US X'mas lightings use more energy than some countries.

Wishcumstrue

WASHINGTON (AFP) - 24 Dec 2015

American household Christmas lights, a favourite holiday tradition, use up more electricity than some poorer countries - such as El Salvador or Ethiopia - do in a year.

Bright lights strung on American trees, rooftops and lawns account for 6.63 billion kilowatt hours of electricity consumption every year, according to a recent blog post by the Center for Global Development.

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-christmas-lights-use-more-energy-than-entire-countries

So much for politics of "carbon-friendly" and Paris accord climate change agreement..

What's new ?

Christmas-light-energy-chart.jpg

73632-full.jpg

↡ Advertisement

ya, US is the big time energy user.

think last time Gorbachev said not right that 5% of the world's population uses 40% of the world's resources. believe the US should be a bit more efficient these days.

• Praise 1

natural gas is cheap now

and they have enough to be self sufficient

like that also cannot?

:D

It is the US shale oil production and the plan to open new oil fields in Alaska - one of the reasons why low cruel price had sustain for so low.

Having said that, I am rather surprised at the consumption level given the fact X'mas is just a 1 day festival and the figure does not include the energy used for warming during the winter season..

which reminds me of the Orchard road light ups and burning X'mas trees...

christmas-tree-on-fire.png

ya, US is the big time energy user.

think last time Gorbachev said not right that 5% of the world's population uses 40% of the world's resources. believe the US should be a bit more efficient these days.

I think it is expected since US is the largest economy for some time.

What caught my attention is how much Americans used just to deco that festivity.

↡ Advertisement