If i were the Minister for Transport....

Philipkee

Twincharged

3. Instead of Coe for 10 years, Coe will become lifetime. But once the car owner sell his car, one additional Coe will go back to the quota. Technically the car is without Coe until whoever wants to buy the used car will have to bid for Coe first. For used car dealers, this will force them not to sell the used car at ridiculous price. If not majority will prefer to buy new car. For current car owners, once their car coming to expire, they have to pay the difference between "new" Coe lifetime PQP and the original Coe price. If the original Coe price is higher than the coe lifetime PQP, the owner does not need to pay the difference.

This won't work. People hold on to their COE forever, how to have any COE for new owners? Wait till car owners die? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

This won't work. People hold on to their COE forever, how to have any COE for new owners? Wait till car owners die?

Can work.

You may pass your Coe to your son or daughter only.

Increase fertility rate.

and the COE is paid from generation to generation ... lol

grandpa pay, father pay, you pay, your son pay and your grandson also has to pay

Can work.

Increase fertility rate.

That's provided you give up driving when your child takes up driving. Feasible? 

Can work.

Increase fertility rate.

Turbocharged

Sometimes I see the suggestions people make...

Or car die, or no parking lot, or no longer financially able to pay for usage and parking.

Twincharged

Or car die, or no parking lot, or no longer financially able to pay for usage and parking.

Cars hardly die if well taken care of. How will there be no parking lot? Season lots available in most carpark is more than enough for the number of houses there plus you mention that private property owners will not need to bid for parking space cuz they park in their own private place. This will mean that slowly, all the COEs will belong to people who live in landed property. They will sit on the COE for as long as possible. It will almost be impossible for a new owner to obtain a COE unless they increase number of COEs available.

Edited by Nzy

Let's have a thread on this since I believe a lot of MCFers want cheaper cars and I am sure they have suggestions and people who are in the ministry probably will be reading the forums. I start off first.

1). Incentivise regular car owners with rebates on their road tax for every calendar week their car does not go through an Erp gantry. I did suggest this but they say that they do not believe in rewarding drivers for not driving.

2). Have a 5 year COE instead. This can work like OPC. You bid for your car first using normal channels then of you wish for 5 year COE, you get rebates 50% off COE like how OPC get rebated the $17000.

And a 5 year old de registered car can probably fetch a higher value in the export market so its not like a waste of good car.

3). Pay as you bid. Similar to my other thread. I think the problem with the shanghai model is that there will be last minute bids. I would suggest a different way. Put up the number of quotas. Do not reveal real time number of bids or current lowest winning amount. Reveal it only after bidding has stopped. This will make bidders more cautious but no jamming of system since even ten seconds before the bid closed, no one knows the winning amount.

Anyone has other suggestions?

Your suggestions are all politically incorrect, and would seriously affect your KPIs and deliverables.

If you are the Transport Minister drawing an annual 7-figure salary, would you implement these rules?

Dreams and Reality are 2 separate matters.

• Praise 1

No more private cars.

All own by registered institutions, organisation, business entities.

Let these entities decide the usage of vehicles within themselves. Can have co-sharing or dedicated cars for employees, owners, co-owners, registrants of institutions.

Then no more private cars, everyone cannot own.

First of all, we must improve our public transport system by A LOT. Make it reliable, accessible, cheap, convenient, for EVERYONE.

Granted they are already taking steps to do this with all the new MRT lines, but that will be a while yet, and there can still be more to be done.

The key I feel is not to punish car drivers, but to ensure that other forms of transport are the preferred choice, which boils back to the above (cheap, reliable, convenient).

Think about it this way. If you can travel from your home to town (or anywhere else really) in less than 30 mins for free or less than a dollar, would you rather do that instead of driving and paying for parking? I know I would.

The only thing is now it doesn't take less than 30 mins for me to take public transport, and I can get anywhere faster by driving. That to me is decider. Time is money. If I can save time I don't mind spending.

Let's have a thread on this since I believe a lot of MCFers want cheaper cars and I am sure they have suggestions and people who are in the ministry probably will be reading the forums. I start off first.

1). Incentivise regular car owners with rebates on their road tax for every calendar week their car does not go through an Erp gantry. I did suggest this but they say that they do not believe in rewarding drivers for not driving.

2). Have a 5 year COE instead. This can work like OPC. You bid for your car first using normal channels then of you wish for 5 year COE, you get rebates 50% off COE like how OPC get rebated the $17000.

And a 5 year old de registered car can probably fetch a higher value in the export market so its not like a waste of good car.

3). Pay as you bid. Similar to my other thread. I think the problem with the shanghai model is that there will be last minute bids. I would suggest a different way. Put up the number of quotas. Do not reveal real time number of bids or current lowest winning amount. Reveal it only after bidding has stopped. This will make bidders more cautious but no jamming of system since even ten seconds before the bid closed, no one knows the winning amount.

Anyone has other suggestions?

Much as I'd personally like cars to be cheaper, I'd like the COE to not fluctuate so wildly even more!

I disagree on 5 year COE though, a lot of good cars will be "wasted", plus, once the COE becomes 5 years instead of 10, suddenly, the total quantum seems "cheaper" to many people, ie, now with Cat A at 45K, 50% is 22.5K, with PARF and all, Cat A BnB cars can be had for around 50K+, so people will bid / pay more for the car instead.

Pay as you bid could work better than the current system. Also, disallow bidding by AD / PI, and make bidding by SingPass with the full amount to be paid in cash.

Though, this will probably bring down COE prices too fast and it's bad for the government's coffers too...

3. Instead of Coe for 10 years, Coe will become lifetime. But once the car owner sell his car, one additional Coe will go back to the quota. Technically the car is without Coe until whoever wants to buy the used car will have to bid for Coe first. For used car dealers, this will force them not to sell the used car at ridiculous price. If not majority will prefer to buy new car. For current car owners, once their car coming to expire, they have to pay the difference between "new" Coe lifetime PQP and the original Coe price. If the original Coe price is higher than the coe lifetime PQP, the owner does not need to pay the difference.

Disagreed. If COE is a "lifetime" thing, and it's tagged to one person, someone who buys a car at 18, and lives to 78 would be paying once for 6 decades of use. At first, this sounds good, but afterwards, the new generation will find it close to impossible to get a car at all.

The current COE idea is good, but the implementation is off.

No more private cars.

Let these entities decide the usage of vehicles within themselves. Can have co-sharing or dedicated cars for employees, owners, co-owners, registrants of institutions.

$65 bucks and you can have your own business liao. Overnight, there will be additional 500k or more businesses registered.

=X

• Praise 1

No more private cars.

Then every one here would register a company to buy.....

If I transport minister, I would tell the PM there is absolutely no problem with the COE/Cars/Land Transport system.  The problem lies with too many people/passengers/population. Solution to the transport problem is to reduce the number of users/people.

And then go for vacation with the million dollar salary.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

Much as I'd personally like cars to be cheaper, I'd like the COE to not fluctuate so wildly even more!

I disagree on 5 year COE though, a lot of good cars will be "wasted", plus, once the COE becomes 5 years instead of 10, suddenly, the total quantum seems "cheaper" to many people, ie, now with Cat A at 45K, 50% is 22.5K, with PARF and all, Cat A BnB cars can be had for around 50K+, so people will bid / pay more for the car instead.

Pay as you bid could work better than the current system. Also, disallow bidding by AD / PI, and make bidding by SingPass with the full amount to be paid in cash.

Though, this will probably bring down COE prices too fast and it's bad for the government's coffers too...

Disagreed. If COE is a "lifetime" thing, and it's tagged to one person, someone who buys a car at 18, and lives to 78 would be paying once for 6 decades of use. At first, this sounds good, but afterwards, the new generation will find it close to impossible to get a car at all.

The current COE idea is good, but the implementation is off.

$65 bucks and you can have your own business liao. Overnight, there will be additional 500k or more businesses registered.

=X

Let me clarify. The Coe does not tag to a person. It is tag to the person and the car. Once the person sell his car, the Coe is gone and go back to the quota. So if he wants to keep his lifetime Coe, he cannot change car, If he change or buy a 2nd car,, he needs to get a new Coe.

Let me share my thoughts on this matter.

I agree with the Government on the control over vehicle growth as we are running out of land to build more roads. Thus, if vehicle growth rate is not controlled, our roads will become more congested. I also agree that regardless the improvements of our public transportation system here in Singapore, car ownership is and shall remain as a national and personal aspiration.

The flaw in the current COE system is that it creates more income inequality as the rich, who can afford higher COEs gets to enjoy the luxury of owning more cars than necessary while the not so well to do ones, sweat at staggering car ownership costs. If the government is indeed right to say that the implementation of COE is not the squeeze more money out of Singaporeans but as a tool to control vehicle growth rate, I am suggesting that we scrap the current COE Bidding System. That does not mean that you can buy a car without a valid COE. 

I am suggesting that COEs be ration out to all Singaporean families based on family size and not monthly household income. For instance, a family of 4 is given one COE while a family of 6 to 7 be given two. All the COEs ration is to be given out free.   As such, if your family cannot afford a car, then the COE ration to that family can be auction in the open market. If you are rich and need more cars than that of what you have been rationed, go and get one from the open market at a price where seller is willing to let go and buyer is willing to pay for. The transacted COE may last for 10 years and thereafter return to the rightful family. This way, the poor family may get a income boost by forgoing their right to own a vehicle and drive on the road. Because of this, government may also reduce on the amount of subsidies and financial assistance given to families of lower income group.

It is a more equitable way of maintaining the income gap between the rich and the poor. The rich gets to pay for more than the bare necessity to the poor that is struggling to make ends meet.

why would the government let u make the money when he can make the money himself hahah

Twincharged

Let me clarify. The Coe does not tag to a person. It is tag to the person and the car. Once the person sell his car, the Coe is gone and go back to the quota. So if he wants to keep his lifetime Coe, he cannot change car, If he change or buy a 2nd car,, he needs to get a new Coe.

It will be difficult to manage also. What people will do is keep their car until they can afford to change, then secure a new car before selling off current one since there is no expiry for the COE as long as they don't sell off.

The purpose of making the COE expire after 10 years is to make sure that although there are limited number of COEs available, new drivers can still have a chance of getting one.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

like what happen in malaysia, car cannot move and sitting in the backyard, over here mean coe hogging  [laugh]

You should take the gahment to task on public transport affordability, efficiency and reliability. But not the affordability of luxury item like cars, and 'fair' distribution of COE.

I feel MAS should tighten on the loan criteria, maybe no loan for COE portion, 70% downpayment. Loan period not more than 3 years. This will reduce the number of car owners becoming a slave to their car loans.

↡ Advertisement