2013 - 2018 3rd Gen Mercedes A class (W176)

Yaloryalor

From my understanding, all A180 2015 models have been sold out. When purchase during the motor show, the earliest stock availability is in Mid-March

When inquire about the A200 in Jan, all stocks sold out. I think the A200 model Sng28 mention is the 2016 model as well but not launch earlier this part of the year.

Hopefully the new batch comes with LED headlights not the dated halogen blubs. Nowadays even 1.5L Jap car comes with DRL and Keyless entry.

Cant imagine paying about $130K no these basic functions.

From my understanding, all A180 2015 models have been sold out. When purchase during the motor show, the earliest stock availability is in Mid-March

When inquire about the A200 in Jan, all stocks sold out. I think the A200 model Sng28 mention is the 2016 model as well but not launch earlier this part of the year.

actually no, its just 2016 year of manufacture lol, if omv is changed, prepare to make 50% downpayment lol

Edited by Runforyourlife

Hopefully the new batch comes with LED headlights not the dated halogen blubs. Nowadays even 1.5L Jap car comes with DRL and Keyless entry.

Cant imagine paying about $130K no these basic functions.

The current new model C-class also no electric adjustment for front & back for seats. Only electric for up/down and backrest angle. I thought it should be altogether one, comprehensive.

I also see some CLA180 with the normal halogen headlights.. Maybe some is PI.

The current new model C-class also no electric adjustment for front & back for seats. Only electric for up/down and backrest angle. I thought it should be altogether one, comprehensive.

I also see some CLA180 with the normal halogen headlights.. Maybe some is PI.

You sure the New C, W205 not full electric chairs?

CLA should have the LED headlights and DRL.

Suddenly I feel CnC seems like Kah Motor. Give low specs and charge high high! HAHAHA...

Suddenly I feel CnC seems like Kah Motor. Give low specs and charge high high! HAHAHA...

Yeah, I can't say for the C200. I only checked out the C180. That's why I was puzzled. At this price level, front & back adjustment still need manual lever. If they already provide electric adjustment for up/down and backrest angle, how come cannot just accommodate the front/back right.. So weird.

Other German offerings at this price level (or slightly lower) also have this as standard.

Yeah, I can't say for the C200. I only checked out the C180. That's why I was puzzled. At this price level, front & back adjustment still need manual lever. If they already provide electric adjustment for up/down and backrest angle, how come cannot just accommodate the front/back right.. So weird.

Other German offerings at this price level (or slightly lower) also have this as standard.

Like tat only half pass six standard <_<

I fully agree. CnC are profit driven only and really disappoint in terms of the trim they bring in. 

Some examples:

1. C180 is FAKE leather - so called artico leather. Imagine paying that much for a C class and it comes with fake leather when a toyota altis comes in real leather. Guess what else... The SE will NOT tell you its fake unless you ask them straight to their face!

2. Only C200 comes in real leather BUT it costs $30k more!!! And this is just because there is a longer waiting time for this.

3. GLC250 which is now on sale for $224800... Guess what.... Again FAKE LEATHER!!!

I'm aiming for the new E class W213 when its available later this year.... But I may go PI route cos CnC will care more about their profit and probably give fake leather for entry E200.... lol... and charge $290k for a car with OMV $45k. Imagine their profit margins!

Also, the OMV of CnC cars are steadily dropping as the years go by.... My old E200 OMV was $57k. Nowadays, all E class less than $50K. This I'm sure reflects the amount of options they bring in and again their profit margin.

Edited by Penyekz

I fully agree. CnC are profit driven only and really disappoint in terms of the trim they bring in. 

Some examples:

1. C180 is FAKE leather - so called artico leather. Imagine paying that much for a C class and it comes with fake leather when a toyota altis comes in real leather. Guess what else... The SE will NOT tell you its fake unless you ask them straight to their face!

2. Only C200 comes in real leather BUT it costs $30k more!!! And this is just because there is a longer waiting time for this.

3. GLC250 which is now on sale for $224800... Guess what.... Again FAKE LEATHER!!!

I'm aiming for the new E class W213 when its available later this year.... But I may go PI route cos CnC will care more about their profit and probably give fake leather for entry E200.... lol... and charge $290k for a car with OMV $45k. Imagine their profit margins!

Also, the OMV of CnC cars are steadily dropping as the years go by.... My old E200 OMV was $57k. Nowadays, all E class less than $50K. This I'm sure reflects the amount of options they bring in and again their profit margin.

Lower OMV across the board these days is due to Daimler importing cars themselves, hence transfer pricing of inter company settlement dictates the CIF value presented to customs. As long as the transfer pricing is acceptable by IRAS/customs for tax, it will benefit Daimler to pay less ARF, custom excise duty and GST. 

At the same time, the local pricing of the car is dictated by Daimler to reflect the value of their car regardless of OMV, while keeping it competitive, yet differentiating themselves from the others. 

Because you know the OMV, that's why you think you can calculate their profit margin and feel ripped off. 

What if you can see the OMV of a Louis Vuitton bag? Your eyes will probably pop out even more. Will you continue buying the LV bag? Most probably, but continue to grumble nonetheless of their exorbitant profit margin. 

If you are in business, what profit margin will you be looking at to appease shareholders? 

The E200 list price at $263,888 with OMV of 50k at COE 50k commands a profit margin of 28.5% 

If they give $20k overtrade, their margin shrinks to 22.7% 

What is the profit margin of an iPhone? 40%

Profit margin of an LV bag? easily 300-400% if not more. 

What about a condo at OCR? Probably about 20%

Note: operating margin of a product do not reflect the actual P+L of a company. There's still SG&A, impairment, D&A, financial cost and taxes before you hit the bottom line to declare dividend for shareholders. Therefore a sufficiently large margin (or volume) is necessary for sustainable business. 

• Praise 3

I suppose exchange rate also has an impact on the OMV too.

of course... and we are assuming the OMV is the actual COGS. 

There is still C&C in the picture who wants a cut in the profit. 

Edited by Miles

Lower OMV across the board these days is due to Daimler importing cars themselves, hence transfer pricing of inter company settlement dictates the CIF value presented to customs. As long as the transfer pricing is acceptable by IRAS/customs for tax, it will benefit Daimler to pay less ARF, custom excise duty and GST. 

At the same time, the local pricing of the car is dictated by Daimler to reflect the value of their car regardless of OMV, while keeping it competitive, yet differentiating themselves from the others. 

Because you know the OMV, that's why you think you can calculate their profit margin and feel ripped off. 

What if you can see the OMV of a Louis Vuitton bag? Your eyes will probably pop out even more. Will you continue buying the LV bag? Most probably, but continue to grumble nonetheless of their exorbitant profit margin. 

If you are in business, what profit margin will you be looking at to appease shareholders? 

The E200 list price at $263,888 with OMV of 50k at COE 50k commands a profit margin of 28.5% 

If they give $20k overtrade, their margin shrinks to 22.7% 

What is the profit margin of an iPhone? 40%

Profit margin of an LV bag? easily 300-400% if not more. 

What about a condo at OCR? Probably about 20%

Note: operating margin of a product do not reflect the actual P+L of a company. There's still SG&A, impairment, D&A, financial cost and taxes before you hit the bottom line to declare dividend for shareholders. Therefore a sufficiently large margin (or volume) is necessary for sustainable business. 

Good points brought up and think David in the BMW thread also mentioned something similar going on with PML/BMW Asia/Parent etc.

From importer point if view nothing wrong have best of both worlds. Low OMV due to direct import and yet keeping the price high to reflect its premium value and making shareholders happy.

However from buyer's point of view, fact remains that you pay an extraordinary higher premium for a Benz, BMW and some other premium brands. It's also factual that buyer can choose not to buy if they feel the price is not worth it.

So end of day, I can see both sides of the argument and as I always advise buyers, $ is yours so choose according to what you feel is a fair price and don't need to bitch about the high premiums these marques are earning.

At the same token, I don't see the need to defend why these marques are selling at such a high price, that it's worth it as their brands offer better quality etc. It is a rip-off, no 2 ways about it and no need for us consumers to justify for them why they earning so much.

Go in with your eyes open and like the comparison with branded goods, they can only survive cos buyers willing to buy and life is such that deals are done on a willing buyer/willing seller situation so just have to accept it.

• Praise 7

I thought people buying such makes should be not or less concerned about dealer profit margin. Usually KR JP car buyers are more bothered with these.

No offence but I just think it's weird. Do people go around checking how much profit margin the business make then decide to buy? If not, why only do it for cars? There are a lot more things in life we buy on a daily basis that have more than 30% profit margin.

Compare specs, trim level, design, space, brand feel good factor ok lah. If compare this model 28% margin, another 25% margin, ok I buy the 25% margin one because I want them to make lesser of my money, so lol.

Edited by Audi2016

I thought people buying such makes should be not or less concerned about dealer profit margin. Usually KR JP car buyers are more bothered with these.

Only if buying low end one. Since now merc got low end models, so ppl tend to scrutinize every bit of detail lo..

Some examples:

The fake leather really cheapskate. Fake leather was popular 15 years ago cos real leather seats are expensive.

The car cost so expensive still using fake leather.

I also noticed their cars omv is getting lower compared to last time. It affects badly when buyers sell the car in 10 years time.

Maybe the weak competitions from BM and Lexus recent years gave CNC too relax so they not willing to lure buyers with good quality finishing/ options.

• Praise 1

No offence but I just think it's weird. Do people go around checking how much profit margin the business make then decide to buy? If not, why only do it for cars? There are a lot more things in life we buy on a daily basis that have more than 30% profit margin.

Compare specs, trim level, design, space, brand feel good factor ok lah. If compare this model 28% margin, another 25% margin, ok I buy the 25% margin one because I want them to make lesser of my money, so lol.

Well I'm not concerned about dealer's profit margin... We all know how much they make... I am just annoyed that for a premium marque, CnC decide to skimp on leather to fatten their pocket that extra $3k when they are already profiting $80k. Why sell a mercedes with fake leather when a corolla or civic comes with genuine leather. 10 years ago, it would have been unheard of for CnC to sell merc with no leather.

• Praise 2

I suppose it all boils down to desirability...

A Class does not have "start/stop" button, even when a basic Toyota Wish has. (I saw from C&C website that it is a 1-2k option)

Toyota Altis does not have rear air-con blower, yet Hyundai Avante comes with it, at cheaper price.

Dealers will sell what consumers are willing to pay for.....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1