Car insurance question: Is it possible to challenge a claim?

Drive

This type of minor langah langah case is actually the best earn for all parties except both drivers.

The workshop, no need to mention, is earning the most out of this. [laugh]

Next, the lawyer earns too. Easy peasy case, yet fee is reasonable wrt to time spent. Most likely relegated to junior or interns..., but charge real lawyer fees. :D

The insurers also earn. :grin:

The losers? Both drivers including the victim even though (s)he gets a "new" [lipsrsealed] bumper.

The insurers only don't like real fraudulent cases, but this type of genuine accident, laugh their way to their banks.

Everyone needs to make a living you know...

this is feeding a whole cottage industry. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

This type of minor langah langah case is actually the best earn for all parties except both drivers.

The workshop, no need to mention, is earning the most out of this. [laugh]

Next, the lawyer earns too. Easy peasy case, yet fee is reasonable wrt to time spent. Most likely relegated to junior or interns..., but charge real lawyer fees. :D

The insurers also earn. :grin:

The losers? Both drivers including the victim even though (s)he gets a "new" [lipsrsealed] bumper.

The insurers only don't like real fraudulent cases, but this type of genuine accident, laugh their way to their banks.

Everyone needs to make a living you know...

Sure or not, victim also loose. Can get courtesy car or $100/day for lost of use of car leh.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Sure or not, victim also loose. Can get courtesy car or $100/day for lost of use of car leh.

depends on how u see it..

last time i got hit in the butt, although i was given a 'courtesy' car, it was not the same merc model from c&c. their C and E were all allocated out.

then their contractor initially wanted to give me an altis (wtf!!!) but i was 'lucky', that also ran out.

so they gave me a perhaps 9yr old camry that was rocking like a boat.

drove that shit for about 1 week before i finally got my own car back.

though i got a new bumper, boot, reverse sensors and rear camera, my car got degraded into an 'accident' car from then onwards..  :a-bang:

last time i got hit in the butt, although i was given a 'courtesy' car, it was not the same merc model from c&c. their C and E were all allocated out.

then their contractor initially wanted to give me an altis (wtf!!!) but i was 'lucky', that also ran out.

though i got a new bumper, boot, reverse sensors and rear camera, my car got degraded into an 'accident' car from then onwards.. :a-bang:

On the hindsight, lucky its u got reared ended, not u kiss others butt :D

• Praise 1

The "new" bumper, etc.... may not be the real new although they stand by it that it's "new". 

It's not unusual for workshops to plastic wrap old bumper and pass it as "new" especially for those popular make/models. So, your "new" bumper may be recycled from someone's else accident bumper or workshop plastic wrap your existing bumper, but charge as new bumper.

though i got a new bumper, boot, reverse sensors and rear camera, my car got degraded into an 'accident' car from then onwards..  :a-bang:

That's why I hope those tailgaters behind me will change lane and go away. Once knock liao, my car is no longer accident free.

Turbocharged

The "new" bumper, etc.... may not be the real new although they stand by it that it's "new".

It's not unusual for workshops to plastic wrap old bumper and pass it as "new" especially for those popular make/models. So, your "new" bumper may be recycled from someone's else accident bumper or workshop plastic wrap your existing bumper, but charge as new bumper.

Sent it back to CnC as it was still under warranty back then... Don't think they would dare to use recon stuff and slap 15k repair bill to the insurance..

I'm new here. But after reading the various posts regarding insurance claims, it seems there are more bad experience than good. Maybe that's because the good ones don't bother to leave behind good words in forums? 

I observe that under the MCF, there seems to be some forms of guidelines or control for claims against own insurance, with the requirement for the claimant to send the car to the insurer's authorized workshop.

However, for 3rd party claims, there is a major loophole where any workshop can be approached to perform the repairs, with the said workshop to settle the claims from the other party's insurer. This might be the avenue for the unscrupulous workshops to inflate the repair costs. Although I was told that the workshops have to wait for the 3rd party insurer's assessor to perform the assessment before the repairs can be carried out. Not too sure if this will address the inflated claims issue.

For 3rd party claims, why doesn't the MCF insist that the repairs be carried out at the 3rd party insurer's authorized workshop just like the case for claims against own's insurance? 

Of course, I know some of you might say that since one is not at fault and is claiming against 3rd party, why should one send his Mercedes, for e.g., to some authorized workshops which don't specialize in high end cars like Mercedes; or the Mercedes could be under warranty and repairs should be performed at the Authorized Dealers.

Is there no other better way to handle 3rd party claims?

I'm new here. But after reading the various posts regarding insurance claims, it seems there are more bad experience than good. Maybe that's because the good ones don't bother to leave behind good words in forums? 

I observe that under the MCF, there seems to be some forms of guidelines or control for claims against own insurance, with the requirement for the claimant to send the car to the insurer's authorized workshop.

However, for 3rd party claims, there is a major loophole where any workshop can be approached to perform the repairs, with the said workshop to settle the claims from the other party's insurer. This might be the avenue for the unscrupulous workshops to inflate the repair costs. Although I was told that the workshops have to wait for the 3rd party insurer's assessor to perform the assessment before the repairs can be carried out. Not too sure if this will address the inflated claims issue.

For 3rd party claims, why doesn't the MCF insist that the repairs be carried out at the 3rd party insurer's authorized workshop just like the case for claims against own's insurance? 

Of course, I know some of you might say that since one is not at fault and is claiming against 3rd party, why should one send his Mercedes, for e.g., to some authorized workshops which don't specialize in high end cars like Mercedes; or the Mercedes could be under warranty and repairs should be performed at the Authorized Dealers.

Is there no other better way to handle 3rd party claims?

"Is there no other better way to handle 3rd party claims?" - this is a very good question ...

Unfortunately whatever way there is (or can be), as long as it is NOT legislated, it is back to square 1. 

↡ Advertisement