Indian PM & Singapore PM at serangoon Vegetarian restaurant

BanCoe

Seems like the trend now is to host foreign VIP local food!

When China President was here, our President also host him with local food at the Istana.

I remember there was one foreign dignitary they catered for from Madras Woodlands (another old - but not as old as Komala Vilas - Indian vegetarian place). Was it the Indonesian President? Came in the papers etc - can you remember?

EDIT: found it: http://www.globalindonesianvoices.com/17540/president-jokowi-and-pm-lee-had-famous-nasi-lemak-for-breakfast/

Fare from different places, including Madras Woodlands.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

He is already operating at very close to 100% capacity, believe me (weekends got quite a queue to be seated). It's not like his biz really needs a boost. :D

Why the boss don't want to open another restaurant or re-locate to a bigger area ?  

Have eaten a few times there.... :a-m1212:       :a-m1212:

Go before the lunch time crowd at 11.00am is the best or at 5.30pm for dinner. 

Edited by Picnic06

Why the boss don't want to open another restaurant or re-locate to a bigger area ?  

Have eaten a few times there.... :a-m1212:       :a-m1212:

Go before the lunch time crowd at 11.00am is the best or at 5.30pm for dinner. 

There are another 2 branches (of the old Komala Vilas) in Serangoon area - one along Buffalo Road, the other along Race Course Road.

But I feel the food at the original one at Dunlop Street is still the best, IMO. The one at Race Course comes quite close though.

There are another 2 branches (of the old Komala Vilas) in Serangoon area - one along Buffalo Road, the other along Race Course Road.

But I feel the food at the original one at Dunlop Street is still the best, IMO. The one at Race Course comes quite close though.

Didn't know that.

Must try the other restaurant some day... [sunny]

I remember there was one foreign dignitary they catered for from Madras Woodlands (another old - but not as old as Komala Vilas - Indian vegetarian place). Was it the Indonesian President? Came in the papers etc - can you remember?

EDIT: found it: http://www.globalindonesianvoices.com/17540/president-jokowi-and-pm-lee-had-famous-nasi-lemak-for-breakfast/

Fare from different places, including Madras Woodlands.

Thanks for sharing bro. :a-good:

Next time I have foreign visitor, can let them try these few places and tell them, these are food that Head of State had when they visited Singapore ! :a-good:

• Praise 4

Thanks for sharing bro. :a-good:

Next time I have foreign visitor, can let them try these few places and tell them, these are food that Head of State had when they visited Singapore ! :a-good:

Komala Vilas is a much nicer place, to be honest. Madras Woodlands still has better dosai than Komala Vilas (but there are even better places if you want a recommendation for dosai specifically). 

The best dish (IMO) at Madras Woodlands is the Appam. Served with coconut milk and red sugar - taken with coffee; SHIOK!!

@RadX and I have been there twice. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

Not sure about Malay vegetarian, but there are pure veg (even vegan) Chinese food places in SG. Two good ones are Loving Hut and Nature vegetarian, both of which have more than one outlet.

But let me give you some of my own perspective here - which is likely to be fairly uncommon in SG. I was born and raised a strict Hindu style vegetarian (lactovegetarian, but we also occasionally ate eggs for added nutrition). Basically for most of my life I never had any desire to try Chinese food. Until I met my friend (a Chinese vegan), who started intro-ing me to those places. But even then, it took a lot of willpower to overcome the prolonged conditioning of my childhood - 'cos the look, smell, taste, even texture of that food is so alien to a pure veg guy since it's mock meat. So it took me a while to get used to it.

I imagine Modi (who is likely even stricter than me - probably pure lactoveg, no eggs) would be even more uncomfortable the first time. Takes getting used to.

Yep... I've seen a couple of veg Chinese places... though my concern if whether they have a halal stamp :D There's plenty of those here in SG so when living here... easy enough to sample all types of food.

True about what you say... Modi being a strict vegan** any exotic palate will probably take too much of an effort to digest... 

** India has a system of free mid-day meals for children coming from poor economic backgrounds. His party in many states that they rule has banned the distribution of eggs to govt. school going children as it is against their religious beliefs... 

Lost some business for one night but gained lots of publicity. Can imagine both locals and tourists wanting to try out their food after this.

Agreed !

only lost 1 night, but gained so much publicity and will eventually gain more when indian tourists come visit Singapore ...

So, who's the eventual winner? :D

Is this Appam? Tried before at the hawker centre at Ghim Moh. 

Appam2.jpg

Yes, bro, that's the one. I've only had the one at Madras New Woodlands, but I can tell you it's really good.

Crispy on the periphery, juicy and yummy on the inside. When you pour the coconut milk and sugar into the centre, it's divine.

Edited by Turboflat4

Is this Appam? Tried before at the hawker centre at Ghim Moh. 

Appam2.jpg

damn... I feel like having appam's now.... never going to get any work done today...

Yes, bro, that's the one. I've only had the one at Madras New Woodlands, but I can tell you it's really good.

Crispy on the periphery, juicy and yummy on the inside. When you pour the coconut milk and sugar into the centre, it's divine.

thanks.. Next tiem when I go Sim Lim, will drop by Madra Woodlands to try the Appam.

damn... I feel like having appam's now.... never going to get any work done today...

i never get a chance to try the appam in singapore, i used to have it almost everyday in KL, they were sold by street hawker and not necessary indian, could be chinese hawker. The appam is sweet and just eat it alone, they dun serve the red sugar nor coconut.

i believe the malaysia boleh food court at Jurong point have a store selling this (chinese style appam). 

or are they the same thing?

• Praise 1

Indian PM must be thinking

WTF i just came from India and wanna try some different cuisine

but these guys brought me to an Indian restaurant

:D

I know that feeling... on my trip to Mumbai, my local agent was an excellent host. After a few meals (we had Chinese, Italian and Vietnamese food), I asked the MD - who was a vegetarian - why we have yet to try the local indian food.

He then said he had been concerned that I, not being an indian, would not enjoy the local food. I then told him I had been looking forward to try the local food LOL. I also told him the hotel breakfast (Taj president) was awesome and I was glad I was staying for more than a week, so that I had the opportunity to try the many items on the breakfast menu.

after that, we went to makan at indian restaurants [laugh] He also hosted a dinner at the cricket club of india. :a-good:

• Praise 1

Prior to their visit, don't know how many times NEA visited the restaurant to check see got 'xiao xiang', 'lizard', rats, ants and houseflies....... [sly]

Don't know HSA had taken how many samples of food & spices for tesing.... :slow:

And the owner had to do a complete cleaning and white wash to sparkle & shine ... :TT_TT:

Days of preparations just for the 2 hours lunch ..... :a-m1524:

man, if it is good enough for one country to treat another country eat this one

the food must be damn good

I know that feeling... on my trip to Mumbai, my local agent was an excellent host. After a few meals (we had Chinese, Italian and Vietnamese food), I asked the MD - who was a vegetarian - why we have yet to try the local indian food.

He then said he had been concerned that I, not being an indian, would not enjoy the local food. I then told him I had been looking forward to try the local food LOL. I also told him the hotel breakfast (Taj president) was awesome and I was glad I was staying for more than a week, so that I had the opportunity to try the many items on the breakfast menu.

after that, we went to makan at indian restaurants [laugh] He also hosted a dinner at the cricket club of india.

I also like to eat indian food

Edited by Mustank
↡ Advertisement