Singapore drivers 'frustrated, stressed' with road condition

Wishcumstrue

Do you belong to one of the AIG survey statistics ?

Drivers here are often frustrated on the roads as they have to deal with "escalating unsafe and inconsiderate behaviour", according to a study released by AIG Singapore on Wednesday (Jan 20).

In an online survey of 800 respondents, 77% said they were annoyed about driving conditions in Singapore, while 53% reported feeling stressed. The top three causes of irritation for Singaporean drivers were (according to AIG survey)

1) reckless driving (60%),

2) drivers changing lanes without signalling (54%), and

3) drivers not allowing others to change lanes (50%)

20130902_roadsjam_tnp_0.jpg

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-drivers/2440654.html

To put the 3 main grouses into context.

My routine daily commute is probably 60mins.

Using the above 3 highlighted points.

Probably meet one or two reckless driver each day, the time of encounter probably took 6 secs including braking for each.

Probably will see 6 drivers not signaling while changing lanes. See only, so time cannot be meaningfully measured.

Encounter 4 that doesn't allow me to filter in. Probably lost 12 secs each encounter

Using time as a standard measurement. All the probably add up to a minute of bad encounter.

But why let my mood be affected by 1.6% of time spent on road and not let the mind focus on the 98%.

Edited by Atonchia
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Don't let the small percentage of time affect ourselves.

Everyone has the same amount of time. If we keep our mind in annoyance, life will always feel miserable.

It's a process I am still trying to get better at. As I do swear a little during that 60 secs of bad encounter.

Do you belong to one of the AIG survey statistics ?

Drivers here are often frustrated on the roads as they have to deal with "escalating unsafe and inconsiderate behaviour", according to a study released by AIG Singapore on Wednesday (Jan 20).

In an online survey of 800 respondents, 77% said they were annoyed about driving conditions in Singapore, while 53% reported feeling stressed. The top three causes of irritation for Singaporean drivers were (according to AIG survey)

1) reckless driving (60%),

2) drivers changing lanes without signalling (54%), and

3) drivers not allowing others to change lanes (50%)

20130902_roadsjam_tnp_0.jpg

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-drivers/2440654.html

Never mention lane hogger

Change lane but please ensure you dont cause the vechicle to brake.

• Praise 1

Stressed today becos kena fxxk by a rider who was in the wrong.

Was turning right at a T junction to go along the one way direction n nearly got T boned by this CCB travelling in wrong direction trying to take a short cut towards the left side of the T junction which is a two way.

Pointed to him the traffic sign of one way direction...Instead of an apology n move on he put on the defensive mode n fxxk...

Thanks for reading my rant.

Got video showing him travelling in the wrong direction? Send to TP and let him has a taste of anyhow fxxk people when he's in the wrong.

Got video showing him travelling in the wrong direction? Send to TP and let him has a taste of anyhow fxxk people when he's in the wrong.

Just move on after a rant, otherwise I'd be sending TP videos every week for others wrongdoings...

Yup, that was the reply I got too. I did not know if the fella was charged or not.

Any idea if the guy was fined? Last time i used to report and all I get was a notification telling me that if they need me to testify in court, will i be willing to do so. We should report all these often. Too many teckless and inconsiderate drivers...of all nationalities..
Cool bro. Thanks!!!!

Anyone saw the Toyota MRS with tyres ji ba boom after MCE Maxwell Exit this morning?

S*Z5272*

Another soon to be scrapped car.

Female driver had to stop car on the chevron, and summon for help on her mobile. The rear tyres condition really quite chui.

I'm guessing poor maintenance of the tyres led to the blowout.

Anyone saw the Toyota MRS with tyres ji ba boom after MCE Maxwell Exit this morning?

S*Z5272*

Another soon to be scrapped car.

Female driver had to stop car on the chevron, and summon for help on her mobile. The rear tyres condition really quite chui.

Worse still:

• Those who just cut out suddenly because traffic in front slow down a bit
  • Even if the gap is very small, die die want to cut in quickly, making you have to jam brake

Which causes me of being guilty of no 3.

I hate drivers even gap so small want to "slot in".

They know if you knock their backside, then you will be at fault. So they are daring to do this act.

So simply have some anticipation skills of these fools and apply tactic no 3. :D

Edited by Ihave3Ballz
  • Praise 2

Not really. Take bus/MRT also stress.

If i take mrt, i am stressed cos its so squeezy and some people forget to shower in the morning lol

If without a car for day or two, i would take taxi

If i take mrt, i am stressed cos its so squeezy and some people forget to shower in the morning lol

If without a car for day or two, i would take taxi

I would avoid the train and take the bus instead, have to plan for travel time though
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

I would avoid the train and take the bus instead, have to plan for travel time though

I also prefer buses as they tend to just have less people overall... and if you are lucky to find one good direct bus to your destination, you don't have to get up get down get up... and if it's a low activity bus you can even sit all the way

And MRT is so damn slow during peak hours. I think even a cyclist rolls faster.

• Praise 1

I also prefer buses as they tend to just have less people overall... and if you are lucky to find one good direct bus to your destination, you don't have to get up get down get up... and if it's a low activity bus you can even sit all the way

And MRT is so damn slow during peak hours. I think even a cyclist rolls faster.

Exactly my thoughts when I was doing park and ride. On the mrt the crowd is just too close for comfort, personal space is at a premium.

Well, the hard truth is all of us made it difficult for ourselves on the road and are the cause of this unhappiness and unnecessary stress.

As you can see there's all kinds of reason, or in harsher terms, excuses, when it comes to why must we close the gap etc. it all stems down from the insecurity we had within us and of course the competitiveness among us.

To some they just wanna come up with cock and bull excuses on why they should close the gap, why they should not signal when they wanna go out as ppl will close the gap, why they drive suv etc etc.

Ain't it obvious? If all of us made a concerted effort, won't it be different? But obviously no one wants to do it, or rather the ones doing it are the minority.

SUVs are supposed to be a family car, for some they drive to 'jiam we', carve in and out from extreme right lane it of expressway just by going in head first.

Those whom close the gap and refuse to signal so as to 'go ahead of others' come out with bulls that if they do so, they are lagged behind. Please la, how many seconds will you lose? Same mentality goes to those whom chose to close the gap. All excuses and reasons are bull as one just wanna care for themselves, be ahead of others, have a smooth journey for themselves, and it's always others at fault.

With the 'I' mentality all over the road, coupled with the 'I own a ex car and/or big car' thus I deserve more ownership on the road in sg is simply there because all of us chose that.

One can say 'Aiya not me what it's the culture'. Same bull, not me again. So if all of us don't do anything, will it change for the better? No. So how? It's better to kill each other like how we do so in the workplace to go ahead of each other? Dog eat dog world? Haha.

So that's it. All these problems are caused by us and we can only blame ourselves for it. Having an off day at work is your problem, having a bigger engine is also your own problem. That's the harsh truth. All are similar on the road. If one choose to tailgate that's also your problem. If just for one day, all could try to be kinder to each other it'll be a better place for all of us.

So there you have it, all these 'stress' are caused by ourselves. No? That's the harsh truth which no one likes to accept. Happens all e time ain't it? At work it's always others at fault, never yourself. Why should we blame ourselves on the road?

Food for thought.

• Praise 10

Turbocharged

Those whom close the gap and refuse to signal so as to 'go ahead of others' come out with bulls that if they do so, they are lagged behind. Please la, how many seconds will you lose? Same mentality goes to those whom chose to close the gap. All excuses and reasons are bull as one just wanna care for themselves, be ahead of others, have a smooth journey for themselves, and it's always others at fault.

While I don't disagree with much of what you're saying, it is also true that many instances of a few seconds become minutes, and minutes eventually become hours. Over your journey and over your lifetime, that is a lot of time.

While I don't disagree with much of what you're saying, it is also true that many instances of a few seconds become minutes, and minutes eventually become hours. Over your journey and over your lifetime, that is a lot of time.

well if such mentality is always on our minds, then we are better off not having any graciousness on the road. Can't get any worse off than the current state right? Lol.

I make it a point as long as someone signal early I'll let them in, but I'm a minority and quite often than not peeps will think I'm a dumbo for doing that, esp those driving when they see me doing that hah. But I still do it, because when I picture myself in that situation, I hope others will do that for me too.

We can't expect others to do that to us but we don't do the same to others.

Edited by Runforyourlife
↡ Advertisement