Come Share Your View on "Car-Lite City"

Imac

Car-lite city starts with plenty of mass rapid trains all over the city, reliable and cheap.

If you can't do that, you can't have a car-lite city.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Car-lite city starts with plenty of mass rapid trains all over the city, reliable and cheap.

If you can't do that, you can't have a car-lite city.

Car lite city cannot have a lot of bicycle meh?

Before car, our forefather also use bicycle le.

I do think electric personal transporters -- the modern replacement for foot-powered bicycles -- can help. But the transport and parking infrastructure is not set up for it.

• Praise 1

I do think electric personal transporters -- the modern replacement for foot-powered bicycles -- can help. But the transport and parking infrastructure is not set up for it.

Which electric personal transporters need transport & parking infrastructure?

I believe car lite sg is possible. When the mrt station behind my place is up and running, I see very little justification for me to drive to town at least. Unless I have a lot of shopping to do.

But to the other ends of sg, I'll drive for sure.

Low car price high usage costs won't work. People already paid for the car and they will justify for the costs to use it.

'aiyah.. I take cab also about same price... Let's just drive lah'. Ends up still jam everywhere.

Only way is like what u said. Cut the car supply from the start. Too bad the only way is to make it out of reach for most folks.

Or.. High car price high usage costs.

Double cfm plus chop no jam liao.

Guess we have to wait till 2100 when hover anti gravity vehicles become a reality. Then We can exploit the traffic space vertically.

Not if ERP is $100 a pop. Parking becomes $10/hr.

Then at least the real petrolheads wont need to suffer this ridiculous justification of absurd car pricing because of people who mainly use the car as pure point A - B mode of transport.

• Praise 1

Not everybody can cycle like you.

There are old people who still need to get around.

• Praise 1

now there are 2 groups on the argument of car lite city, objective is to stop driving

High Car price & low usage cost to stop driving Vs Low car price & High usage cost to stop driving

which one easy to implement? of course High car price is easy, now it's already, if implement "OSC", car price will be further higher, force some people give up driving, it cure the illness from root,

however to lower car price, in Singapore case beside increasing COE quota, not another way, potentially it will cause traffic condition worse and worse, because there is a huge car population in behind, even if high usage cost, but lower car purchase cost can offset the usage cost, because Singaporean all already had high COE experience, compare to sky high COE usage cost still is low, subsequently car parking, accident, emission Pollution...etc headache problem all come

I am not sure that implementing low price - high running cost is that difficult to do.

1. Most major expressway already have ERP gantries ready, even if they are not in operation.  They just need to turn it on.

2. Bumping up the ERP price is easy.  For example, notice that this Dec, they have not re-price ERP due to lower volume of traffic.  They are prepping people for the next increase.

3. Car-parking prices even easier, all private operators are chomping at the bits to raise hourly and season parking fees.

4. Fuel surcharge just a few month ago increase, expect another bump up in the next budget.

5. CEVS also adjusted downwards, less benefits even if you drive a green car

6. Road tax for all vehicles will increase next budget too.

They will nickel and dime you until you also tao gong gong.  Then you wonder where all your money went.   [laugh]

Err... electric wheelchairs are the most popular selling equipment.... just go and ask around.

• Praise 2

I am not sure that implementing low price - high running cost is that difficult to do.

1. Most major expressway already have ERP gantries ready, even if they are not in operation.  They just need to turn it on.

2. Bumping up the ERP price is easy.  For example, notice that this Dec, they have not re-price ERP due to lower volume of traffic.  They are prepping people for the next increase.

3. Car-parking prices even easier, all private operators are chomping at the bits to raise hourly and season parking fees.

4. Fuel surcharge just a few month ago increase, expect another bump up in the next budget.

They will nickel and dime you until you also tao gong gong.  Then you wonder where all your money went.   [laugh]

Err... electric wheelchairs are the most popular selling equipment.... just go and ask around.

end up to next GE, PAP lost some more GRC :D  :D

In China Town, i still see a lot of old ppl cycle bicycle with number plate.

There are also motorised electric wheelchair.

Electric bike?

Why still need transportation?

Have a feeling it simply meant they want more peeps to take the public transport and at the same time, those whom can afford to own a car, please continue to own it, thus the discreet manner of broadcast. which could also suggest that they are prepared to tank the loss of income in COE allocation.

I think it will be high price + high running cost if the aim is to reduce private car population (which is the trend now).

• Praise 1

end up to next GE, PAP lost some more GRC :D  :D

That's a very odd comment.... I thought the the opposition were the one that lost a couple of wards and got thrashed across the board with the highest votes for PAP since the 2000's.  

PAP gotten the mandate to continue making the hard choices like spending money to upgrade MRT, buy back all all the buses from the bus operators.  Reducing the prices of cars would make them very popular, very few people would see beyond that and wonder about the cost of operating a car.  

As many here had said, even earn 30K could buy car, did not need to worry about how to service the loan and so on...  Also, many said here that cars were all about image, so if a student also can buy a car here, very very the good.  Emergency humping place and can attract lots of chio bus, just cannot drive around because it's darn expensive.

If COE drop to 5K and everyone could buy a car, next GE PAP sure would get back 80% votes! 

And if they reduce COE quota, then double confirm that next GE, all those who could not buy cars would sure vote against PAP.  And those who could afford cars were "atas" anyway, prepared to vote against PAP just on principle.  It's always being the poorest that supported PAP, so rewarding them with cars would be a sure-fire bet.

Edited by Limwsv

I think people need to ask, what kind of city do they want to live in.  Does the car really have an active place in it?  12% of the land here is dedicated to facilitating the car.  Building more capacity for cars is ridiculous, just look at the cost of the MCE and the new North South under construction. 

Till recent, the term "Car-Lite City" have been used more than once by our ministers and PM.

Come share your views and opinions what will be government action/plans to achieve this "Car-Lite City" vision.

1. Reduce COE Quota (OCS)

2. Increase Tax (Road Tax, PARF, ARF)

3. Increase ERP Charges

4. ???

4. Rail network to double to 360 km; 8 in 10 households to be within 10-minute walk of a rail station by 2030.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=38dc4ca3-5e70-4bf8-97bc-87f78e6303e7

Actually staggered working hours should help not just for PT but also road usage?

With the low birthrate, there show be no lack of people willing to do say a 11am to 8pm shift over a conventional 9am - 6pm.

• Praise 6

if you look at it,most cars are parked in most times.

if we can just use the nearest car to get to destination on one-way trip and drop the car at end of journey for another user,there will be overall cost efficiency.

as a result lesser cars will be needed for current demand of trips.

and lesser people will be driving a car just because he bought the car,but sometimes for no valid reason.

someone already doing similar here.

guess that is feasible 'car-lite'.

of course you shd still have the option to purchase a car,but prepared to pay high price.