MCF kaki UBERers/GRABCARers

RadX

GrabCar, Uber drivers may need vocational licence soon
The licensing requirement is expected to be announced during next month's Budget debate. The Transport Minister had said that, where justified, the Government would level the playing field between taxis and private-car hire services.PHOTO: GRAB
PUBLISHED
3 HOURS AGO
Authorities also studying clearer markings on cars being used to pick up passengers

Private-car hire drivers operating under Uber and GrabCar may soon be required to have a vocational licence, under regulations expected to be announced next month.

A proposed training programme lasting at least 10 hours - shorter than the 60-hour taxi driver vocational licence (TDVL) course - is being considered by the authorities for these private chauffeurs, sources told The Straits Times.

The licensing requirement, which follows a review that started last October, is expected to be announced by the Ministry of Transport next month during the Budget debate.

There will be a "phase-in" period to allow drivers time to go for the vocational course, said industry sources who requested anonymity. It is estimated that there are tens of thousands of private-car hire drivers here.

Course credits attained during the proposed vocational training could also be used for the TDVL, should the drivers want to become cabbies.

Besides vocational licensing, sources said, the authorities are mulling over clearer markings on cars being used to pick up passengers. This could be through decals pasted on these vehicles to identify them.

There will be a "phase-in" period to allow drivers time to go for the vocational course, said industry sources who requested anonymity. It is estimated that there are tens of thousands of private-car hire drivers in Singapore.

Asked about the upcoming regulations, the Land Transport Authority said only that it was finalising the review. "More details will be made known in the coming weeks," a spokesman said.

With a regulatory framework, Singapore will join other countries, such as the Philippines and Australia, which are moving towards regulating an industry that has come under heat worldwide for allegedly competing unfairly with taxis.

Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan had said in October that, where justified, the Government would "level the playing field" between taxis and private-car hire services.

The head of Grab Singapore, Mr Lim Kell Jay, said vocational licensing can serve as an "added assurance" to commuters.

He said the company does its own screening in the form of "background checks, in-person registration, induction training as well as vehicle inspections".

Uber's general manager in Singapore, Mr Warren Tseng, said he was "hopeful of a positive outcome" to the review - one that will ensure drivers can continue to have flexible work opportunities, and commuters, reliable transportation options.

Private-car hire driver James Koh, 53, said if vocational licences become a requirement, part-timers may find it a hassle and stop driving. "We have been operating for so long without problems, I find it strange that we need to have a licence," he said.

However, National University of Singapore transport researcher Lee Der Horng said regulations actually benefit private-car hire services by legitimising them.

He said services like Uber and GrabCar should also disclose data on their platforms with the Government, as taxi operators do.

"The Government can have full visibility of how many vehicles are on the roads on a day-to-day basis, and how much mileage is clocked.

"By being better informed, policies can be adjusted to help solve transportation issues in Singapore, for example, by putting more taxis or private cars for hire on the roads."

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

What Q7? Mine M5 lah. Pundek, are you confused between me and another pundek? :D

M5 = Mazda 5? hehehehe 

What Q7? Mine M5 lah. Pundek, are you confused between me and another pundek? :D

M5 = Mazda 5? hehehehe 

I have my own car and interested on part time kind of Uber/Grab car driver.

Hope someone can advise:

Able to earn after minus cost(insurance + petrol + maintenance cost etc) if drive only 2-3 hour after working hour + Saturday?

How is the commercial insurance works & how much to pay generally?

Need to buy new insurance and terminate my current normal car insurance?

Most of uber/grab passenger call from city area compare or neighborhood?

• Praise 1

So they also want to regulate regulation on uber/grabcar same like taxi operators? Then what the use of allowing uber/grabcar here in the first place?

I think getting a vocational licence is not that bad an idea leh. The G could have put in place even more draconian measures like shutting Uber/Grab down as has been done in other countries. This proposal seems like a decent proposal already. 

Invest a few days' time to earn that licence, depending on whether it is Uber/Grab-specific or a full fledged taxi vocational licence, and can drive on with a peace of mind. With option to join a traditional cab company in the future if Uber/Grab doesnt have staying power.

So they also want to regulate regulation on uber/grabcar same like taxi operators? Then what the use of allowing uber/grabcar here in the first place?

Was there any approval given?

I think getting a vocational licence is not that bad an idea leh. The G could have put in place even more draconian measures like shutting Uber/Grab down as has been done in other countries. This proposal seems like a decent proposal already. 

Invest a few days' time to earn that licence, depending on whether it is Uber/Grab-specific or a full fledged taxi vocational licence, and can drive on with a peace of mind. With option to join a traditional cab company in the future if Uber/Grab doesnt have staying power.

If you know who's shareholder of Grab, you will know that there will not be any draconian measures.

I don't agree with vocational license.  It does not improve service quality.  Juz look at Taxi drivers.

I agree with more through background check on each & every driver to ensure safety of passenger.

I have my own car and interested on part time kind of Uber/Grab car driver.

Hope someone can advise:

Able to earn after minus cost(insurance + petrol + maintenance cost etc) if drive only 2-3 hour after working hour + Saturday?

Interested to know this as well. Could any Uber or Grab drivers enlighten us on this please?

They had been doing this overseas. There is a catch to it... It would be just like leasing cars from them instead of renting...

Leasing and renting got difference eh?

Supercharged

Interested to know this as well. Could any Uber or Grab drivers enlighten us on this please?

It depends on what car you drive and the petrol consumption. Eg Vios, Insurance = ~$1,300 /yr, petrol = $250 /mth (Ron92), maintenance = $100 /servicing

Just need to get it from either Uber or Grab, they have insurance partners price varies with type of cars ~$1,200 to $1,800

Yes to both, and you must register a company with SSIC code 49219.

Then transfer your private car to company car then to Z10 for Uber / Grab

Depends on time, if after working hours on weekdays, have to go city area. Weekend morning starts from Neighbourhood 

Leasing and renting got difference eh?

Well to them there is, leasing from my understanding they will put the car directly under the driver's company name, meaning he must operate with his own company and no liabilities to Uber. Driver pays for insurance, maintenance depends on the arrangement with the dealers.

Renting, the driver just pay weekly / monthly rental and no need a company just goes under Lion City Rental. Insurance and maintenance under Rental company

Edited by Carnoob
  • Praise 2

Besides vocational licensing, sources said, the authorities are mulling over clearer markings on cars being used to pick up passengers. This could be through decals pasted on these vehicles to identify them.

If the above happen, guarantee there will be much lesser uber and grabcar drivers... lol

Supercharged

If the above happen, guarantee there will be much lesser uber and grabcar drivers... lol

Unless it is on the car body if not Uber / Grab had been giving out car decal and "encourage" their drivers to put it up on their windscreen

Unless it is on the car body if not Uber / Grab had been giving out car decal and "encourage" their drivers to put it up on their windscreen

i presume it has to be noticeable from far...... if small small decal on top of windscreen... might as well don't put

Supercharged

i presume it has to be noticeable from far...... if small small decal on top of windscreen... might as well don't put

No lah, not small size about 3.5 inch by 3.5 inch car decal