Renault Fluence 1.5 dci

Sopskysalat

I booked it on guaranteed basis at a roadshow, and got the COE on the 2nd attempt. At the roadshow, the SE seemed fairly confident of securing within 2 tries. 

I got my fluence privi COE on the 1st attempt. Have been driving it for the past 1 plus week, absolutely loving it.

SE quote me for additional 2 years service at 1.9k for 4xservice which include a timing belt change.. Worth buying the service package?

I am interested in the additional 2 years service as well. After how long do we need to change the timing belt?

↡ Advertisement

Please keep sharing how it goes as the months pass. Promise to do the same with mine from next month.  [drivingcar]

I got my fluence privi COE on the 1st attempt. Have been driving it for the past 1 plus week, absolutely loving it.

I am interested in the additional 2 years service as well. After how long do we need to change the timing belt?

I really hope my SE could secure the Coe for me next bid.. Then I could get my new car by 1st week May. My almost 10years latio almost there ady..

SE quote me for additional 2 years service at 1.9k for 4xservice which include a timing belt change.. Worth buying the service package?

Komoco 2 yr service package is $998.using timing chain. Includes aircon servicing as well and other stuff.

Komoco 2 yr service package is $998.using timing chain. Includes aircon servicing as well and other stuff.

Komoco for Hyundai? Elantra is using timing chain.. For fluence is timing belt ler...

Today i went to Renault showroom to see the car again.. Cannot stop myself.. Is like first love Lol...anyway those brother that already purchase.. What the package u all get from the se? Anyway now i am comparing between fluence, nissian sylph, Chevrolet cruz and lancer ex.. Feel free to share ur idea/comment/advise..this will also help me to do a better comparison

I evaluated 4 other cars in the $82-95K range before settling on the Fluence.

Had a rather detailed set of criteria, weighted scoring and all - overdone for sure - but bottomline, only the Suzuki Ciaz came close. Great handling, satisfying leg room, and more than decent mileage on paper (18 km/l). Plus a smart SE at Champion Motors. But the RS styling was not to my liking and wasn't keen on the colours offered. If these hadn't mattered to me, would be driving it now.

Accent 4D had a decent drive (for its price) but felt cooped up with 4 adults and 2 children.

The K3 Forte came close in ride comfort but felt the whizzbang features overdone and space-wise below par (in comparison to the Ciaz and Fluence). Feels great for the driver, but not so fantastic for the passengers. Also, I had no car to trade in, so it went over budget when working out the costs over 10 years of ownership with its sub-15 km/l mileage.

Attrage was up next. No competition price-wise and it's a very very practical car. But it felt rather "tin can"-like inside and. Cabin did not impress. And again, space-wise very stuffy with 4A, 2C. Just didn't feel reassuring for a parent with 2 kids. And I couldn't imagine driving it to Malaysia if I ever wanted to. But for those who want a functional car with the Mitsubishi name to it, this is a no-brainer especially with that kinda stated mileage (20 km/l).

And that's how it came down to the Fluence.

Loved the styling at first sight - conservative with a hint of edge towards the rear.

MASSIVE boot space (matters a lot for family of 4).

Doors close with a solid thunk. Step inside and it felt like sinking into a cocoon. Something in the seat design and also the soundproofing I suppose.

4A and 2C? Very nice and comfy, and with 6 air bags, presumably safer (let's not undermine its importance when we have multiple totalings on the roads these days).

Subtle interior design (some lambast the digital speedometer design, and it does take a few points away from the overall styling, but I let it pass). I just liked how everything inside felt to touch (and I got the basic edition).

The SE was non-pushy and patient, and the roadshow freebies (fuel vouchers, solar film, fatbike voucher) sweetened the proposition. 

But let's just address the elephant in the room shall we: MILEAGE. If it holds up, the savings are likely to be significant over time. Road tax will eat into quite a bit of it, sure, but that's a fixed cost (and who knows, might be adjusted either way), while savings are only likely to build up with the increased use that I anticipate. And, maybe it's just in the mind, but road tax is a GIRO thing that happens every 6 months; you don't feel its pain like when you burn $60 every week. $60+ every 4 weeks or so (if mileage holds up) just feels better. Throw in a couple of fill-ups across the causeway every now and then (since the 3/4-rule doesn't apply to diesel vehicles), and we might see even more $$$ remaining in the pocket.

Also, while I am no car nut, it appears that all that diesel-powered torque could count for something on our roads. Never driven a diesel before, so this I can't vouch for, nor know its impact until I am behind its wheels.

What could bring all this expectation crashing down of course is the reputation for reliability, and costs of servicing and maintenance. I took the merits of every car that I tested on face value and what I felt during the ride. Didn't consider Renault's reliability (or lack thereof, if many are to be believed). It's something I have to be prepared for. As others have said, if it's your luck, even the most reliable Jap and Korean cars can give you the runaround. The issue of course is the cost to rectify if something like that happens, and it looks like the Fluence may cost more if and when it breaks down.

So I fell back ultimately on what clicked inside when I saw and drove the car. It's intangible, but works in weird ways. It's a step outside one's comfort zone and preconceived notions, but let's see where it takes me. Case of heart over mind? Only time will tell.

Today i went to Renault showroom to see the car again.. Cannot stop myself.. Is like first love Lol...anyway those brother that already purchase.. What the package u all get from the se? Anyway now i am comparing between fluence, nissian sylph, Chevrolet cruz and lancer ex.. Feel free to share ur idea/comment/advise..this will also help me to do a better comparison

• Praise 2

Bro u really in love, lol thats why u ignored it's renault.

I don't know about the current tech in current gen renault but my dad bought a renault scenic in the early 2000s...i think 2003? he absolutely pui chao nua about the maintenance...every little sh!t thing spoil won't be cheap, and quite regularly will have some crap thing spoil here spoil there.

If only the looks changed since then...please do yourself a favor and look at other "beauties" instead.

Twincharged

Use esso or caltex. Both good for diesel. Never use spc. Low power and lots of soot. Tried A B A B testing many times already.

Use esso or caltex. Both good for diesel. Never use spc. Low power and lots of soot. Tried A B A B testing many times already.

Thanks for advice bro.. Will try my regular Esso!!

Hi Bros, can I check which kiosk u all choose to pump diesel? My preferences is Esso, which credit card got better discount?

• Praise 1