Boxster Tip 987.2 Maintenance

Eyke

Supercharged

May i know following for 10yr+ 987.2 Boxster Tip:

1. Annual maintenance cost

2. Cost to replace IMS bearings and rear main seal?

Thanks in advance!

↡ Advertisement

Looking to buy ah? Buy 911 lah.

Although I am sorely tempted by the new Cayman GT4, the one car I would take over a standard 911.

Supercharged
(edited)

Although I am sorely tempted by the new Cayman GT4, the one car I would take over a standard 911.

no like tail-heavy 911, prefer the more balanced Boxster, even though it's not as comfortable. Edited by Eyke

Its a manual car though.. No PDK option.

• Praise 6

Its a manual car though.. No PDK option.

No downside. Manuals are great. If there's a manual and a dual clutch option (and the latter is generally faster by a few tenths), I would always be very conflicted over the decision, and eventually go with the faster setup.

If they have nothing but a manual, goody! No conflict.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

I can't tell you local costs to own and maintain, but the 987.2 does not have the IMS, so the cost is $0.

Also, if it is a 987.2, it is PDK, not tiptronic. 

i guess the salesperson anyhowly key in "987.2" in the description then,

coz wiki says 987 Gen II only came out in 2009.

so this is only 987 and should have the IMS?

post-1698-0-11646500-1445072789.jpg

Edited by Eyke

Yes, anyhow give description. This is the 987.1 pre-facelift Boxster. Actually pre-FL understates how much different it was - the engine became bigger, 2.7 litres to 2.9 litres, transmissions went from tiptronic to PDK in autos, 5 speed to 6 speed in manual (although in pre-FL, 6 speed was an option). 

Easy way to tell - the facelifted cars have LED front DRL and rear brake lamps. Facelifted models only appeared in the 2009 model year. It is rumoured that the early 987.1 cars (2005) were more prone to IMS failures.

Annual maintenance cost depends on your mileage so lets assume 20,000 km

2 oil changes and filter changes per year about $400 x 2

IMS bearing and RMS are very cheap but the labor involved is quite xiong.

So lets say $2k in total.

Cheap cheap lah..... Waiting for you to join the Porsche brotherhood

Yes, anyhow give description. This is the 987.1 pre-facelift Boxster. Actually pre-FL understates how much different it was - the engine became bigger, 2.7 litres to 2.9 litres, transmissions went from tiptronic to PDK in autos, 5 speed to 6 speed in manual (although in pre-FL, 6 speed was an option).

Easy way to tell - the facelifted cars have LED front DRL and rear brake lamps. Facelifted models only appeared in the 2009 model year. It is rumoured that the early 987.1 cars (2005) were more prone to IMS failures.

Car dealers are mostly like that. They know f**k about the car and yet try to act otherwise.

Bloody goons

Supercharged

Cheap cheap lah..... Waiting for you to join the Porsche brotherhood

thanks, sounds reasonable.

can you recommend anywhere reliable i can get the car assessed, especially the engine, so i dun end up buying one that needs expensive repairs like engine rebuild?

thanks, sounds reasonable.

can you recommend anywhere reliable i can get the car assessed, especially the engine, so i dun end up buying one that needs expensive repairs like engine rebuild?

Sorry dude.

That is impossible to do.

NO ONE , absolutely no one can assess a car engine that well to confirm that it doesnt need any repair, without taking the engine apart to begin with....

You can only rely on mileage and service records largely as well as everything you may know about the car. Lastly, luck cannot be written off here....

Whats the mileage of the car you are after?

no like tail-heavy 911, prefer the more balanced Boxster, even though it's not as comfortable.

Unless you drive it so freaking hard or throw the wrong gear at the wrong rpm, you will not have the chance to experience any slides.

The 911 is very well balanced and rooted.

This from direct owner, me....muayhahahah

Supercharged

Whats the mileage of the car you are after?

stated as 85K only.

guess i'll go down to look see and check service records, if any, and go from there.

Unless you drive it so freaking hard or throw the wrong gear at the wrong rpm, you will not have the chance to experience any slides.

The 911 is very well balanced and rooted.

This from direct owner, me....muayhahahah

I second this. I've had far hairer moments in my M5 four door sedan on dry roads with DSC fully on than I ever did in my 911 two door sports car on wet roads. The 911 always felt very predicable and well behaved. It's mainly a question of torque. The standard (naturally aspirated) 911 has insufficient torque to get you into serious trouble unless you're really, really pushing. In contrast, a car like the M5 has bonkers torque with a non-linear delivery that can really catch you unawares at times.

So let me also reassure the prospective buyer- the 911's fearsome reputation as a widow-maker is largely undeserved unless you're talking about the really high performance versions. It's actually a pretty easy car to live with daily.

Edited by Turboflat4

Supercharged

the rear stepped out on me while doing u-turn,

maybe i applied gas too early/much  [:p]

stated as 85K only.

guess i'll go down to look see and check service records, if any, and go from there.

85k is low for a 10yr old.

But low mileage is not necessarily good.

Yes plse check service records if any.

When i got my 911, mileage was 70k , i had one round of major servicing done by Stuttgart including new aircon.

Cost $10k +++ , picked up by the previous owner who consigned the car to stuutgart.

Stuttgart gave me 2 year warranty on the work done.

After a few days of driving i went back to Stuttgart for some minor adjusttments as there was some wind noise. Those goons knew little and wanted me to leave the car there for complete inspection blah blah blah.

I even jhad a few words with the chief tech officer, some angmoh, who apologised and offered me some specials on my next visit.

But i never went back to them again becos i know the car better than them.

Muayhahahaha

I second this. I've had far hairer moments in my M5 four door sedan on dry roads with DSC fully on than I ever did in my 911 two door sports car on wet roads. The 911 always felt very predicable and well behaved. It's mainly a question of torque. The standard (naturally aspirated) 911 has insufficient torque to get you into serious trouble unless you're really, really pushing. In contrast, a car like the M5 has bonkers torque with a non-linear delivery that can really catch you unawares at times.

So let me also reassure the prospective buyer- the 911's fearsome reputation as a widow-maker is largely undeserved unless you're talking about the really high performance versions. It's actually a pretty easy car to live with daily.

Yup, it is very easy to drive and control.

Yet gives sufficient grunt for smiles when you gun.

the rear stepped out on me while doing u-turn,

maybe i applied gas too early/much [:p]

Becos, you stepped on the pedal thinking it was a Nissan Pulsar lah.....

applying the pedal too quickly and deeply drops the gear to 1 where the torque is heaviest and naturally can spin tyres.

• Praise 1

i guess the salesperson anyhowly key in "987.2" in the description then,

coz wiki says 987 Gen II only came out in 2009.

so this is only 987 and should have the IMS?

Maybe you should look at Porsche Preowned for a peace of mind.

Buying from a dealer who doesnt know what he is selling is er er.....

↡ Advertisement