Fibre broadband

Ysc3

Don't waste your $$ getting higher than 25mbps, international connection speed is only 15mbps max for most websites. The higher speed only allows u to connect faster to local partner sites, else it is also capped at 15mbps.

I upgraded from 15mbps singtel broadband to 25mbps singel fiber optics 1 year back ago and never looked back, ran connectivity test via speedtest.net and found that latency definitely improved typically 2ms vs 30+, download speed improved from 10ish to near 20ish, bonus is that upload speed increased dramatically from 0.5 to 10ish.

To sum it up, fiber optic experience lower latency, faster download and even faster upload. Webpages load pretty fast as a result and I have been doing more time on torrents :D

Definitely worth the upgrade especially with free opennet installation.

post-30152-1333516439_thumb.png

Singtel Speed Guide

↡ Advertisement

I just got it installed last week with on 50mbps. Previously on ADSL, so was kinda upgrade to fibre optics. So far so good. Speed is fast, stable, torrent climb is so much faster. 10mins finished one movie, few hours finished one whole season.

From what I've read, the wireless wifi capability of the 2wire modem (black color) they give is up to a speed 70mbps. So if you subscribed to 200mbps, then it's kinda wasted if your laptop/desktop is not connected direct. That's one reason why I didn't take up the higher speeds. Also, if you're previously on singtel ADSL using home charger to connect to another room for mio tv, that technology will not work. Will have to do a lan cable trunking to other rooms.

Yes, I'm pretty satisfied with the plan now. Recommended. [thumbsup]

what do you mean by "home charger"? home plug?

the 2wire modem is using G or N network?

Turbocharged

I just got it installed last week with on 50mbps. Previously on ADSL, so was kinda upgrade to fibre optics. So far so good. Speed is fast, stable, torrent climb is so much faster. 10mins finished one movie, few hours finished one whole season.

From what I've read, the wireless wifi capability of the 2wire modem (black color) they give is up to a speed 70mbps. So if you subscribed to 200mbps, then it's kinda wasted if your laptop/desktop is not connected direct. That's one reason why I didn't take up the higher speeds. Also, if you're previously on singtel ADSL using home charger to connect to another room for mio tv, that technology will not work. Will have to do a lan cable trunking to other rooms.

Yes, I'm pretty satisfied with the plan now. Recommended. [thumbsup]

you are talking about just Mio TV or are you talking about the internet connection?

Mio TV didnt try, but wall plug for internet is working for me.

you are talking about just Mio TV or are you talking about the internet connection?

Mio TV didnt try, but wall plug for internet is working for me.

what homeplugs are you on? i am thinking of routing cat5e cable via existing trunking or operate a pair of homeplugs.

i kinda regret not getting the ASUS NT-56U. but then again paying almost 200 for a router is [knife]. i only got my Engenius ESR9850 for $65. [flowerface]

Turbocharged

what homeplugs are you on? i am thinking of routing cat5e cable via existing trunking or operate a pair of homeplugs.

i kinda regret not getting the ASUS NT-56U. but then again paying almost 200 for a router is [knife]. i only got my Engenius ESR9850 for $65. [flowerface]

home plug from Aztech or TP link lor.. they superced our power plug as cat5E cable.

home plug from Aztech or TP link lor.. they superced our power plug as cat5E cable.

i am hesitant to use cos i got too many appliances with invertor technology.

Got it installed last week. Modem in living room. Wireless there can reach 60+ mbps (local) but my study room only hit 2-5 mbps. Suspect due to a wall in between. I need to make a sharp 90 degrees turn before reaching my study area.

Should I get

1. The router above and replace the singnet modem in the living room ?

2. Get the above router but put near my study area. Need to pair this and the singnet modem ?

3. Get the booster plug ? Does it work with fibre ??

All advice appreciated ! Thanks.

Got it installed last week. Modem in living room. Wireless there can reach 60+ mbps (local) but my study room only hit 2-5 mbps. Suspect due to a wall in between. I need to make a sharp 90 degrees turn before reaching my study area.

Should I get

1. The router above and replace the singnet modem in the living room ?

2. Get the above router but put near my study area. Need to pair this and the singnet modem ?

3. Get the booster plug ? Does it work with fibre ??

All advice appreciated ! Thanks.

bro what speed did you subscribe to?

dont think the wireless is because of the wall that give you 2 to 5 mbps. there is something wrong liao.

Any idea ?

But in another room which has a line of sight to the router 5 - 8 metres away can get 30 - 40 mbps.

Any idea ?

But in another room which has a line of sight to the router 5 - 8 metres away can get 30 - 40 mbps.

do you have a smart phone or a laptop? try to connect from same spot and see whether connectivity is similar and you will know whether it is router or adapter problem.

Any idea ?

Get a home plug or repeater to resolve the issue... [rolleyes]

Able to buy a repeater for this frequency?

are you prepared to lay cable for a wired repeater i.e. wired bridge?

else a wireless bridge meaning a second router positioned as a wireless repeater will effectively have its throughput halved because it now has to conduct comms for secondary router to primary router on top of usual routing traffic.

and as usual, the network throughput will drop to the lowest throughput link so your entire wireless lan throughput has effectively been halved.

House gonna be wired up on 14 Aug 2012.

Wh fibre in your experience using so far tops? Benefits?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement