Selling one year old Piano

lakopi

Twincharged

Seems like a lot of parents are getting their children into music, so much so that it has become something essential.

My wife push my children pretty hard in music and my 10 year old already passed grade 8 in violin and will be going to diplomas. He started piano 1.5 years ago and will be taking grade 5.

The amount of money spent is mind boggling. Is it worth spending so much? I don't know.

Yep. It seems like nowadays, it is odd to not learn any music instrument. I think its because the parents have seen their friends who were considered special cuz they know how to play the piano, violin or other instruments so now they want to make sure their kids don't "lose out" like they did when they were in school. When I was in Primary school like 13 years ago, it was uncommon to learn the piano and those that knew how to play the piano always get picked by the teacher to lead the students during music lessons.

I guess I am lucky that all my kids love the piano. So I didn't need to force them. I think it helped that I already had a piano at home and they were messing around with it ever since they knew that it could make music. Another good thing about learning music is that it is time consuming and reduces the amount of time they have to spend infront of the TV or any other electronic gadget.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Tiger mum?   [sweatdrop]

[laugh]  [laugh]

seems like a lot are like that... some friends meek like kitten during school days become like this

12249897_10154250818376840_8746341811114

• Praise 1

i am not sure about pushing to the stage that the kid feel stress unless they love performing and enjoy it, some try to get their child into top orchestra group.

i only wish that they have knowledge of playing an instrument, able to read score and apply in other area and enjoy playing at leisure (i get free entertainment). For boys will probably attract girls if he knows how to play at least one instrument   [laugh]  [laugh]

yeah must teach boys more skills to xian cha bor next time.

last time i dunch have such skills  [shakehead]

but this is the most important.

If u can enjoy music, it's a great thing to have.

my elder one has shown interest with the nursery's piano since kindy..every single day to the point the teacher 'feedback' that we should buy him a piano at home.

that was where it all began... and been going strong on it to date. 

my other one has been lukewarm.. though right now at grade 3, we're still observing

there are studies out there music (not necessarily piano though) is beneficial to brain development... 

and yes.. we don't force them on it.. just occasional reminders they should do their homework

Yes - take up piano between ages 5 and 7 is thought to be beneficial

Since pass grade 3 has been up to my kid whether she wants to continue or not. 

She still wants to do - she hates to practise but likes to play

• Praise 1

Yes - take up piano between ages 5 and 7 is thought to be beneficial

Since pass grade 3 has been up to my kid whether she wants to continue or not. 

She still wants to do - she hates to practise but likes to play

i dunno how tough the grades is. I will just make my kid take up to grade 3-4, then up to them...

• Praise 1

i dunno how tough the grades is. I will just make my kid take up to grade 3-4, then up to them...

i was told grade 5 is the minimum after the theory exam, cos by then they should know the scores and easier to take up other instrument. 1-4 is quite easy to pass   [laugh]

Twincharged

i was told grade 5 is the minimum after the theory exam, cos by then they should know the scores and easier to take up other instrument. 1-4 is quite easy to pass   [laugh]

Yup. Grade 5 onwards is where it gets tough. They got the aural exams. Grade 1 to 4 only need to clap the beats the examiner plays. From 5 onwards, they have to identify the chords, key signature and all those.

thanks. so grade 5 it is hehe

How come no dragon father? [laugh] Cannot all be sacred of 虎媽 :XD:

I walk away whenever my wife watch... in case she start to tell me I'm not doing enough. :XD: :XD:

Hypersonic

Ok so, it's finally coming down to going to initiate my girl into piano lessons.

My girl is turning 5 this year.

She went for some music class held by a lady near our place for a couple of months. So learnt how to read the notes etc, apparently according to the lady, she has perfect pitch. And she does know how to play twinkle twinkle little star on a digital keyboard.

So now going to intro her to a piano teacher and see how it goes.

For the instrument buying, the music class lady recommended us 

http://www.asiapiano.com.sg/

And http://apiano.sg/directions/ (as per @Jman888 earlier recommendations) will be places i will be checking out.

As of now, probably looking at a 2nd hand Yamaha U1 or something else (like i say i know nuts).

Any other recommendations on shops i can look at?

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

LOL just realised that apiano and asiapiano is the same place. 

I only realised that when checking the directions!

So ok lah, seems like quite a reasonable place to check out since jman888 and my girl's music teacher lady also recommended the same place.

Hypersonic

Ok so, it's finally coming down to going to initiate my girl into piano lessons.

She went for some music class held by a lady near our place for a couple of months. So learnt how to read the notes etc, apparently according to the lady, she has perfect pitch. And she does know how to play twinkle twinkle little star on a digital keyboard.

And http://apiano.sg/directions/ (as per @Jman888 earlier recommendations) will be places i will be checking out.

As of now, probably looking at a 2nd hand Yamaha U1 or something else (like i say i know nuts).

diving straight into proper piano lessons?

she must be extremely interested in piano

:o  [:)]

Hypersonic

diving straight into proper piano lessons?

she must be extremely interested in piano

:o  [:)]

hmm no lah. Just prepping if she's interested.

To me, swimming and music lessons are must learns when they are young. Beyond that, then is their own interest. I've always regretted not learning how to play a musical instrument. Although it's highly likely i'll be crap at it, since i suck at the recorder  [laugh]

if you look at their address, both are the same company   [laugh]

unless you can afford $6K for a used piano and run the risk of end up as white elephant, or get a cheaper china brand (sub $2k) and see how your girl develop her interest. Anyway you still need a piano at home for her daily practice and this one really need a lot of discipline.

for character building (they say people who love music won't be bad), so you need to insist and push the kid to learn till at least grade 5 to have the foundation and to learn/play other music instrument when they are older. 

(edited)

If buying new Yamaha, do try to get the Japan-made ones, easier to resell next time.  Maybe around 8K-9K for U1 with the weaker yen.  Wait for Yamaha sales once every few months.  6K for used U1 won't make sense.

If unsure whether your child has long term interest, get a digital piano for a few hundred dollars, at least not so heart pain in case give up, or upgrade.  If really going for an used one, check when it was manufactured, don't end up getting one with new COE!

All the best!

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement