Come Share Your View on "Car-Lite City"

Imac

A car is not just a mean of transport to many people. So eventually it might become an extremely expensive hobby.

Another key consideration is the massive industries supporting the automobiles. Workshops.. Petroleum.. Dealerships. Lowering car numbers has huge implications.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Another prong of the strategy of car-lite is also the spoke and hub goods distribution that the government recently announced.  Cars do not cause congestion except for three parts of a day, morning rush, lunch rush and home crawl.  However, good vehicles are always on the road.  

So, by consolidating movement of goods vehicles in delivery, the footprint of goods vehicles would be reduced.

So far, all attention on driverless cars seems to be focus on public/private transportation, ie cars or taxis.  However, goods vehicles to me are actually a prime candidate for driverless vehicles.

Not only driverless goods vehicles will have better road discipline, but their usage can be optimised when they are automated and not subjected to the vagaries of the human condition.

• Praise 1

Another prong of the strategy of car-lite is also the spoke and hub goods distribution that the government recently announced. Cars do not cause congestion except for three parts of a day, morning rush, lunch rush and home crawl. However, good vehicles are always on the road.

So, by consolidating movement of goods vehicles in delivery, the footprint of goods vehicles would be reduced.

So far, all attention on driverless cars seems to be focus on public/private transportation, ie cars or taxis. However, goods vehicles to me are actually a prime candidate for driverless vehicles.

Not only driverless goods vehicles will have better road discipline, but their usage can be optimised when they are automated and not subjected to the vagaries of the human condition.

But goods vehicle drivers are also deliverymen (little saving to corporate), taxi and buses are more prime.

A car is not just a mean of transport to many people. So eventually it might become an extremely expensive hobby.

Another key consideration is the massive industries supporting the automobiles. Workshops.. Petroleum.. Dealerships. Lowering car numbers has huge implications.

As of Nov 2015, there are 957k vehicle in Singapore, of which 606k is private + rental car.

I will not be surprised that another 57k will be removed over next few years from private car.

From 2013 to Nov 2015, vehicles population has been declining, of which 18k private + rental car has been removed.

The one and biggest reason for high ownership of cars is actually very obvious, that is , a big percentage of the population is earning quite well. Car aspiration is just a by product. This is a problem that is good and also bad. In other countries most people worry about paying for heating bills and rental.

• Praise 2

Which electric personal transporters need transport & parking infrastructure?

You don't expect me to ride an electric scooter into a shopping mall, do you? [laugh]

Today, these transporters are used on pavements. They need on-road lanes to move around smoothly. There is one in Sentosa now. Perhaps we will see them on the main island in a few years time.

You don't expect me to ride an electric scooter into a shopping mall, do you? [laugh]

Today, these transporters are used on pavements. They need on-road lanes to move around smoothly. There is one in Sentosa now. Perhaps we will see them on the main island in a few years time.

Electric scooter is motorcycle. Got license or not?

Electric scooter is motorcycle. Got license or not?

Perhaps I used the wrong term, but Google images do show electric scooters as two-wheeled gliders with a handlebar. I'm not referring to the ones that resemble conventional motorcycles.

But can the rail network take the load of a 6.9m population?

Judging by the looks of it, more work needs to be done. We will see the effects in the coming years.

The one and biggest reason for high ownership of cars is actually very obvious, that is , a big percentage of the population is earning quite well. Car aspiration is just a by product. This is a problem that is good and also bad. In other countries most people worry about paying for heating bills and rental.

Haha.

The man that can complain that he has no car means that he is actually living quite well.

• Praise 2

Perhaps I used the wrong term, but Google images do show electric scooters as two-wheeled gliders with a handlebar. I'm not referring to the ones that resemble conventional motorcycles.

post-16870-0-77514900-1451525554.jpg

Piang ah!  This is call Electric skate scooters lah.

Scooters = Piaggio type of motorcycle

What's the problem with pushing it around shopping mall?  Saw ppl pushing it inside Great World City

and breakdown doubled?

It is a given, double rail network, double breakdown.

haiz somehow i think i will be the 2 in 10 that cannot walk to a rail

i always very suay, cannot benefit from PAP policies

Move house loh..... [laugh] PAP carrots very long and thick. haha....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1