Passat B8

Anderang

Tks. This is good. I had not taken note the last time I went down showroom.

Too late now but you should have tried to at least see what vcs could offer for trade in then

When I made my purchase, they gave me a fair bit more than other ADs

↡ Advertisement

any adaptive/selective dimming features on the B8's LED headlamps?

in my opinion, VW dropped the ball and missed a huge opportunity though - they should have designed the DRL as a "VW" instead of "UU"!

No I think. What we have is the level 2 lights which is already good I think. See below;

Don't think i want the dynamic light assist or else how to high beam the irritants on the road.  :XD:  :XD:  :XD:

LED headlights (level 1). The newly developed all-LED headlights with reflector technology offered by Volkswagen represent the base level of a lighting system that is replacing xenon headlights in the Passat. The daytime running lights also use LED technology. The main areas of the daytime running lights also assume a turn indicator function. Twelve LEDs are used here which can be operated in white or yellow. The signature of the daytime running lights is unmistakable together with the two “eyes” in the reflectors.

LED headlights (level 2). At the next level, Volkswagen offers all-LED headlights with projection technology in the Passat. Arranged next to one another, two exceptionally low-profile lens modules project the light onto the road and generate a type of illumination that is similar to daylight. The centrepiece of these headlights is the outer multi-beam lens module. In addition to the dipped beam and main beam lights (with adaptive country road and motorway lighting), it also generates the dynamic cornering lights. Meanwhile, the inner flat-beam lens module is responsible for what is known as near-field illumination. Another highlight of the projection LED headlights is the daytime running lights with 32 LEDs. Their signature consists of two separate modules; one large “U” (which incorporates both lens modules) and one small “U”, which frames the contour of the multi-beam lens module. Beneath each daytime running light, the broad indicator (12 LEDs) emphasises the light design of the headlight. In addition, the LEDs for the static turning light are located on the inside of the headlight.

LED headlights (level 2 plus Dynamic Light Assist). In the top version, the all-LED projection headlight is also controlled via a vehicle camera. For the first time, Volkswagen is combining Dynamic Light Assist (automatic main beam control) and LED technology. The camera detects vehicles ahead and oncoming vehicles, and it compares the data with the headlight electronics; it coordinates the light distribution via the control unit for the cornering light and the swivelling multi-beam lens module.

Turbocharged

No I think. What we have is the level 2 lights which is already good I think. See below;

Don't think i want the dynamic light assist or else how to high beam the irritants on the road.  :XD:  :XD:  :XD:

LED headlights (level 1). The newly developed all-LED headlights with reflector technology offered by Volkswagen represent the base level of a lighting system that is replacing xenon headlights in the Passat. The daytime running lights also use LED technology. The main areas of the daytime running lights also assume a turn indicator function. Twelve LEDs are used here which can be operated in white or yellow. The signature of the daytime running lights is unmistakable together with the two “eyes” in the reflectors.

LED headlights (level 2). At the next level, Volkswagen offers all-LED headlights with projection technology in the Passat. Arranged next to one another, two exceptionally low-profile lens modules project the light onto the road and generate a type of illumination that is similar to daylight. The centrepiece of these headlights is the outer multi-beam lens module. In addition to the dipped beam and main beam lights (with adaptive country road and motorway lighting), it also generates the dynamic cornering lights. Meanwhile, the inner flat-beam lens module is responsible for what is known as near-field illumination. Another highlight of the projection LED headlights is the daytime running lights with 32 LEDs. Their signature consists of two separate modules; one large “U” (which incorporates both lens modules) and one small “U”, which frames the contour of the multi-beam lens module. Beneath each daytime running light, the broad indicator (12 LEDs) emphasises the light design of the headlight. In addition, the LEDs for the static turning light are located on the inside of the headlight.

LED headlights (level 2 plus Dynamic Light Assist). In the top version, the all-LED projection headlight is also controlled via a vehicle camera. For the first time, Volkswagen is combining Dynamic Light Assist (automatic main beam control) and LED technology. The camera detects vehicles ahead and oncoming vehicles, and it compares the data with the headlight electronics; it coordinates the light distribution via the control unit for the cornering light and the swivelling multi-beam lens module.

So level 2 means still got speed-based pattern and angling beam when you turn steering wheel?

So level 2 means still got speed-based pattern and angling beam when you turn steering wheel?

Not too sure. Depends on how you understanding the dynamic cornering lights.

Actually I have been waiting for more info from you. :XD: 

Don't just do analysis for the Mondeo lei. But its a pity that they no longer bring in the 2.0 Mondeo. 

Turbocharged

Not too sure. Depends on how you understanding the dynamic cornering lights.

Actually I have been waiting for more info from you. :XD:

Don't just do analysis for the Mondeo lei. But its a pity that they no longer bring in the 2.0 Mondeo. 

well based on the descript you post, the level 2 should have adaptive pattern and cornering lighting... sounds like should be at least on par with what Mondeo's does.

as for analysis I haven't gone look see car anymore... satisfied driver liao, you know?

But what ride you looking for analysis for?

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

any adaptive/selective dimming features on the B8's LED headlamps?

in my opinion, VW dropped the ball and missed a huge opportunity though - they should have designed the DRL as a "VW" instead of "UU"!

Only cornering lights.

• Praise 1

Passat price has gone up by about $4k according to latest price list (7th Jan). Is it because to offset the freebies or discount at motorshow?

Edited by Red_ryder
  • Praise 1

Passat price has gone up by about $4k according to latest price list (7th Jan). Is it because to offset the freebies or discount at motorshow?

Bro Red_ryder,

Yes. I saw that yesterday also.

Think VW anticipates the next COE bid will increase due to the expected increase of bookings at the motorshow.

But again, the price may be negotiated too. They just price higher for buyers to bargain down.

Bro Red_ryder,

Yes. I saw that yesterday also.

Think VW anticipates the next COE bid will increase due to the expected increase of bookings at the motorshow.

But again, the price may be negotiated too. They just price higher for buyers to bargain down.

Interestingly the SE I spoke to at Nissan said that they expect Cat Bs to drop more at the next bid. But maybe she's just trying to get me to buy the car. LOL

Interestingly the SE I spoke to at Nissan said that they expect Cat Bs to drop more at the next bid. But maybe she's just trying to get me to buy the car. LOL

The Nissan SE could be right.

Cos Cat A cars will be attractively priced, so more people will flock to Cat A cars, lesser buyers for Cat B cars.

We will know after the next bid.

Hi All,

My 1st post contributed to this Passat B8 forum. 

Reason... I booked the B8 Highline and hope can contribute back to MCF who gave me a lot of input before making decision.

The cars which I tested drive before sign the dotted line: Infinity Q50, Audi A3, Audi A4 (B8), BMW 116D, Ford Mondeo 1.5, Subaru X-Trail, Levorg, Outback.

Cheers! 

• Praise 3

Hi All,

Reason... I booked the B8 Highline and hope can contribute back to MCF who gave me a lot of input before making decision.

The cars which I tested drive before sign the dotted line: Infinity Q50, Audi A3, Audi A4 (B8), BMW 116D, Ford Mondeo 1.5, Subaru X-Trail, Levorg, Outback.

Cheers!

Bro Letov,

Congrats in booking the Passat Highline! Finally found a fellow passat bro. May I know what colour you book?

Cheers!

Hi All,

Cheers! 

You read mcf posts and arrived at the purchase.

Do keep us undated. Good or bad.

• Praise 1

I booked the pure white. Initial like the Crimson Red, but worry after sometimes might get bored on it. Another point is the color might overwrite the design language of the exterior. Finally is interior, the marrakesh leather only available on the pure white at that moment. Instead of let other to see, better I myself enjoy the most on the outstanding design of the car.

Hi All,

Cheers! 

Welcome to MCF! Awarding you the first 5 points for your post! Please feel free to write about your thought process and how you eventually arrive at choosing B8 [thumbsup]

Congrats to you for your new purchase! I'm sure you will like it!

• Praise 1

2 main points lead to the decision on my new rite:

1. How I feel when sit and drive in the car. The moment I sat on the B8 was "wow"! I had the same feel when 1St sat on Q50, but it lack out something after I sat on B8.

2. My family feedback. They feel nice at the back. (Mainly my wife lah, she can't accepted the "excited" rite when we tested drive the BMW 116D.

2 main points lead to the decision on my new rite:

1. How I feel when sit and drive in the car. The moment I sat on the B8 was "wow"! I had the same feel when 1St sat on Q50, but it lack out something after I sat on B8.

2. My family feedback. They feel nice at the back. (Mainly my wife lah, she can't accepted the "excited" rite when we tested drive the BMW 116D.

Same same. My wife n kids also feel comfy at the back. Very spacious.

B8 is a pretty good  [thumbsup]  generally, except the software problem that i am facing with since collection in November.

First was the system clocks are slow almost everyday when I start the engine. The second is the reading of odometre got reset every now and then.

The first problem was solved by re-loading the software after visiting Alexandre centre twice. But the second one still remains, though i have been sending the new car there for 4 times  [thumbsdown]  [thumbsdown]  [thumbsdown] .

Is there anybody experiencing the same?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1