper car, coe probably doesn't matter at all. Just petrol and consumables will already cost more than taking taxi.

• Praise 2

Given hazy situation now, even at 5k mileage a year, it's still cheaper to drive

I drive u in this k? You passenger behind, can sleep too

post-547-0-91253200-1443565067.jpeg

If you need to calculate and justify like this...you probably should consider taking bus and mrt.

Hard truth: If you buy a proper car, coe probably doesn't matter at all. Just petrol and consumables will already cost more than taking taxi.

Yup totally agree. Same as all who calculate bla bla... Goes to show the affordability issue needs serious consideration

• Praise 2

no mileage is justifiable
if one wants to buy a car, one buys a car

just like is it justifiable for one to

a. have more than 1 watch
b. upgrade to condo where can live comfortably in 4/5 room hdb
c. buy Hermes bag where any bag can do

with or without car still can reach the destination or do what the person doing
else how does he live before having a car

when i talk to a buddy in KL ... he told me ... he will die if no car ...

ok, i accept it's hard to move around without car in msia

then i told him ... well ... i do have other friends don't have car ... and they have not commit suicide yet

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 9

well said bro. not able to praise you yet.

Agree that it is an intangible price that I pay for the convenience. Distance does not justify somewhat, but the journey. I can afford it, so I can splurge a little more.

Likewise, my family car mileage is about 15,000 km per year. My lifestyle car only 5000 km per year. But I can afford it, and I enjoy driving it during the weekends. And occasionally when the kids both had activities at the same time, I have the convenience of having me and my wife take one car each to run separate errands/drive kids separately.

• Praise 1

Try asking the Q to those with 5-6 cars parked in their garage

Even if theirs clock zero mileage, they will tell you their car ownership is highly justifiable

They feel high [inlove] , sleep better at night [sleeping] and Happy index goes up [thumbsup]

For most others the justification is in the Journey not the Destination

• Praise 3

i work in the ulu industrial areas.. drive to work 15mins..aircon .. personal space..shiok..

take public.. prob 70-90mins... quite jam packed with commuters etc..

also need to fetch toddler & wife.. the car is for me a need..

unless i change office to town..

• Praise 3

LoL...I do not need a mileage figure to justify anything. I'm also not obsessed with numbers. It's the time saved that cannot be bought, things that can be done within a day that public transport can't. The main reason for ppl to buy a car is all about efficiency. And the reason why ppl hate taking public transport is all about its inefficiency.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

Thanks!

I didn't calculate all these and I don't really bother ...

I really enjoy driving... you have your own world, your own space while driving.. listen to music, and just wind down after a long day at work ...

There are just alot of intangible benefits :)

Of course, when the time is up around 10years, just buy a new car lor :)

• Praise 2

road tax coe and parf are fixed variables during my ownership.

drive less or more make no different to it. BOttom line, Drive... :yuush:

btw, me clock ~40k/yr

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 1

I agree with what many others have posted. no amount of mileage will be justifiable before ownership takes over if you don't see the purpose in it.

i need a car to ferry a baby and toddler to the inlaws everyday. be it only a short journey from Bishan to AMK, the mileage might be low but it sure beats controlling 2 young ones on the Feeder Bus > MRT > Feeder bus journey.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2