Does having turbo really mean better fuel effiency?

Ahgong

Since nobody mention weight....

It's pointless to say which is better or more economical w/o mentioning the weight of the car. A NA engine powered car can still be fun and economic to drive if it's under a tonne. TC engine powered cars are dependent on tune eg. low rpm or mid rpm. But weight is still the major factor when it comes to driving fun and FC.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2.0t consume more fuel than 2.5 NA under similar driving conditions 

so smaller engine turbo doesn't mean better fuel efficiency than bigger engine NA

This is very generic. It depends on what rpm the turbocharger starts spooling.

In the 80s for a 2.0L TC the turbo starts spooling after 2500-3000rpm, so between 1000rpm to 2500rpm the car uses its 2.0L NA power to get it off from start. But this has prove to be very fuel consuming. So newer TC engines of today starts spooling below 2000rpm to get it off from stop to achieve more economical FC. But more air pump into the engine also means more fuel will be consumed.  TC is just to get the car up to speed briskly and stay at cruising speed on a highway, that will help with the FC but not really when it comes to city driving conditions. If a driver keeps on pedal to the metal for a TC engine he may never get to see any economic FC figures.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

I would say that a key benefit of TC, specifically, the easily accessible torque (compact turbos), benefits SUV/MPV types of vehicles.

• Praise 1

Actually most modern small capacity turbo engines doesnt really offer the kind of fuel economy their respective manufacturers advertised.

You still need extra fuel to make big power, no matter how efficent your engine becomes thanks to forced induction (be it turbo or supercharged), you still need extra fuel to create that big power.

These modern turbo engines were introduced mainly to allow manufacturers to meet the ever tightening emission standards without loosing power... cos unlike SG, most buyers in other countries are always looking for bigger and more power cars for their next ride. The ability to meet Euro 6 has nothing to do with fuel economy LOL.

The other adv these small turbo engines have is better fuel economy at idle or at stop n go traffic. Big CC engines tends to  drink alot at idle and heavy traffic.

This is why till date, various manufacturers didnt give up R&D on developing more fuel efficent big CC V6 and V8, while they continue to offer small CC turbo 4 cyln.

Big NA V8s are still ideal for long distance highway cruising and heavy duty use, even though their power o/p may be matched by today's high tech turbo 4 with less than half of the capacity.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

no fuel efficiency here :(

eidt: on average, IF i am lucky .. 6.5km/L

Edited by Sp4wn
  • Praise 3

Yes, that why if you try citroen catcus, it is sprited in its drive thanks on sub one tonne weight. but the engine is also low cc at 1.2 NA 3 cyclinder

Since nobody mention weight....

It's pointless to say which is better or more economical w/o mentioning the weight of the car. A NA engine powered car can still be fun and economic to drive if it's under a tonne. TC engine powered cars are dependent on tune eg. low rpm or mid rpm. But weight is still the major factor when it comes to driving fun and FC.

Agree bro! there is no replacement to displacement but to certain extend. 

You need certain engine cc to maintain refinement in your ride especially premium car. If not, all cars will be fitted with ecoboost 1.0 or 1.2/1.4tsi engine. There wont be any refinement in moving this car. Big cc offers that on highway and moving off traffic. Car manufacturer are looking to balance enginee cc and refinement in ride when selecting engine for the car.

The other useless feature is STOP-START function. I have to turn it off on every start. It is to me, to meet low emission requirement. But what you save? If you see your instantaneous data, your car is burning 0.6-0.8L/hr!!!! but the frequent cranking will wear out your starter - be it heavy duty one, and battery faster than you can save on fuel to replace it in the future!

Actually most modern small capacity turbo engines doesnt really offer the kind of fuel economy their respective manufacturers advertised.

You still need extra fuel to make big power, no matter how efficent your engine becomes thanks to forced induction (be it turbo or supercharged), you still need extra fuel to create that big power.

These modern turbo engines were introduced mainly to allow manufacturers to meet the ever tightening emission standards without loosing power... cos unlike SG, most buyers in other countries are always looking for bigger and more power cars for their next ride. The ability to meet Euro 6 has nothing to do with fuel economy LOL.

The other adv these small turbo engines have is better fuel economy at idle or at stop n go traffic. Big CC engines tends to  drink alot at idle and heavy traffic.

This is why till date, various manufacturers didnt give up R&D on developing more fuel efficent big CC V6 and V8, while they continue to offer small CC turbo 4 cyln.

Big NA V8s are still ideal for long distance highway cruising and heavy duty use, even though their power o/p may be matched by today's high tech turbo 4 with less than half of the capacity.

Agree bro! there is no replacement to displacement but to certain extend. 

You need certain engine cc to maintain refinement in your ride especially premium car. If not, all cars will be fitted with ecoboost 1.0 or 1.2/1.4tsi engine. There wont be any refinement in moving this car. Big cc offers that on highway and moving off traffic. Car manufacturer are looking to balance enginee cc and refinement in ride when selecting engine for the car.

The other useless feature is STOP-START function. I have to turn it off on every start. It is to me, to meet low emission requirement. But what you save? If you see your instantaneous data, your car is burning 0.6-0.8L/hr!!!! but the frequent cranking will wear out your starter - be it heavy duty one, and battery faster than you can save on fuel to replace it in the future!

The trouble with small forced induction engines is that while they make big power on paper, power delivery tends to be very uneven, it proceeds in hills and dips across the RPM range. Its their odd torque curve that's causing the uneven power delivery

big CC V6 and V8s on the other hand, tends to have torque output thats as flat as a ruler drawn line haha.

The most impt aspect... in terms of overall reliablity, these small forced fed 4 cyln are typically not as good nor robust as NA engines. U may not see the difference when new, but 5 to 7 yrs down the road, the difference in relibility will start to show

Cars with start stop systems required special, and expensive batteries hor. Becos these poor batteries need to handle aircon usage when the engine is off. The aircon system is like our home unit... its running on DC power, not belt driven.

The trouble with small forced induction engines is that while they make big power on paper, power delivery tends to be very uneven, it proceeds in hills and dips across the RPM range. Its their odd torque curve that's causing the uneven power delivery

big CC V6 and V8s on the other hand, tends to have torque output thats as flat as a ruler drawn line haha.

The most impt aspect... in terms of overall reliablity, these small forced fed 4 cyln are typically not as good nor robust as NA engines. U may not see the difference when new, but 5 to 7 yrs down the road, the difference in relibility will start to show

Cars with start stop systems required special, and expensive batteries hor. Becos these poor batteries need to handle aircon usage when the engine is off. The aircon system is like our home unit... its running on DC power, not belt driven.

Recently test drived the CLA180 and the SG (Sales Girl) told me that by depressing the brake pedal, the engine will stop and it did stop. This will save fuel eco.

I thought to myself, this frequent start-stop will kill the battery real fast.

Seems bros here thinks so too.

• Praise 1

Bro,

Did not know V6 and V8 torque curve is flat ... learn something.

Yes, more component in engine compartment, more likely it will fail. then, does not mean it will fail too. Proper NA engine will definitely be more durable than FI engine. But there are proven case where FI engine can take high mileage. 

Stop-Start with aircon is only for few selected model such as prius. others are conventional SS system where engine off, compressor off.

That's why I always disable the Start/Stop function.

I find it irritating especially when parking... come to a complete stop when wanting to reverse the engine stops :wacko: really, does it help [confused]

Recently test drived the CLA180 and the SG (Sales Girl) told me that by depressing the brake pedal, the engine will stop and it did stop. This will save fuel eco.

go google how much fuel car will consume per idling hour??? i read it is between 0.6-1.2L depending on factors such as lighting, stereo and aircon...

i dont think per trip you will idle close to an hour, so you save 1L at most but how many times the engine needs to SS??? wow... i am no green person and if car comes with 10 year unlimited mileage, i will use it... no fear of parts wearing out!

actually, there are smarter SS system. i read malibu SS is able to disable SS after the previous SS is say less than few seconds ago. So, in parking situation, SS will activate, then you put into reverse gear, engine restart, then you stop to steer, it will not stop anymore.. smarter planning,,, the designer is real driver! my SS is stupid, when rpm is "0", engine off... then how? within 1s, engine restart again.... stuipd!

maybe premium SS is better... better in design and smarter in execution.

to share, after 2 weeks of SS in parking situation whereby my wife can take 10 minutes to do reverse parking.., imagine how many times the engine had stopped. battery had to be replaced! not because car can't start but SS is disable due to battery volt level is low to resume SS.

That's why I always disable the Start/Stop function.

I find it irritating especially when parking... come to a complete stop when wanting to reverse the engine stops :wacko: really, does it help [confused]

Edited by Sopskysalat

Turbocharged

godzilla see already also siam 1 side.. :grin:

166lyl4.png

i removed the annual amounts (but the app shows how much i spent each year on gas total) .. dont want to give you guys a heart attack.

and 2016 is still young, only pump twice, thats why mileage look very good ... lol

↡ Advertisement