Bid COE yourself - I tried it!

Boringchap

sgcarmart got price list for the car body.. so dealers will still sell cars to u if u ownself bid for the coe.. i guess self bid still better(, at least wont let the dealers benefit and bid at the price which is at their advantage... all those guaranteed coe, non guaranteed coe, 1 bids, 6 bids, so annoying..lol... ownself bid can have more control..haha

bid $50 many many years ago but it was so difficult to get AD to sell a car to me.

At the end got a old model car from one AD by paying a big more.

bid $50 many many years ago but it was so difficult to get AD to sell a car to me.

At the end got a old model car from one AD by paying a big more.

No offense, but I find that hard to believe. Can't we complain to LTA or CASE if they refuse to sell? 

Well, CASE not that powerful . As for LTA, very powerful. You can try?

No offense, but I find that hard to believe. Can't we complain to LTA or CASE if they refuse to sell? 

read few people saying hard to source for car with self-bidded coe thats why i wanna know, i once went to one PI he said can sell me w/o coe,  but god knows whether he will really sell me the car when i gotten my coe, he might say no stock now blah blah blah.

The reason is clear, they oso earn when they bid coe for u.

read few people saying hard to source for car with self-bidded coe thats why i wanna know, i once went to one PI he said can sell me w/o coe, but god knows whether he will really sell me the car when i gotten my coe, he might say no stock now blah blah blah.

The reason is clear, they oso earn when they bid coe for u.

Dun see why they wun sell to u.

Only qn is at what price? Doubt they'll let u hv all the cherries by yourself.

Dun see why they wun sell to u.

Only qn is at what price? Doubt they'll let u hv all the cherries by yourself.

the se calculation was simple, x model selling for 110k and the then latest coe px was 55k, so I hv to pay 55k for the car should i m bidding my coe.

i think the reason is control. AD who has big numbers of orders need to push out the cars or when their shipments arrive. they dont want to end up selling piece-meal without COE.

by controlling the COE bidding, they can control their selling numbers and sales targets. but of course the AD are competing with each other...

everyday consumers like us suck thumb lor....

Is there any disadvantage to bid for an Open COE (CAT E) instead of CAT A or B? on LTA website, it states the following:

• COEs in Categories A, B and D are non-transferable, while COEs in Categories C and E are transferable only once if the COEs were bid under the name of an individual. If the Categories C and E COEs were bid under the name of a company, business (including limited liability partnership, club, associations, etc.) or organisation, the COEs are not transferableClick here to see the different vehicle categories.
  • COEs bid in Categories A, B and D are valid for 6 months, while COEs in Categories C and E are valid for 3 months ("Temporary COE"). If the Temporary COE (TCOE) successfully bid for the registration of vehicle is not utilised by its expiry date, the TCOE will lapse and its full bid deposit [ie. $200 for Category D and $10,000 (or $5,000 for bid applications during the COE bidding exercises conducted from October 2009 to September 2010) for Categories A, B, C and E] forfeited.

That was a lot of fun for $2!  Not to mention so many comments on this thread.  Yes, I didn't get the COE this time round.  Thanks for all the comments.  I will probably try again.  

Here is another video I made, of the run-up to the closing time.  Hope you have fun watching how the numbers move up.  This time round, Cat A shot up very early, so last 10 minutes quite stable.  Cat B shot up later, and there was more action in Cat B during the last 10 minutes.

Check this out.

• Praise 1

Our COE bid is precisely having quite a fair number of independent bidders so I don't see how it can be collaborated. If you talking about art pieces then maybe cos of the small no. of bidders but even then there are checks in place to regulate it but for our COE it's both Open in the sense that it's transparent price for all to see and yet close in the sense of bidders behind computers so I believe it can't be collaborated. 

since you say it cannot be collaborated. Let me ask you and everyone else in this thread a maths question.

Lets say for this bidding the quota is 1001 COE.

There are 1000 bidders.

1-5 are big AD of cars. They are aggressive in bidding cuz they need to get COE to close their deals. 1-2 is bidding for 300 COE each, 3-5 is bidding for 200 COE each. 

6-15 are PI. They bid for 40 cars each.

16-1000 are independent people who bid one COE low in hope of windfall. 

Altogether there will be 300*2+200*3+40*10+985=2585 bids with 1000 independent bidders.

Let me ask you, if I want to start a COE price fixing group, who must I rope in for it to work?

Edited by Wind30

since you say it cannot be collaborated. Let me ask you and everyone else in this thread a maths question.

Lets say for this bidding the quota is 1000 COE.

There are 1000 bidders.

1-5 are big AD of cars. They are aggressive in bidding cuz they need to get COE to close their deals. 1-2 is bidding for 300 COE each, 3-5 is bidding for 200 COE each.

6-15 are PI. They bid for 40 cars each.

16-1000 are independent people who bid one COE low in hope of windfall.

Altogether there will be 300*2+200*3+40*10+985=2585 bids with 1000 independent bidders.

Let me ask you, if I want to start a COE price fixing group, who must I rope in for it to work?

In the first place, no AD knows how big another AD's order book is though an educated guess might gather some results. In the second place, in a dog eat dog business world, u won't trust your fellow big AD to collaborate with u. Likely he'll screw u instead. Apologies for the words used.

There is a story about how a few pawnshop bosses gathered to rig a bidding process n all the heads had a gentleman's agreement to bid low to screw the seller. When the bids came out, all the prices were not what was agreed by the pawnshops bosses n it was each man for his own. So much for gentleman's agreement but I guess when it comes to their livelihood there is no such thing as being a gentleman! This is a true story which happens in the 60s.

So in short even if a few ADs managed to come around the table to collobarate the COE bidding, would PML trust C & C to keep their side of the bargain? Think I'd rather trust someone else!

• Praise 5

That was a lot of fun for $2! Not to mention so many comments on this thread. Yes, I didn't get the COE this time round. Thanks for all the comments. I will probably try again.

Here is another video I made, of the run-up to the closing time. Hope you have fun watching how the numbers move up. This time round, Cat A shot up very early, so last 10 minutes quite stable. Cat B shot up later, and there was more action in Cat B during the last 10 minutes.

Check this out.

Thanks for the video!! Gave insights that dealers are still willing to bid at least 46k next round. Self biddings next round please beat this if u wanna secure. I would rather wait. Meanwhile, grab blue chips to keep.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1