Roast goose

Rainbatt

nevermind. let's wait for the chefs go to another restaurant.

We shall get to have similar roast goose in near future.  (though the last standing charcoal roast facility will close also)

if have free roast goose to eat, I wont hiam

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Just found this article saying one HK rest is planning to start up in SG. Wonder if it is still on track.

http://www.soshiok.com/content/kams-roast-goose-open-here

To cater to the local palate, Kam's Roast Goose will be adding roast duck to the menu here.

It is not part of the Hong Kong menu. Other dishes for the Singapore restaurant include roast goose, suckling pig, soya sauce chicken, char siew, soup and appetisers, such as jellyfish seasoned with sesame oil.

A whole goose is priced at about HK$480 (S$86.65) in Hong Kong, and will cost slightly more than $100 here, due to the cost of importing the birds.

[sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

[sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

A whole goose is priced at about HK$480 (S$86.65) in Hong Kong, and will cost slightly more than $100 here, due to the cost of importing the birds.

there are many restaurants in Sinkapor selling ducks masquerading as geese..if the price is $30-60..its most likely not goose

HK Yung Kee will closed down?! Such a waste since it has been around for decades.

Yeah... it's been such an institution that it has its own building at the most prominent spot on Wellington Street...

But if you ask HK-ers, they probably don't think it'll be missed. Over the years, the standards have dropped so much that only VIPs on the 5th floor (who give big tips) get the highest quality food. Mere mortals get treated shabbily, which is how it lost its one star. Better to have closed it down when people would miss it than let it go when nobody feels for it anymore.

612664395a40232133447d33247d383238333730

• Praise 5

Got HK xmm told me before

Duck if not cooked properly got smell

Goose don't have so in HK nobody eats duck

• Praise 1

Saw this review about Kam's roast goose and it is mentioned inside that they are coming to Singapore. That's great news for all roast goose lovers in Singapore. 

http://www.misstamchiak.com/kams-roast-goose/

From a paragraph inside:

Maureen: We are excited that Kam’s is coming to Singapore! But why Singapore?

Kam: First of all, there are a lot of people who come to Hong Kong to try different food. A lot of customers do come from everywhere basically. In terms of, ‘Why Singapore first?’ It’s because I feel confident that it will work. We feel that it’s a good market to get into, and also, for Singaporeans, I think they’ll appreciate us bringing our tradition to Singapore because a lot of people come to our shop and appreciate our food. Singaporeans, I feel, really appreciate the food and the passion about the food. Like I said, I want to bring happiness and joy and the fun in this. This is one thing that I learned from my father.

Saw this review about Kam's roast goose and it is mentioned inside that they are coming to Singapore. That's great news for all roast goose lovers in Singapore. 

From a paragraph inside:

Kam: First of all, there are a lot of people who come to Hong Kong to try different food. A lot of customers do come from everywhere basically. In terms of, ‘Why Singapore first?’ It’s because I feel confident that it will work. We feel that it’s a good market to get into, and also, for Singaporeans, I think they’ll appreciate us bringing our tradition to Singapore because a lot of people come to our shop and appreciate our food. Singaporeans, I feel, really appreciate the food and the passion about the food. Like I said, I want to bring happiness and joy and the fun in this. This is one thing that I learned from my father.

Read the article I posted in post #42. They were supposed to start by this year so I guess it is talk only.

Edited by Kusje

They probably didn't realize the import restrictions in Singapore.

They did.

The biggest challenge Mr Chua faces is sourcing good quality geese. He is unable to import frozen geese from China, as they are banned by the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority here.

He and his chefs have tried American birds, but they were not up to standard.

They are considering using geese imported from Hungary or breeding them in poultry farms in Thailand or Malaysia.

- See more at: http://www.soshiok.com/content/kams-roast-goose-open-here#sthash.PfJIU3BH.dpuf

not good to be too famous! 

The curse of Michelin fame for Hong Kong eateries
For many eateries, getting onto the inaugural street food section of the Michelin Guide is the ultimate sign of recognition. But for some small restaurants, this coveted spot has quickly turned into less than a blessing. 
By Wei Du Posted 23 Dec 2015 

michelin-hong-kong-1.jpg

Pan-fried bun shop Cheung Hing Kee (Photo: Wei Du)

HONG KONG: Getting recognized by the prestigious Michelin Guide is the life-long pursuit of many in the restaurant business in Hong Kong.

This was no less true for Chiu Wai Yip, the owner of Kai Kai, a dessert restaurant. The shop's Michelin recognition resulted in an increase in turnover by about a third.

“We started getting new local customers. (The number of) tourists has also increased slightly,” said the 40-year-old.

hk-michelin-3-data.jpg
Kai Kai Dessert Store in Hong Kong (Photo: Wei Du)

However this soon turned bittersweet as the shop’s landlord wanted to double their rent from HKD100,000 (US$12,900) a month to HKD220,000 (US$28,383).

With Kai Kai’s Michelin-recommended dish, the Papaya White Fungus soup, selling for just HKD20 (US$2.50), the shop would have to sell 11,000 servings of the dish monthly to cover the rent.

“It’s impossible,” said Mr Chiu. “Even if we can do it, my wife, my son and I would be working for very little money here.”

Joe Lin, executive director of Retail Services at CBRE said of the hike: "The landlords expect them to do very good business with this (Michelin) recognition, so they look for higher rent from them.”

Fortunately for Kai Kai, they were able to find another available space in the same neighbourhood to move to. Others have not been so lucky.

For Shanghai pan-fried bun shop Cheung Hing Kee, its rent was increased by 40 per cent. Due to its location in middle-class neighbourhood Tsuen Wan, where tourists are few and far between, footfall has not increased by much despite its Michelin recognition.

michelin-hk-2-data.jpg
Shanghai pan-fried buns at Cheung Hing Kee (Photo: Wei Du)

Reluctant to raise prices for its buns, Cheung Hing Kee decided to move to Tsim Sha Tsui, a prime shopping district in Hong Kong. 

"It's regrettable really. The people in the neighbourhood supported us for all these years, but now we have to move away,” said Suen Kei, the owner of Cheung Hing Kee.

Unrealistic expectations from landlords is the worst curse the Michelin guide can bring to Hong Kong, said CBRE's Lin.

"When we talk about street food, I think the landlords have to adjust their expectations. These operators may not be able to increase their prices as (much as) high-end restaurants,” said Mr Lin.

As Hong Kong’s food outlets grow in fame and reputation, more of them might soon find themselves falling victim to the Michelin brand.  

- CNA/yt

After doing the math .. import goose expensive, rent expensive, cannot hire enough workers. [laugh]

But he is the one who brought tim ho wan over leh.

So the math should already all be done before he openly says he will come over. Anyway, end result for us is the same: no goose.

This is rubbish la. Landlord didn't do anything and wanna increase the rent. Damn too much.

From a paragraph inside:

because singaporeans can afford and willing to pay...

This is rubbish la. Landlord didn't do anything and wanna increase the rent. Damn too much.

they invested in the property... something that the food stall boss did not do..... sadly

outside chinatown mrt there is a sheng jian bao quite good... 3 for $2.50

Read the article I posted in post #42. They were supposed to start by this year so I guess it is talk only.

This review I posted is very recent, so maybe they have it all iron out. If shop goes all the way to ensure that suitable ingredient is use, then it can only be good things to us.

This is actually becoming a very serious social problem in HK. The apex of the society are ALL rent seekers. The list of top tycoons are all property developers, and everyone's aspiration is to buy property. It has made many restaurants with long traditions unable to survive - I remember reading one article saying that a heritage noodle house decided to close after its rent was increased; under the new rent, the shop would have to sell 600 bowls a day just to break even.

In this aspect, Singapore has been lucky. Because of the rent protection afforded to the original hawkers who were rehoused from the streets to hawker centres in the 1970s, we have been enjoying one generation of hawker food at affordable prices. These hawkers can afford to sell cheap because their rent is $200 a month or thereabouts.

But Singapore is fast in danger of losing that, see Dr Leslie Tay's interview last week:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/we-have-a-culinary/2339380.html

Now, this is where the problem arises. Right now you have a whole group of pioneer hawkers who are still paying a few hundred dollars for their stalls, because they're pioneers. And right next to them you have a new hawker who's paying maybe 10 times that for the same stall. That could be the scenario. And they’re both required to sell food at the same price. We’re not having a free market economy where the demand and supply determines prices, because we have this element of the Government subsidy.

And if you're talking about a pioneer hawker, he's already paid off his house, his kids are already grown up. They don't need much. And they're quite happy to sell something for S$2, S$2.50. Also, because their rental for the stall is so low. Right next to him, you have a young, aspiring hawker who has a family to feed. I mean you can't have some people paying S$300 and the hawker next to him paying five or six or 10 times the price. He still wants his five Cs, he wants his condo you know? And if he can't get it, why do this?

Edited by Alheych

These landlords are also f**king greedy. Raise rent by so much. I mean if u are doing a brisk business. How much increase capacity can u be getting? Ten maybe twenty percent more? These gougers raise rent like nobody business.

↡ Advertisement