Why are there so many vehicles on the road weekdays 1-4pm?

Zxcvb

Population growth is reflected on our roads. 15 years ago, heavy and goods vehicles travel on left lane. These days, they travel on left and and second-left lanes. On PIE, this means that left and middle lanes are occupied by vehicles speed limited 50 kmh and 70 km/h respectively. Cars are pushed to the right lane and due to speed cameras, all very disciplined to keep to 90 kmh. Overall, speeds have fallen and is alomost impossible to keep the recommended car lengths apart.

BTW, I am anti growing population to 6.9 mio. In fact i rather turn the clock back and stay at 4+ mio. I had a better quality life than now when population was smaller.

• Praise 4

What says COE is not working?  Vehicles population has been decreasing over past 24 mths.

The only reason ERP is not working is because it is not expensive enough.

Try this:

ERP price is based on rolling 3 months average speed of each gantry.  For every 10km below legal speed limit, $10 will be charged.

If rolling 3 months average speed is 30km/h on ERP gantry on CTE in front of Australian International School, that gantry should charged $50.

This will eliminate all the poor ppl from driving.

Erhmmm..... r u working for L** ??? nvm.

If vehicles are decreasing (as you say so, which believe is by the number of registrations), then why we still have so many cars on the roads??? Mis-calculation of what the roads can handle VS number of car growth???

Actually, if we keep following what the other ppl do on road controls it is a no brainer and why we need pay the Ministers such high prices to copy and follow what others do???

Just by increasing the ERP pricing is just too simple a solution for use, but is this the best way? Why build expressways and then keep the mass public away from using them?

Erhmmm..... r u working for L** ??? nvm.

If vehicles are decreasing (as you say so, which believe is by the number of registrations), then why we still have so many cars on the roads??? Mis-calculation of what the roads can handle VS number of car growth???

Actually, if we keep following what the other ppl do on road controls it is a no brainer and why we need pay the Ministers such high prices to copy and follow what others do???

Just by increasing the ERP pricing is just too simple a solution for use, but is this the best way? Why build expressways and then keep the mass public away from using them?

Reduction of vehicles does not change usage pattern.  Unless you are on the road more than 12 hrs/day, you will not be able to assess the change in usage pattern.

From Dec 2013 to Dec 2015, the number of vehicles reduce by 17k (over a population of 957k).  Is it significant enough to reduce the number of vehicles on the road?

By increasing ERP pricing, ppl will have to drive following speed limit of expressway.  That efficient.  Currently, we have a lot of slow moving traffic.  That's inefficient.

M06-Vehs_by_Type(1).pdf

expressway instead of limit top speed must limit low speed ...

below 90kmph = fine ... lol ... just kidding la ...

the problem is lane 1 and 2 cars slowly changing lane to exit ... jamming all the lanes !!! [mad]

By increasing ERP pricing, ppl will have to drive following speed limit of expressway.  That efficient.  Currently, we have a lot of slow moving traffic.  That's inefficient.

Edited by Wt_know

I think market crashed, many people stressed, need to relieve some stress, so go for a midnight ride.

Apa ini? Title said 1-4pm la...not am. [laugh]

As above. I don't usually travel around this period of time. But when I did yesterday, it was very crowded for the time stipulated on CTE. At the back of my head was wondering...... "who are really these ppl driving on the road at this hour? Aren't they suppose to be at work?" 

I personally took off yesterday to attend to some personal matters. So how about the rest? Outdoor sales, delivery, construction trucks, taxis, insurance agents, tai tai heading for tea-break?? Or everybody just like me took off on the same day to do some personal errands?

my wife always go out to meet her friends shopping, drink coffe during this period :D

• Praise 1

expressway instead of limit top speed must limit low speed ...

below 90kmph = fine ... lol ... just kidding la ...

the problem is lane 1 and 2 cars slowly changing lane to exit ... jamming all the lanes !!! [mad]

By increasing ERP charges to astronomical level, driver will avoid do all this kind of pattern.  Otherwise, they have to prepare to pay $50 ERP.

Petrol is poised to be low priced for the foreseeable future.  Jam jam everywhere.  Satellites launched into space.  COE coming down.

The ground couldn't be sweeter for ERP2.  gogogo.

• Praise 5

Reduction of vehicles does not change usage pattern.  Unless you are on the road more than 12 hrs/day, you will not be able to assess the change in usage pattern.

From Dec 2013 to Dec 2015, the number of vehicles reduce by 17k (over a population of 957k).  Is it significant enough to reduce the number of vehicles on the road?

My friend, u stated 2013 to 2015 numbers. In the 1st place, why we need the reduction of cars when the COE is supposed to control an allowable car growth numbers? Do u mean that during these years, there is no COE in place?

Isn't this mis-cal? Or u may have a better explanation to it?

A bit confused by your statement....

By increasing ERP pricing, ppl will have to drive following speed limits? What connection are these 2? With the current rat-race, most ppl on the roads will drive at the speed limits plus a couple of kph (unless there's some blockage).

There maybe some aunties and uncles driving slowly, maybe TP can catch them and fine them for road hogging.

As above. I don't usually travel around this period of time. But when I did yesterday, it was very crowded for the time stipulated on CTE. At the back of my head was wondering...... "who are really these ppl driving on the road at this hour? Aren't they suppose to be at work?" 

I personally took off yesterday to attend to some personal matters. So how about the rest? Outdoor sales, delivery, construction trucks, taxis, insurance agents, tai tai heading for tea-break?? Or everybody just like me took off on the same day to do some personal errands?

during this period, don't forget many company's small bosses slip out office to SPA and meet their lovers, or play golf,

pretending to meet customers :grin:

• Praise 2

shift work people who have off day during weekdays.
tutors running around sg
property agents.
insurance agents.
people who take leave./ mc. 

shift work people who have off day during weekdays.

tutors running around sg

property agents.

insurance agents.

people who take leave./ mc. 

- Out of job people driving around looking for jobs and attending job interviews

- Out of job people driving around looking for jobs and attending job interviews

Jobless people if still can drive car for interview, means he is not so seriously looking for job, :D

• Praise 1

My friend, u stated 2013 to 2015 numbers. In the 1st place, why we need the reduction of cars when the COE is supposed to control an allowable car growth numbers? Do u mean that during these years, there is no COE in place?

Isn't this mis-cal? Or u may have a better explanation to it?

A bit confused by your statement....

By increasing ERP pricing, ppl will have to drive following speed limits? What connection are these 2? With the current rat-race, most ppl on the roads will drive at the speed limits plus a couple of kph (unless there's some blockage).

There maybe some aunties and uncles driving slowly, maybe TP can catch them and fine them for road hogging.

W/o COE, are you sure number of vehicles on the road will reduce?  Look at the LTA number, where's the growth?

Are you sure ppl driving following speed limits?  In Singapore, most drivers are kiasi.  It will be speed limit minus 10km/h

↡ Advertisement