Boxster Tip 987.2 Maintenance

Eyke

Edit : sorry wrong message. Was replying to post directed to someone else. Multi quote lagi confusing sia.

Maybe you should look at Porsche Preowned for a peace of mind.

Buying from a dealer who doesnt know what he is selling is er er.....

When Andy Tatlow was still inspecting these cars I had the peace of mind to buy from anyone after he gave me a good assessment. Now I don't know whom to trust.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

Edit : sorry wrong message. Was replying to post directed to someone else. Multi quote lagi confusing sia.

When Andy Tatlow was still inspecting these cars I had the peace of mind to buy from anyone after he gave me a good assessment. Now I don't know whom to trust.

AT is good with Air cooled but not so with new gen Porsches.

I think he knows that and has led the new gen porsches to Greg of Autostrasse.

I am not impressed with Autostrasse

Firstly they didnt do a good job on my headlight

I went home and removed my headlight and settled the job myself

Secondly, they dont accept me getting my own parts which i can understand but that will keep me away

AT is good with Air cooled but not so with new gen Porsches.

I think he knows that and has led the new gen porsches to Greg of Autostrasse.

I am not impressed with Autostrasse

Firstly they didnt do a good job on my headlight

I went home and removed my headlight and settled the job myself

Secondly, they dont accept me getting my own parts which i can understand but that will keep me away

Yes, Andy felt more at home with air cooled which is why he stopped doing newer cars. But I still trusted him because he was no nonsense and never acted pro.

And Autostrasse, that's Greg and Jennifer right? Oh boy I can tell you I never trusted them (particularly Greg) and never used them for anything major.

thanks, sounds reasonable.

can you recommend anywhere reliable i can get the car assessed, especially the engine, so i dun end up buying one that needs expensive repairs like engine rebuild?

Buying used cars can be a bit of a risk. 987.1 cars have the IMS, 987.2 do not. 

986 and 987.1 owners use magnetic drain plugs to hopefully get early warning of an IMS failure (metal shavings in the oil from the grenading IMS bearing). In many cases, the car goes from hero to zero in a very short span of time.

Rear main seals are common but not that critical. Porsches take a lot of engine oil.

There are IMS upgrades for the bearing on the market (LN Engineering). The bad news is, for the 987.1, it requires engine disassembly.

Cold start white smoke - some say it is normal and a characteristic of a car that has sat for a bit where oil has pooled in the combustion chamber, a lot of white smoke indicates the air-oil separator (AOS) going bad. Ask the dealer not to warm up the car before you visit. 

You can't see the engine without tools, you need a plastic spatula the prise the rear carpet deck off, and torx drivers to open the aluminium cover. If you want to see the engine, be prepared to bring these along. The good thing is, you can see quite a lot of the engine and gearbox just looking around the rear wheels - for leaks and such things.

A Boxster at idle sounds fairly different from a normal engine - the engine note has a metallic tone, there are ticking and clattering noises. It is best to bring an experienced owner to tell you what's normal and what's not. 

Aside from that, everything else should be like buying a normal used car - check for uneven wear, uneven panel gaps, and other mundane stuff. 

Edited by Macrosszero

May i know following for 10yr+ 987.2 Boxster Tip:

1. Annual maintenance cost

2. Cost to replace IMS bearings and rear main seal?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a boxster fan, and here's a link to some of the problems with early ones

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/Kaboom!.html

Those later engines were redesigned... Why not consider them?

Edited by Sturtles

Supercharged

Those later engines were redesigned... Why not consider them?

money no enough  [laugh]

must really think carefully on: 10yr+ Boxster vs new MX-5...

Sidetrack a bit hows the Sub ?

You mean the Rolex? I'm going to disappoint you greatly - I don't wear it that frequently any more. :D

OK, I started out wearing it almost daily, got quite a few scratches and scuffs on it, but I don't really care (can always get it polished periodically). But I just didn't want to be limited to the one watch, so I started wearing others, and that's the issue. The Rolex demanded I wear it practically daily, at least every other day because of the power reserve. If I didn't wear it over a weekend, power would be out by Monday morning. Have to reset time, etc., which I don't mind having to tell you, is a total pain for someone as OCD as me - got to sync the seconds exactly, make sure the minute hand is lined up, etc. So even without the date, it became a real chore.

Anyway, the Sub is in my drawer and I'm wearing my Casio GPS watch pretty much every day now. Such a great watch - when I went to Germany, I just had to stand at the hotel balcony to do the sync for it to adjust itself to German time (and vice versa back home). Plus it's super-rugged and solar powered with a massive reserve. I love this watch.

Sorry dude, probably not the answer you were hoping to hear. [laugh] But on the plus side, now that I'm back and working in a sedate environment, I might start giving the Sub wrist time again. [:)]

Edited by Turboflat4

You mean the Rolex? I'm going to disappoint you greatly - I don't wear it that frequently any more. :D

OK, I started out wearing it almost daily, got quite a few scratches and scuffs on it, but I don't really care (can always get it polished periodically). But I just didn't want to be limited to the one watch, so I started wearing others, and that's the issue. The Rolex demanded I wear it practically daily, at least every other day because of the power reserve. If I didn't wear it over a weekend, power would be out by Monday morning. Have to reset time, etc., which I don't mind having to tell you, is a total pain for someone as OCD as me - got to sync the seconds exactly, make sure the minute hand is lined up, etc. So even without the date, it became a real chore.

Anyway, the Sub is in my drawer and I'm wearing my Casio GPS watch pretty much every day now. Such a great watch - when I went to Germany, I just had to stand at the hotel balcony to do the sync for it to adjust itself to German time (and vice versa back home). Plus it's super-rugged and solar powered with a massive reserve. I love this watch.

Sorry dude, probably not the answer you were hoping to hear. [laugh] But on the plus side, now that I'm back and working in a sedate environment, I might start giving the Sub wrist time again. [:)]

Further side track, which Casio?

money no enough [laugh]

I was looking at the new ND yesterday... really look amazing... much better in flesh than pictures... and picture is already mouth watering. Wheel arches flare masculinely and definely on a different orientation of yesteryear's model..

Much cheaper to run than that of the boxster, but there are some softtop issues on the new launched model

Boxster or Carerra, i will get in SG when money is no object. Else i would err towards run-of-mill lifestyle cars.

Just my personal pov, not withstanding, this new miata is really good. Just needs FI to reach boxster levels. Can't beat the drive feel of a porsche, but not far behind

Edited by Sturtles

money no enough [laugh]

Seriously.

If really money no enough, dont buy.

You must at least be able to full cash this bugger very comfortably.

Dont go stressing yourself.

Alamak, you ah!

Supercharged

Eyke, you might as well buy my 911 !

Confirmed Steady!

if the depreciation is only $13K/yr I'll definitely consider

which shop can do the IMS bearing replacement?

doing research on it and seems this: http://theimssolution.com/ is a perm fix but wonder if any local shop brings it in and installs?

Bro,

Check out the sgcm link below

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/listing.php?MOD=boxster%202.9a%20pdk

09 and 10 years 2.9 PDK are available, but you have to be a vulture for it.. Lots of people on the side lines. The newer Porsches, due to the tiered Omv tax, are just more taxes paid to the government, without gain in any function/specs.

Check out Porsche owners club singapore

↡ Advertisement