Car insurance question: Is it possible to challenge a claim?

Drive

Tks all for the replies.

Yes, I just nudge his rear (in the carpark at such a slow speed), and there's zero visible damage on my front. But he don't want to settle and went on to claim whole bumper+replacement car+don't know what else.

Looks like there's no recourse but to LLST

so you hit him direct from the back???..............

In a car park how on earth did you hit him  direct on ???...........how busy was the car park???...........how close were you to him to be able to hit him?..................were you reading or replying text and didnt notice he stopped???...........

what is your ride and what is his ride???...............if a conti hits a jap ...........the damage is very different...........

I think you know best........

before you challenge anything...............think about what led to the accident...............

↡ Advertisement

This is the sad state, some people just like to claim gao gao even though it's a minor case

If u have taken photo of his car damage and yours, should be ok

Insurance company will normally assign a third party to assess his damage claims

I agree ts should have taken a picture of the damage so that it wont be exaggerated for the claim.  But still, ts is at fault for hitting the rear, so more or less will have to be liable.  That's why for such cases of small or no damage, should try to settle on the spot and sign a note of final settlement.  But I am not sure if such an arrangement is binding, meaning the other driver cannot claim anymore. 

• Praise 1

I agree ts should have taken a picture of the damage so that it wont be exaggerated for the claim.  But still, ts is at fault for hitting the rear, so more or less will have to be liable.  That's why for such cases of small or no damage, should try to settle on the spot and sign a note of final settlement.  But I am not sure if such an arrangement is binding, meaning the other driver cannot claim anymore. 

as long as no injury...........no gov property involve.............both parties agree..........is binding.............is like settle out of court mah.....................

• Praise 1

Ah well, that's life. If you bang someone in the backside, you become his bitch.

It's like the exact opposite of prison life. :D

so you hit him direct from the back???..............

In a car park how on earth did you hit him  direct on ???...........how busy was the car park???...........how close were you to him to be able to hit him?..................were you reading or replying text and didnt notice he stopped???...........

what is your ride and what is his ride???...............if a conti hits a jap ...........the damage is very different...........

I think you know best........

before you challenge anything...............think about what led to the accident...............

When I see your posts, I always think of Pacman, coming to gobble all those dots up.

Food for thought, yes???.................................................................. :D

• Praise 1

Tianmo has many dots in between his words , shows that he thinks carefully of what he writes . Or is it he is stuttering intellectually ? Lol.

Tianmo has many dots in between his words , shows that he thinks carefully of what he writes . Or is it he is stuttering intellectually ? Lol.

Both............. [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 4

Tks all for the replies.

Yes, I just nudge his rear (in the carpark at such a slow speed), and there's zero visible damage on my front. But he don't want to settle and went on to claim whole bumper+replacement car+don't know what else.

My understanding is tat if it is a new car, d insurance covers agent workshop repair within 1st year. If it is, d agent workshop conveniently will do a bumper replacement. Car owner also happy mah. Whatever d case, u need photo to show to ur insurance co for them to dispute if u think a simple touch up will do. But, some insurance co will conveniently pay if d amount not to huge to save uncertain legal costs. Good luck to you.

Turbocharged

the insurance company will go down to assess the damage before paying, so dont have to worry too much.

That's why once got into an accident, with 24 hours the cars involved must be sent for damage assessment.

Before that, do take at least HD video and pictures of the damage, closeup if necessary, and the accident surroundings.

In car recorder video footage of how it led to the accident will be useful too. Take it out before getting overwritten.

If it is really just a nudge without any damage or even hairline scratch, the claim can be easily disputed.

If somehow the insurance company still payout the $, u can dispute it, or lodge a complaint with GIA.

Twincharged

Tks all for the replies.

Usually if go back AD to repair, they'll just replace whole bumper. My previous experience also like that. Light knock only, but they suggested changing the whole bumper and changing reverse sensors and the bar behind the bumper.

Usually if go back AD to repair, they'll just replace whole bumper. My previous experience also like that. Light knock only, but they suggested changing the whole bumper and changing reverse sensors and the bar behind the bumper.

Not only ad, the insurance authorized workshops also like that, same issue, they will take the opp to change everything brand new, then claim from insurance

• Praise 2

There are people in the industry called loss adjusters, they are employed to ensure that repair quotes are reasonable. It isn't just a simple paper exercise of one chosen workshop issuing a repair quotation and the other insurance company authorizing the repair and paying out.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

There are people in the industry called loss adjusters, they are employed to ensure that repair quotes are reasonable. It isn't just a simple paper exercise of one chosen workshop issuing a repair quotation and the other insurance company authorizing the repair and paying out.

But for some reason, these workshops or AD can always justify why then need for a new part rather than just repairing the original one. I rmb in the case I was involved in, they said that it is because they will never be able to repair it to mint condition and only way to repair it to owner's expectation is to change the whole bumper. Claim went through.

The way I see it is that since it's rice already cooked to porridge already, there's no need to make it back to rice.

I reckon that people like to challenge in this type of scenario is, they are not happy the other party got a new bumper when the langah langah got no visible damage.... This story will repeat again and again and again....

Now, what is the claimed amount? $4K, $10K, $20K, $100K???

The fact is, when lagah and reported to insurer, your NCD is already affected and the premium loading is looming in your next renewal.

So, whether it's a 100K claim or 4K claim, you know what's going to happen next.

If the other party had claimed 10K, 20K, I say, so be it. What are you going to challenge? Your insurer will pay out from their pocket, not yours. That's why you bought insurance. It's not that if you are successful to cut the claim down from 20K to 4K, your NCD will be intact and your premium loading will be significantly reduced. Yes, probably will reduce, but it's insignificant, probably something like $500 to$450 loading kind of things. It's never proportional.

So, unless it's a ridiculous out of the mind $100K claim for such a no visible damage claim, why fret over it?

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1