Does having turbo really mean better fuel effiency?

Ahgong

Real killers of engines are heat, friction, pressure & something else (which I can't remember)

If you think turbo charger cars (which uses exhaust to generate more air pressure for increased horse power) can last longer. Think again. 

Yes, it increases horse power & better fuel efficiency. More component parts equate to more points of failure. You can expect higher maintenance costs for TC cars. Once TC fails, your car will be crawling.

Was working as a apprentice mechanic in US during my holidays while studying there. Never seen TC cars lasted longer than NA cars (That's why American's favor NA cars). If they do, normally they are heavily modded & many cases rebuilds. Many of them have blown engines as the pressure increase is too high.

For a car that last long & with ease of maintenance. NA cars are the way to go. If you are expecting to replace cars every 3~5 yrs. TC are good. 

Personally i drove both NA & TC cars. TC cars are fun, but my preference will still be NA. 

I drove all my turbo cars till their 10th year death sentences leh.... nothing even happened to the turbos themselves even when I chipped up one or two of them (+50 hp enough, don't be too greedy!).  And I used supermarket oil too.  Maintenance is no difference from NA - Change oil, change filters.

It really depends on the made of the cars, whether reliable or not.  Italian is no no, Swedes good, German - can't comment never had a turbo one but the NA Germans are definitely less reliable than the turbo Swedes.

Any car heavily modded of course becomes more unreliable, not just the turbo ones.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

My 16 yr old turbo diesel engine has no problem with the engine and turbo itself.

Ancillary parts like the cooling system are the weak area.

Bcuz the turbo engine needs a lot more pipes for intercooler and such, it becomes harder to work on due to space constrain.

In case where the turbo was disconnected (say, due to the actuating hose), FC improves, but power sucks.

So FC takes a bit of hit when the turbo is working.

But it's worth paying for a bit more fuel to have the turbo working.

Germany cars are mostly turbo. Who says not many?

My little knowledge for German cars here are merchant, BMW, vw and audi. Most models aren't turbo mah.

My little knowledge for German cars here are merchant, BMW, vw and audi. Most models aren't turbo mah.

???

I can't think of any BMW or Audi which doesn't have turbo.

• Praise 1

???

I can't think of any BMW or Audi which doesn't have turbo.

Yah. Almost all conti are using turbo.

Only japan are not using it.

I drove all my turbo cars till their 10th year death sentences leh.... nothing even happened to the turbos themselves even when I chipped up one or two of them (+50 hp enough, don't be too greedy!).  And I used supermarket oil too.  Maintenance is no difference from NA - Change oil, change filters.

It really depends on the made of the cars, whether reliable or not.  Italian is no no, Swedes good, German - can't comment never had a turbo one but the NA Germans are definitely less reliable than the turbo Swedes.

Any car heavily modded of course becomes more unreliable, not just the turbo ones.

Yes, we all go to WS and just ask them to maintain. We just pay money, no difference at all. In places where ppl who maintain the cars themselves will usually choose something more straight forward & simple. 

Ppl in states do crazy things with their cars. I bet ppl here will do the same, it's just that here the strict gov control has largely stopped that.

Supercharged

Actually if you maintain your car yourself... chances are you will give it more TLC than the mechanic in the ah beng workshop who just wants to get the task done asap... and knows that the owner won't ever know if he actually did the job that was paid for.

For local traffic with many stop start esp in city driving, I think turbocharged cars are more fuel efficient and fun to drive with early torque as low as 1500 RPM.

Sometimes it has got to do with gearing ratios too.. For fuel economy or acceleration.

For e.g my 2016 B9 Audi A4: 90 KM/H @ 1600RPM, 120 KM/H @ 2000 RPM.

• Praise 1

Merc W212FL E250 with inter-cooled turbo tuned for torque. The engine, except for the wimpy engine note is a gem. 2.0l 4-cyl is smooth (has balancing shafts), wide power band (variable valve timing),efficient, rev happy, not fussy on fuel. The Infiniti Q50 shares the same engine and can be bought at lower overall cost.  

Would like to give some real world figures.

Have the following cars

1. Mark-X since 2009 - 2.5 V6 (6 Speed)

2. 2016 Mark-X G's this year  - 2.5 V6 (6 speed)

The above fuel consumption (1) on mix 50/50 SG driving on "super heavy foot", 8km - 10km/L  (2) NSHW to KL/Cameron highland - done this many times, 12~14km/L. All the above are actual real life figures over 10 years with 2 Toyota Mark-X of the same engine. When my wife drive, she hit 10km~11.5km/L easily

3. 2016 Infinit Q50 - 2.0T  - 7 Speed(similar to Merc Gtronics) - SG mix 50/50 - 7~8km/L,  NSHW 12~13km/L.   When my wife drives, 9~10.5km/L

The above is base on TC vs V6 engine, probably not the same with normal 4C engine. I own Honda Civic SIR in the past, but that's a fuel drinking machine!!!!! I think V6 engines love wide open road and TC engine is great in city driving with better low end torque......especially TC Diesel. 

I do want to state base on facts, actual fuel consumption proclaim by mfgr is not a good gauge. I would think in Singapore hot and high humidity climate, TC engine will suffer in performance vs actual register/tested figure from mfgr?

Edited by Sg571958
  • Praise 1

Keep TC stock and it will serve you well for years to come.

But be prepare to change coil pack more often. There is no escaping for this.

Have the following cars

2. 2016 Mark-X G's this year  - 2.5 V6 (6 speed)

The above fuel consumption (1) on mix 50/50 SG driving on "super heavy foot", 8km - 10km/L  (2) NSHW to KL/Cameron highland - done this many times, 12~14km/L. All the above are actual real life figures over 10 years with 2 Toyota Mark-X of the same engine. When my wife drive, she hit 10km~11.5km/L easily

3. 2016 Infinit Q50 - 2.0T  - 7 Speed(similar to Merc Gtronics) - SG mix 50/50 - 7~8km/L,  NSHW 12~13km/L.   When my wife drives, 9~10.5km/L

The above is base on TC vs V6 engine, probably not the same with normal 4C engine. I own Honda Civic SIR in the past, but that's a fuel drinking machine!!!!! I think V6 engines love wide open road and TC engine is great in city driving with better low end torque......especially TC Diesel. 

I do want to state base on facts, actual fuel consumption proclaim by mfgr is not a good gauge. I would think in Singapore hot and high humidity climate, TC engine will suffer in performance vs actual register/tested figure from mfgr?

Hmm so turbo engine actually got worse fuel consumption? 

Twincharged

Have the following cars

2. 2016 Mark-X G's this year - 2.5 V6 (6 speed)

The above fuel consumption (1) on mix 50/50 SG driving on "super heavy foot", 8km - 10km/L (2) NSHW to KL/Cameron highland - done this many times, 12~14km/L. All the above are actual real life figures over 10 years with 2 Toyota Mark-X of the same engine. When my wife drive, she hit 10km~11.5km/L easily

3. 2016 Infinit Q50 - 2.0T - 7 Speed(similar to Merc Gtronics) - SG mix 50/50 - 7~8km/L, NSHW 12~13km/L. When my wife drives, 9~10.5km/L

Yup I second the markx consumption figures. Mine about 80% city I get 8.5-9km/l and on nshw about 13km/l

My 10 year old NA car will expire next year. If you were me, which car will you select

1. Ford Focus 1.0L turbo

2. Opel Astra 1.0 turbo

3. Nissan QQ 1.2 turbo

4. Mazda 3 NA

Supercharged

My 10 year old NA car will expire next year. If you were me, which car will you select

1. Ford Focus 1.0L turbo

2. Opel Astra 1.0 turbo

3. Nissan QQ 1.2 turbo

4. Mazda 3 NA

that will depend on your needs no?

for me, i will just choose the cheapest + easiest to maintain vs brand.

it is after all, drive and throw away. so no need to plonk down too much good money.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1