Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

Divers

(edited)

so, given a choice, go with A2 is better ?

Seems like it. If you have the chance, go compare the 2 tires. From what i know, hardly any of them left in the market.

Edited by Fastfive1
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hello,

I am currently looking to upgrade my rims to 18" and am considering Goodyear Asymmetric 3 tyre. 

How would you guys rate Asymmetric 3 from a comfort view point? Is it biased more towards a comfy and quiet ride?

Looking for a comfort biased tyre with decent performance in the wet (able to "clear" water from contact patch efficiently to prevent "floating" feel) from a reputable manufacturer, "slow driver" here so I don't need super duper gripy tyres for cohering. 

Thanks. 

(edited)

You can try the Goodyear A3 for yourself but don't blame me if you waste money. It seems that people who don't expect much out of the tire are okay with it. It has a weird problem which is the super weak sidewall. Sure you can't have the best of everything but something as crucial as the sidewall was clearly ignored. Unless you are going to be travelling in the rain almost 70% of the time, these tires are not worth getting. Besides there are other tires which provide decent dry and wet performance. So don't be fooled by the cheap pricing relative to Continental or Michelin. There is always a reason why things are cheaper.

Again, it greatly depends on what kind of expectations you have. Maybe for someone who has been on westlake tires most of his life and suddenly switches to goodyear might feel a vast difference in quality. But if you have been used to Michelin and Continental, then you will be disappointed. 

I just got A2 few months back. What are the Michelin and Continental equivalence of A3? 

Edited by Jellandross

(edited)

Put it this way. It's like you being used to meeting hot girls off tinder who look like who they are in their profile pic and then you meet a girl who looks nothing like the person in their profile pic, you confirm will get pissed off and make noise right? Like that lor. Goodyear's advertisements will f**king mislead you into thinking you are getting a good tire.

Perhaps they are using the moderately good name of the asymmetric series to bank on more models hence sales.

Merely following the footsteps of Michellin. Was led to believe PS3 is the successor of PS2, then realised the real successor was PSS. PS3 is nowhere comparable to the old PS2.

Looks like Goodyear may come out with an assymetric model called ASS

Edited by Sturtles
  • Praise 1

I just got A2 few months back. What are the Michelin and Continental equivalence of A3? 

I don't know what exactly you're asking. Are you asking me which tire from Michelin and Continental should be used to do a comparison between the 3 brands' ultra high performance tire line up? If so probably the PSS and CSC5.

If you're asking me which tire from Michelin and Continental are as shitty as the A3s, I can't answer that because I haven't had a shitty tire from either company. I believe that Michelin won't produce something as shitty as the A3. Even the Continentals that came on my Jetta 3 years ago perform better than the A3. 

Perhaps they are using the moderately good name of the asymmetric series to bank on more models hence sales.

Merely following the footsteps of Michellin. Was led to believe PS3 is the successor of PS2, then realised the real successor was PSS. PS3 is nowhere comparable to the old PS2.

Looks like Goodyear may come out with an assymetric model called ASS

Possible, and then you will have a tire that handles like ass. Hahahaha!

Ok la PS3, for the $$$ not too bad for moderate sporty driving. 

Yea..

The price was a good deal cheaper when I compared it to the flagship tires of other western brands, and only to find that PS3 is a Preceda replacement, then the price is a raw deal... could have gone for hankooks at cheaper prices if I had looked at the Preceda range.

(edited)

Yea..

The price was a good deal cheaper when I compared it to the flagship tires of other western brands, and only to find that PS3 is a Preceda replacement, then the price is a raw deal... could have gone for hankooks at cheaper prices if I had looked at the Preceda range.

When i changed to Assy 2 just early this year (previously on PS3, so wanted to try something else), my price/tyre comparisons (BMW 116i, car left 2 years till end of COE) : 

Bold is what i shortlisted and in the end bought the underlined

Size: 225/40/18

Autokinetics: PS3 $220 / Dunlop Sportmaxx RT $215 / GY Assy2 $200

Leong Seng: GY Assy2 $180 / PS3 $190

Hurry: GY ASY2 $180 / Dunlop (Malaysia) $150 Fomula D

Hankook: V12 evo 2 $205

AL tyres: Kumho PS31 $145 / Used Continental $450

SE Tyres: GY Assy2 $205

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

When i changed to Assy 2 just early this year (previously on PS3, so wanted to try something else), my price/tyre comparisons (BMW 116i, car left 2 years till end of COE) : 

Good Price for the AS2.

Have not tried AS2, as the cracking issues reported in the 1st generation held me back.

Currently using CSC5s, and I like the quiet ride it gives

I solute Korean tire Hankook(Hyundai) market higher than German made American Goodyear(GM) [thumbsup]

I personal POV you can forget about the Formula D if you are running on any Quality tire

not sure GY had resolve the sidewall crack issue, anyway should this surface again it is fair to bring back to your tireshop or workshop for GY technical inspection

My review after clocking about 600km with the tires.

They drive like shit.These tires are only good in the rain but other than that they suck on the dry. Cornering now relies on how big your balls are when the tires don't give good feedback to the driver. These tires are worth at most 100 bucks per side. Well, that's the kinda price you pay for cheap Nexens which could probably perform better than this shitty tire. The people at goodyear seem to think that their tire has been put through enough tests to be considered good. Sadly it doesn't mean anything in real world driving conditions. My biggest regret is thinking I could save some cash on tires by these instead of Michelin PSS.

If you're too lazy to read the chunk of text, here's the short version.

THESE TIRES SUCK! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING THEM!

Bro, i'm not sure what's wrong with your setup. I've been using goodyear since Assy1 to Assy2 and now Assy3. They are really good in the dry. I'm driving a rear wheel drive car and i can really corner fast with it. Even accerlerating while cornering. I believe it could be due to something else that make this tyre dun perform.

Just a note, i've used tyres like Toyo T1R, Bridegestone G3, Yokohama Advan V103, Michelin PSS, Hankook V12 Evo, Falken F452, and etc... And i stick to GY Assy since i started using Assy1. Reason is very simple. It performs best and lasted a good deal up to 40k km with good threadeear and with great dry performance till the lastbit of rubber left.

I did not comment about wet performance because my view is, no matter what tyres u used, none of them can perform safely in wet. But GY is good enough... In fact one of the best in wet.

Some may swear by PSS and Advan V103 for it's great dry grip. But i can assure u that GY Assy is definitely at the same level of performance compared to Michelin PSS and Advan V103, yet lasted a great deal longer than those.

To me, GY Assy is a great all round performance tyre, that last and prices itself reasonable.

I commented so much just to share my truful point of view.. And i have nothing to do with GY.. I'm even willing to meetup with common car interested people like u here in the forum to exchange views and try different tyres to expand our knowledge.

• Praise 6

Depends on What's F1A3 speed rating...

Continental Csc5 is rated V up to 240km/hr.. Csc5p higher at W up to 270..

Michelin PSS is W is I'm not wrong

Depends on What's F1A3 speed rating...

Continental Csc5 is rated V up to 240km/hr.. Csc5p higher at W up to 270..

Michelin PSS is W is I'm not wrong

Goodyear Assy 1-3 has a Y speed rating which is good for up to 300km/h and it's higher than W or Z rating..

Bro, i'm not sure what's wrong with your setup. I've been using goodyear since Assy1 to Assy2 and now Assy3. They are really good in the dry. I'm driving a rear wheel drive car and i can really corner fast with it. Even accerlerating while cornering. I believe it could be due to something else that make this tyre dun perform.

Just a note, i've used tyres like Toyo T1R, Bridegestone G3, Yokohama Advan V103, Michelin PSS, Hankook V12 Evo, Falken F452, and etc... And i stick to GY Assy since i started using Assy1. Reason is very simple. It performs best and lasted a good deal up to 40k km with good threadeear and with great dry performance till the lastbit of rubber left.

I did not comment about wet performance because my view is, no matter what tyres u used, none of them can perform safely in wet. But GY is good enough... In fact one of the best in wet.

Some may swear by PSS and Advan V103 for it's great dry grip. But i can assure u that GY Assy is definitely at the same level of performance compared to Michelin PSS and Advan V103, yet lasted a great deal longer than those.

To me, GY Assy is a great all round performance tyre, that last and prices itself reasonable.

I commented so much just to share my truful point of view.. And i have nothing to do with GY.. I'm even willing to meetup with common car interested people like u here in the forum to exchange views and try different tyres to expand our knowledge.

Not sure if it has anything to do with your tire size. But for 225/45/18, most tire brands have a rather flat sidewall. Michelin PSS probably being the flattest. The Goodyear A3s didn't have a flat sidewall but one which was curved like those shitty tires on the sonata taxis. I think you would have noticed that the A3s give a very quiet and comfy ride compared to the A2s. I drove a car with A2s fitted on and it felt much better than the A3s. 

I beg to differ, the dry grip of the A3 is nothing compared to the PSS. While the PSS may wear faster (lasted me 38k km), you definitely feel more secure driving it. PSS is predictable when it comes to at the limit driving. It gives you sufficient feedback to know when not to push it any more. The A3s did nothing of that sort. its usually guesswork with the A3s. The saving grace about the A3 is that is handles aquaplaning well but that's its only advantage. In fact, probably the only thing it might actually be better at compared to the PSS.

Here's the thing i've realised about people who get goodyear tires, their are looking for a value for money tire. That was the same mindset i had when i purchased these f**ked up tires. You may say it's decent but that's probably due to the expectations you have of the tire. I have a different set of expectations. So yeah, get the goodyear A3 if you are looking for a more comfy ride, otherwise paying a little more for a set of PSS would be a better choice. Most places sell PSS 245/40/18 for around 270-280. I'm not sure how much cheaper the A3s are gonna be. But for a few dollars more, you can save yourself the misery the goodyear A3s will bring you. 

I am on 2nd set of ASY2, with the first set lasting ~60K km (would be able to last longer if not for the uneven wear due to my rear wheel alignment). After fixed the alignment issues, my 2nd set (currently close to 30K km) is going good. Even road noise is as good as new, which I have never come across with other brand.

I am not a fast driver thus I find both wet and dry performance very satisfying, and noise level is well within my expectations. I used to worry about side wall issues (read on line) but since the 1st set don't exhibit this issue, I go for the next set without any hesitation. Now looking forward to ASY3...

• Praise 4

Not sure if it has anything to do with your tire size. But for 225/45/18, most tire brands have a rather flat sidewall. Michelin PSS probably being the flattest. The Goodyear A3s didn't have a flat sidewall but one which was curved like those shitty tires on the sonata taxis. I think you would have noticed that the A3s give a very quiet and comfy ride compared to the A2s. I drove a car with A2s fitted on and it felt much better than the A3s.

I beg to differ, the dry grip of the A3 is nothing compared to the PSS. While the PSS may wear faster (lasted me 38k km), you definitely feel more secure driving it. PSS is predictable when it comes to at the limit driving. It gives you sufficient feedback to know when not to push it any more. The A3s did nothing of that sort. its usually guesswork with the A3s. The saving grace about the A3 is that is handles aquaplaning well but that's its only advantage. In fact, probably the only thing it might actually be better at compared to the PSS.

Here's the thing i've realised about people who get goodyear tires, their are looking for a value for money tire. That was the same mindset i had when i purchased these f**ked up tires. You may say it's decent but that's probably due to the expectations you have of the tire. I have a different set of expectations. So yeah, get the goodyear A3 if you are looking for a more comfy ride, otherwise paying a little more for a set of PSS would be a better choice. Most places sell PSS 245/40/18 for around 270-280. I'm not sure how much cheaper the A3s are gonna be. But for a few dollars more, you can save yourself the misery the goodyear A3s will bring you.

Hmmm.. To each his own.

Glad that u mention A2 is pretty good.

I probably need more time with A3 to find out more about what u mentioned, am also waiting for A3 with my rear size to reach our shore so that i can get it changed. My rear is reaching it's end of life..

Btw, the sizes i'm using is 245/35/19 for front A3, rear is 275/30/19 still on the older As...

And i would like to clarify that 'value for money' i mentioned here doesn't compromise safety.. I dun want to mention the fact that i'm not those who drives slow..

For the small price difference, i will go for PSS if it performs better cos i always believe tyre is the only contact with the road and u better spend on it and not scrimp on it.

In the event when i was using PSS, i bought the 5th pc, due to the fact that it had a soft sidewall and accidentally hitting a abandoned piece of brick caused the sidewall to crack. That was just after 1 week of usage. This is definitely my own fault.

But as a matter of fact i think PSS is a lighter tyre than GY.

Our personal opinions will just shed some light for other fellow brothers/sisters out there.. Maybe we need more voices from people who had tried both the tyres to share..

Have a good week ahead.. ;)

Hmmm.. To each his own.

Glad that u mention A2 is pretty good.

I probably need more time with A3 to find out more about what u mentioned, am also waiting for A3 with my rear size to reach our shore so that i can get it changed. My rear is reaching it's end of life..

Btw, the sizes i'm using is 245/35/19 for front A3, rear is 275/30/19 still on the older As...

And i would like to clarify that 'value for money' i mentioned here doesn't compromise safety.. I dun want to mention the fact that i'm not those who drives slow..

For the small price difference, i will go for PSS if it performs better cos i always believe tyre is the only contact with the road and u better spend on it and not scrimp on it.

In the event when i was using PSS, i bought the 5th pc, due to the fact that it had a soft sidewall and accidentally hitting a abandoned piece of brick caused the sidewall to crack. That was just after 1 week of usage. This is definitely my own fault.

But as a matter of fact i think PSS is a lighter tyre than GY.

Our personal opinions will just shed some light for other fellow brothers/sisters out there.. Maybe we need more voices from people who had tried both the tyres to share..

Have a good week ahead.. ;)

Ah you see, the difference is in the sidewall. You have a very narrow sidewall so they probably aren't as rounded as the 225/45/18 profile and you probably won't feel the softness as much. 

(edited)

I solute Korean tire Hankook(Hyundai) market higher than German made American Goodyear(GM) [thumbsup]

Ya, market higher price, dunno why wld anyone who knows better choose to buy it. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
↡ Advertisement