"Half" Size Spare Tyre - where to buy / anyone want to sell?

jg2000

getting a space saver / donut is a better option BUT

make sure it can fit into your car (best test on both F&R

make the tire is not too OLD (if you are getting the old one  from junkyard or owner) cos those at least 10yrs scrape car

otherwise later you have problem find the donut tires

make sure you have the proper jack / tire wrench to do the job.

your size sound like Nissan QashQai ?

if yes very simple , just go to any tire shop ask for 17inch rim with that tire size or any 17 size as spare can

again make sure they test for you on your car both F & R

also the tools that need to do the job

Thanks! yes its a qashqai 1.2 which does not come with spare wheel... :S

I go up to malaysia about 3 to 4 times a year and having a spare wheel i think would be safer.

I found a shop where some of the other qashqai owners bought new rims and traded in the original. I was quoted $120 for just the rim.

I'll check out others before making the decision.

Thanks once again.

↡ Advertisement

Thanks! yes its a qashqai 1.2 which does not come with spare wheel... :S

I go up to malaysia about 3 to 4 times a year and having a spare wheel i think would be safer.

I found a shop where some of the other qashqai owners bought new rims and traded in the original. I was quoted $120 for just the rim.

I'll check out others before making the decision.

Thanks once again.

already found the solution, quickly buy the rim and also a tire keep inside car

problem solved [thumbsup]

another is make sure you got the necessary tools 

Do note that your car should equipped with a 12v operate inflator and bottle of gel / chemical is for emergency use 

do carry it with you.

I have emailed/called to almost every reputable tyre dealer/distributor I can find in S'pore regarding just buying the tyre only for a 'compact sized' spare tyre, including Tyrepac (which also helpfully spent about half a day calling up their suppliers). Mine is T135/80D16. Nobody sells it or is willing to help to source for it (advice: "Go to scrap yard or AD"). The official Bridgestone rep also replied that they only sell it to OEMs and not directly to end users.

You'll need to get the tyre either second-hand or import from overseas. I have been eyeing a compact at https://www.camskill.co.uk/. Tyre is about GBP40, shipping GBP 55, not too bad but still double the price of a 2nd-hand tyre fitted to a steel rim and balanced (about SGD100). 

So unless you really need a compact spare tyre, just go get a compatible spare rim and fit it to a full-sized tyre. 2nd hand tyre under two years old should be <$50, steel rim S$45 (R15, 5x100, AL Tyres).

I'm a bit kiasi - itchy to get a compact spare to put inside my MPV, alongside my full-sized spare. Sway sway one day kena two flats at once driving up north and I don't trust the sealant-in-a-can.

Anyone know where in Singapore can buy "half" size temp spare tyres.

Or anyone has one and want to sell? e.g. those who upgrade to full size spare or those who prefer to save weight and get rid of the spare.

Nowadays, many new cars don't come with spares.

Am thinking of a half-size spare just in case (esp. for trips to Malaysia).

In the "suay" event, we need to call upon the 1/2 sized spare a.k.a. Donut tyre, how fast can we travel and how far can we go on this spare?

Within Singapore, we can probably still limp to the nearest tyre shop. But up north on NSH, may be a problem .....

yup, in the end i bought a repair kit, scissor jack, wrench and a air pump.

Most importantly, i am sick of rft .....

Can share the brand and model of the air pump? Thanks 

Can share the brand and model of the air pump? Thanks 

just get it from qoo or any online store will do.

mine is the no brand type and is using for years now.

anyone has a 145/90D16?

you may on line from oversea.

local junk yard is another source you can try, BUT do remember Junkyard sell Junk and car there are 99% 10 years old so the Tires are also xx old.

All my cars that I now own, have to fulfill the full-sized spare tyre criterion - call me anal if you want.

Be it my Merc, Lexus, or Hyundai (at least the pre-2017 models).

Cos I do travel up north quite a bit and certain types of tyre damage (e.g. side wall shear, puncture hole > 10 cents coin, pierced by broken concrete rebar, etc.) just cannot be mended by an in-car tyre repair kit!

• Praise 1

All my cars that I now own, have to fulfill the full-sized spare tyre criterion - call me anal if you want.

Be it my Merc, Lexus, or Hyundai (at least the pre-2017 models).

Cos I do travel up north quite a bit and certain types of tyre damage (e.g. side wall shear, puncture hole > 10 cents coin, pierced by broken concrete rebar, etc.) just cannot be mended by an in-car tyre repair kit!

GOOD GOOD

but still remember should you happen to use the fifth tire please follow the basic rules ,

Make sure they are properly mounted (especially your 4 wheels had fitted with center adaptor RING), you got to remove it before you can put on your Original spare wheel .

MAke sure 5th tire are inflated to correct working pressure.

Make sure do not travel more than 80km/h

and strictly for temporary use only

Happy and SAFE driving

depending on car brand, some they have roadside assistance covering up to Malaysia.

as such, spare tire may not ne necessary, moreover it is too dangerous to fix flat tire along the roadside.

↡ Advertisement