My encounter with LTA officer

Zippaboy

about 1-2 years back, i encountered something similar with a LTA enforcement officer. 

I stopped at a roadside with engine and hazard light on to pass an envelope to my client who was waiting at the pedestrian walkway.

My back was facing my car less than 2 metres away, this LTA enforcement officer(outsourced type) suddenly came by and immediately stopped his bike in front of my car and started keying into his handheld system

My client told me about it and i quickly approached him. This is all less than maybe 1 min? 

I spoke to the officer very nicely, saying my engine and hazard light was on, i was just beside the car. I ask if he saw me beside the car, he replied yes. Then why am i summoned for parking? 

TRAFFIC ACT CHAPTER 276: “PARK” means to bring a motor vehicle or a trailer to a stationary position and cause it to wait for any purpose other than that of immediately taking up or setting down personsgoods or luggage. 

He just smile back at me sarcastically and asked me to go and try to appeal. 

Then i took a video with him admitting that i was beside the car and HE SAW ME THERE.  (since he asked me to appeal, i want to have some evidence to back up my story) 

I wrote in to appeal but rejected with the following reason "We have consulted the involved officer and that an offence have been committed." This is with me stating that i have all the photo and video evidences of the said incident.

I was really busy that period, i did not follow up and just paid the fine. 

It is not about the money, but you should have seen the look on that guy face...

↡ Advertisement

I would have locked the thread base on your original title, but if it is your own experience, you should not use the title of that case.

I would have locked the thread base on your original title, but if it is your own experience, you should not use the title of that case.

sorry about that, i got reminded of my own case because of the recent incident...

anyway the summon was for "parking opposite continuous white line......."

about 1-2 years back, i encountered something similar with a LTA enforcement officer. 

I stopped at a roadside with engine and hazard light on to pass an envelope to my client who was waiting at the pedestrian walkway.

My back was facing my car less than 2 metres away, this LTA enforcement officer(outsourced type) suddenly came by and immediately stopped his bike in front of my car and started keying into his handheld system

My client told me about it and i quickly approached him. This is all less than maybe 1 min? 

I spoke to the officer very nicely, saying my engine and hazard light was on, i was just beside the car. I ask if he saw me beside the car, he replied yes. Then why am i summoned for parking? 

TRAFFIC ACT CHAPTER 276: “PARK” means to bring a motor vehicle or a trailer to a stationary position and cause it to wait for any purpose other than that of immediately taking up or setting down personsgoods or luggage. 

He just smile back at me sarcastically and asked me to go and try to appeal. 

Then i took a video with him admitting that i was beside the car and HE SAW ME THERE.  (since he asked me to appeal, i want to have some evidence to back up my story) 

I wrote in to appeal but rejected with the following reason "We have consulted the involved officer and that an offence have been committed." This is with me stating that i have all the photo and video evidences of the said incident.

I was really busy that period, i did not follow up and just paid the fine. 

It is not about the money, but you should have seen the look on that guy face...

It was never about the money, as everyone would say. If it was not about the money, I would have ignored the officer and continue with what I am doing because Hey, who cares about the money? I wouldn't even bother talking to him. That will be the end of your encounter. IF money was not the issue.

Unless they add the following clauses to Chapter 276,

1) Or the said vehicle has it's hazard lights on

2) The driver is within line of sight of the officer and/or within 2000mm of his/her vehicle

3) And hereby the definition of immediately is amended to a time of a 60 seconds there or about, starting from the moment the officer arrives on the scene, not before.

I think it is pretty clear cut that you have parked your vehicle in a place where you are not suppose to.

The same situation happens in many places where drivers stopped their car along the road to buy food causing obstruction. When the LTA officer comes, they just run back and move their vehicle. By not summoning the cars, this problem keeps repeating into a cat and mouse game. The traffic problem continues and we waste manpower constantly enforcing the rule. If an offence have been committed, it is the duty of the officer to issue the summon. It is up to the driver to appeal if he has a reasonable excuse.

• Praise 6

By the way I think the LTA officer was not wrong and the LTA was right to uphold the officer decision.

We are allowed to drop-off people/goods at double yellow line/continuous white line right?

how is a immediate drop-off considered parking ?  

Twincharged

In this case, LTA officer is right. That is considered parking. And if parking is illegal there, then he can issue a summon. Sometimes they just have to be strict. Just opposite my block, there is this stretch where alot of people park and go to the coffeeshop and buy food. There is a zig zag line. In the beginning, The LTA officers always come over and turn on their blinkers while waiting for people to drive off, only those that never drive off get summon. It didn't solve the problem cuz no one was punished. Now they had alot of complaints and were instructed to don't give chance. So long they see the car there waiting, they just take photo and issue summon. Problem solved immediately. Lol.

• Praise 5

It was never about the money, as everyone would say. If it was not about the money, I would have ignored the officer and continue with what I am doing because Hey, who cares about the money? I wouldn't even bother talking to him. That will be the end of your encounter. IF money was not the issue.

Unless they add the following clauses to Chapter 276,

1) Or the said vehicle has it's hazard lights on

2) The driver is within line of sight of the officer and/or within 2000mm of his/her vehicle

3) And hereby the definition of immediately is amended to a time of a 60 seconds there or about, starting from the moment the officer arrives on the scene, not before.

I think it is pretty clear cut that you have parked your vehicle in a place where you are not suppose to.

The same situation happens in many places where drivers stopped their car along the road to buy food causing obstruction. When the LTA officer comes, they just run back and move their vehicle. By not summoning the cars, this problem keeps repeating into a cat and mouse game. The traffic problem continues and we waste manpower constantly enforcing the rule. If an offence have been committed, it is the duty of the officer to issue the summon. It is up to the driver to appeal if he has a reasonable excuse.

To put your above points in perspective, i give you another example. 

A taxi stopped at a normal double yellow line or continuous white line to pick up a passenger with alot of shopping bags/luggages/wheelchair, 

The driver came out to assist with the loading of the bags/wheelchair/passenger, LTA have the right to summon the drive for parking? 

A taxi stopped at a normal double yellow line or continuous white line to pick up a passenger with alot of shopping bags/luggages/wheelchair, 

The driver came out to assist with the loading of the bags/wheelchair/passenger, LTA have the right to summon the drive for parking? 

No, unless the taxi cannot specifically stop at that place. Eg No stopping zone, zig-zag, traffic lights etc

I think the question is did you pass to your customer then immediate go or pass to him, chit chat abit then left only when you saw the warden

I curious.. so was the evidence submitted or not submitted?

not submitted as they did not request for it and they have already "consulted" with the involved offier...

Twincharged

That isn't illegal because he has stopped with the intention to let off a passenger and the passenger's items. But if he stopped there and continued waiting after the passenger has gotten off then it is illegal.

I think the question is did you pass to your customer then immediate go or pass to him, chit chat abit then left only when you saw the warden

immediate. 

the officer admitted that he saw me at the car and when i turn around , he already keyed it in. 

The whole scenario, 

i stopped , went out of the car and walk to my client. Engine was still on as well. 

The bike immediately zoom over and stop in front of the car and key into his handheld.

It was like he was hiding for the chance and pounce on it as soon as i got out of the car. 

immediate. 

the officer admitted that he saw me at the car and when i turn around , he already keyed it in. 

The whole scenario, 

i stopped , went out of the car and walk to my client. Engine was still on as well. 

The bike immediately zoom over and stop in front of the car and key into his handheld.

It was like he was hiding for the chance and pounce on it as soon as i got out of the car. 

Yeah, it always feel like this.  :XD:

The guy at Adam Road flyover is waiting specifically for me too. I know.  <_<

It is the wrong comparison, if you were seen to be helping or unloading people out / in from your car I can guarantee no summons like the taxi driver.

For an apple to apple comparison will be taxi uncle stopped his vehicle and left to buy newspaper 2m away from his taxi. He too will get summon.

2 points: -

1. No driver was seen in the vehicle.

2. LTA officer did not see you stepping out from your vehicle so he cannot assume the vehicle is yours.

immediate. 

The whole scenario, 

think he waited for you to walk away from the car, then chance lai liao !!! ha ha

Anyway, which road is this ? 

oh well lesson learnt, next time ask whoever waiting for you stand by roadside, take and go

Edited by Othello

not submitted as they did not request for it and they have already "consulted" with the involved offier...

I thought it would be good to just submit all together with the appeal letter.

if I officer, I sure think.. if you have you already show me liao.. why only say say haha

↡ Advertisement