Wind Deflectors & Mudguards... helpful?

7hm

Turbocharged

Curious to know everyone's experiences and views on these 'common' accessories - wind deflectors (also known as window rain guard, door visor, etc.) and mud guards (splash guards or mud flaps).

Do the deflectors really reduce noise, or add noise, etc., does lowering the window slightly with deflector actually help, etc.

Are mud guards still relevant now? Do they really reduce splashes/mud etc. or do they end up trapping them?

Looking to find MCFers' thoughts.

↡ Advertisement

Wind deflectors: no use to you if you are (i) non-smoker (ii) pure aircon person.

I am not a smoker, but still install wind deflectors as I am not a pure aircon person. I open slightly to let air in, useful during raining, to control some amount of "fresh" air in, to allow some ventilation when parked under hot sun.... I know there's a vent opening, but I just prefer the window's way.

Most wind deflectors will increase wind noise, not reduce.

I prefer chanell-in type, not those stick on type. 

Curious to know everyone's experiences and views on these 'common' accessories - wind deflectors (also known as window rain guard, door visor, etc.) and mud guards (splash guards or mud flaps).

Do the deflectors really reduce noise, or add noise, etc., does lowering the window slightly with deflector actually help, etc.

Are mud guards still relevant now? Do they really reduce splashes/mud etc. or do they end up trapping them?

Looking to find MCFers' thoughts.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Why you think mud flaps are irrelevant now?? Any new evolution of mud ?

well, irrelevant might be the wrong word... what I mean is, seems I rarely see them on cars now.

I agree for wind deflectors I use it so that I could open a small window gap to let heat escape if I park under the sun, as heat moves upwards. Opening the aircon air(outside) vents might warp the vents(if you can keep smelling outside air even when you closed the vents...). For morning drives I usually do not on the aircon until much later.

Mudguards do help to channel sand and debris away from the rear bumper. If your car has paint work under the rear bumper it's better to have them  or else the rain water & "sand blasting effect" will damage the paint work and start peeling. For SUVs/compact crossovers most of them are plastic cladding right after where the mudguards should be so dealers usually do not bring in to cut cost.  Actually a lot of sand and dirt get trapped in the hollow rear bumper it's just that we cannot see it.

• Praise 2

I would consider mudguard very important. They will help to prevent scratches from stones which are thrown up from the road, esp. near road works or construction sites.

Of cos, must be those plain black rubber type which are subtle in design. Not those rectangular flaps that u find on the lorries!

Most wind deflectors will increase wind noise, not reduce.

This is true. I installed a wind deflector recently and noticed an increase in wind noise when driving.  [smash]

Turbocharged

This is true. I installed a wind deflector recently and noticed an increase in wind noise when driving.  [smash]

just mounted some recently too. Have yet to drive in a condition where I can observe any difference in noise...

Mud guards - important - because it prevents stone chipping on your own car body. Especially the underside of your rear bumper and sides of your driver & passenger car door.

Due to aesthetics mud guards are now pretty small in size. Nevertheless it's still there.

There's also a small protrusion at front of your wheel arch.. like a small mud guard.. do not remove them.. they help improves under chassis aerodynamic drags by channeling air streams around your fat spinning tyres.

Also there is a long stripe of plastic thing that runs across the underside of your front bumper. 

Those aids in deflecting under carriage air away.. also ..reduce under carriage drag by reducing air flow under all the nooks and cervices of your underside.

Just to share

Went to jb to install my door visor. Cost about 140rm for a 3inches wide door visor. Slightly cheaper than Singapore.

Turbocharged

This is true. I installed a wind deflector recently and noticed an increase in wind noise when driving. [smash]

Nvm now you got reason to install sound insulation..

The wind deflector is a good thing; Helps to cool the vehicle down when parked and also prevents people from knowing that your window is down by an inch or two; Mine is clipped into the window frame. Also keeps the rain out as I don't like to use too much of the AC 

Strange thing I have observed, if anyone has observed - most people in high end cars , like those in CAT B (those 2L ones and above) don't seem to like to put them on, very few I have observed have them .

The wind deflector is a good thing; Helps to cool the vehicle down when parked and also prevents people from knowing that your window is down by an inch or two; Mine is clipped into the window frame. Also keeps the rain out as I don't like to use too much of the AC 

Strange thing I have observed, if anyone has observed - most people in high end cars , like those in CAT B (those 2L ones and above) don't seem to like to put them on, very few I have observed have them .

After using sunroof for 2 yrs, wind deflector is not helpful at all in get rid of heat in open car park.  This is because hot air float upward & not sideway.

With sunroof fully open + passenger window half open in the morning, i get fresh air without too much wind noise.

After using sunroof for 2 yrs, wind deflector is not helpful at all in get rid of heat in open car park.  This is because hot air float upward & not sideway.

With sunroof fully open + passenger window half open in the morning, i get fresh air without too much wind noise.

I guess most of the atas atas cars have sunroof,   bread n butter one's use visors I guess  [:p]

But sunroof cannot be left opened in Singapore as anytime it can rain..... and you know what can happen also leaves and dust will fall in too

With Visors, windows can be opened like 1-2 inches and outside people cannot know that the windows are open a little

Anyway some hot air can escape with partially opened windows 

I guess most of the atas atas cars have sunroof,   bread n butter one's use visors I guess  [:p]

But sunroof cannot be left opened in Singapore as anytime it can rain..... and you know what can happen also leaves and dust will fall in too

With Visors, windows can be opened like 1-2 inches and outside people cannot know that the windows are open a little

Anyway some hot air can escape with partially opened windows 

I heard Forester also got sunroof le.

Both piece of my sunroof can be tilt 45 degree on a hot day.  For me, the only problem is rain.  I don't usually park under tree.

W/o opening sunroof, i can always clear hot air in the car within 2 minutes with wide open sunroof.

I heard Forester also got sunroof le.

Both piece of my sunroof can be tilt 45 degree on a hot day.  For me, the only problem is rain.  I don't usually park under tree.

W/o opening sunroof, i can always clear hot air in the car within 2 minutes with wide open sunroof.

Subaru Forester is 2L (CAT B) vehicle leh .... as I mentioned earlier most of the CAT B cars and atas atas ones don't install window visors ... just my observation, even if they have no sunroof.... must be some kind of cult following [laugh]  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1