Volvo S90 / V90

Carbon82

Problem is, Wearnes markup for volvo is higher than some of the Germans

Wait a while lor, Volvo oredi low OMV drop even more n maybe they need to finally drop price to sell

Yes... this is the problem with the current Volvo's selling price.  From sgcarmart's listed price, profits can be more than 50% which is essentially more than the OMV.  In general terms, the profits by wearnes is more than the factory plus the shippers.  As some bro mentioned here, it is not exactly value for money then,

I remember the S60T4 which I bought in 2012, profit then by AD was about 20k.  That was quite alright considering 3 years servicing was also included.

↡ Advertisement

The China made  Volvo S90, priced at up to $242K, is in the same price league as the E class and 5 series. No brainer which to get.

Ya agree 

is made in south africa any better? haha, if i'm not wrong, some 3er and c class are made there. Still see lots of them on the road

People buy 3 series for snob appeal. It's no better than a basic bread and butter Jap or Korean car, 

The China made  Volvo S90, priced at up to $242K, is in the same price league as the E class and 5 series. No brainer which to get.

People buy 3 series for snob appeal. It's no better than a basic bread and butter Jap or Korean car, 

"It's no better than a basic bread and butter Jap or Korean car"

haha say this in the bmw thread, they sure rebute

OMG is 3er so bad? some say is the benchmark for small executive sedan 

I agree if you are talking about 318/C180

ppl never drive before of cos will say lo

haha i guess wrong chat to talk abt bmw

the other bmw chat was saying how good bmw is vs Audi

The China made Volvo S90, priced at up to $242K, is in the same price league as the E class and 5 series. No brainer which to get.

Dun like that leh. Which basic bread and Kaya jap/Korean kar is comparable to a 3er?

Yes... this is the problem with the current Volvo's selling price. From sgcarmart's listed price, profits can be more than 50% which is essentially more than the OMV. In general terms, the profits by wearnes is more than the factory plus the shippers. As some bro mentioned here, it is not exactly value for money then,

I remember the S60T4 which I bought in 2012, profit then by AD was about 20k. That was quite alright considering 3 years servicing was also included.

Volvo used to be a value buy. Wasn't really all that atas but at least the sticker price reflects it, so all was good

When Wearnes bought over SM Motors, they took the badge upmarket in tandem w the improved product range. To a large extent, they succeeded as there seems to more Volvo on road nowadays.

But at the end of the day, the big 3 Germans and Lexus still rule on the atas mainstream badge game. Like it or not, Volvo is perceived to be a step below. If it was priced in that order, I don't mind buying my 3rd Volvo. But as it is w the high markups and PRC sourcing, kinda hard to make sense of it especially for those of us who were there b4...

• Praise 3

To be honest, I would not mind buying provided the price is right.

i.e. drop 15 - 20%.

Swede's engineering, made in China....

Either cut the prices or spec up the cars without increasing the prices, else I think their sales volume might drop.

Volvo used to be a value buy. Wasn't really all that atas but at least the sticker price reflects it, so all was good

When Wearnes bought over SM Motors, they took the badge upmarket in tandem w the improved product range. To a large extent, they succeeded as there seems to more Volvo on road nowadays.

But at the end of the day, the big 3 Germans and Lexus still rule on the atas mainstream badge game. Like it or not, Volvo is perceived to be a step below. If it was priced in that order, I don't mind buying my 3rd Volvo. But as it is w the high markups and PRC sourcing, kinda hard to make sense of it especially for those of us who were there b4...

:a-m1212:I so agree with this!

If you have choice between China made iPhone and German made iPhone, both same price and same specs you will take the China one?

There is no doubt I will choose the Chinese-made iPhone in today's world. The whole ecosystem of electronics manufacturing in China has gone so high tech that the Germans might not be able to compete in terms of cost and quality. China has gained significant economies of scale and technological advancement in manufacturing from learning-by-doing for decades now. Even Taiwan is behind.

Just look at how solid were the build of the iPhones from many generations ago. I am not an Apple fan but I have to say whenever I look at my wife's iPhones, iPad and Macbooks over the years, i have to give it to China that they built the them extremely well.

Visit some world-class factories in China and the truth is there. Social media will only show mainly the sweat shops etc because they generate clicks so it is biased. For every sweat shop, there is another high-tech factory building high quality stuff in China. For every cheap $1 products that most people buy from Taobao and then complain about the lousy quality, there is another high quality product made in China at the correct price.

For sure, the Chinese will be able to meet German's level of quality (at the right cost), but the German will not be able to meet Chinese's level of cost.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

In case you didnt know, a few years back, Wearnes did bring in a few units of Malaysia CKD XC60 T5 that were fully spec, and the OMV was $25K, supposed selling price was the same as their Swedish imported $38K XC60 T5 that were lower spec. You can identity them with their sunroof and higher equipment list like collision warning and adaptive cruise control that the Sweden built XC60 didn’t come with unless specially indented. Even XC60 T6 at that time wasn’t spec with collision warning and adaptive cruise control... Wearnes was probably testing the local market?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Cyf6DsO2w

Taiwan getting their Volvo from Malaysia assembly plant cos no trade deal from China. Singaporeans confirm pui chao nua if bringing from nieghbouring countrries.  [rolleyes]

I agree if you are talking about 318/C180

The 1.5 litre 318's 3 cylinder, 12 V engine, and 136 horses struggle to pull the 1.5 tonne body at standoff.

328, 330, 335 are no horse run 3series tt i hv driven before as rental or owned before

no b&b jippon chia anywhere near their in terms of power n driveability

unless u tok abt stinger. but then stinger is the rich man b&b car

There is no doubt I will choose the Chinese-made iPhone in today's world. The whole ecosystem of electronics manufacturing in China has gone so high tech that the Germans might not be able to compete in terms of cost and quality. China has gained significant economies of scale and technological advancement in manufacturing from learning-by-doing for decades now. Even Taiwan is behind.

Just look at how solid were the build of the iPhones from many generations ago. I am not an Apple fan but I have to say whenever I look at my wife's iPhones, iPad and Macbooks over the years, i have to give it to China that they built the them extremely well.

Visit some world-class factories in China and the truth is there. Social media will only show mainly the sweat shops etc because they generate clicks so it is biased. For every sweat shop, there is another high-tech factory building high quality stuff in China. For every cheap $1 products that most people buy from Taobao and then complain about the lousy quality, there is another high quality product made in China at the correct price.

For sure, the Chinese will be able to meet German's level of quality (at the right cost), but the German will not be able to meet Chinese's level of cost.

well said!!

perception is really up to individual right? no like it or not...

I put merc, jagaur, audi, bmw, lexus, land rover and volvo into 1 group = the premium (atas) group

↡ Advertisement