• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
81 replies to this topic | 215 praises

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

Content needs funding to be produced. That's why they are being charged. Whether premium or not, depends on the local content providers (e.g. mio or StarHub) as they bid to purchase the content for release in Singapore.

Yes, we can complain that it might be too expensive but then again, we have the choice not to purchase it and live with the FTA content which may not be as engaging or interesting to watch.

At the end of the day, something's gotta give.

Just my humble tuppence.

i watched 30-40 movies in cinema and attend 6-8 concerts/play a year, i respect the original work and pay for their effort.

some time when there are too many movies in the month that i might miss a few, i will stream them online. Example the recent Wonder Woman that my wife and kids watched in cinema without me  <_<  <_<   i still can't find a decent HD quality to stream   [laugh]  [laugh]

骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

Wyfitms
  • Premium member
    Wyfitms
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Good move
Wonder Woman is best watched alone without the wife
Lala81 and Jamesc praised this

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

sorry... i will never forget.... watch until the most exciting moment in 2012... kenna disrupted... and all i got was a sorry... and abt 2mins of wtf is going on...

wat clampdown? many of my peers and me have been watching it for FREE over the years with ease with a computer...

the box just allowed less tech savvy ppl to access it... i hv been using my netbook with HDMI output to watch movies on demand for years... way before this ''pirated'' boxes...

lucky i that time no more interest in soccer! Even now with Starhub sports channel i wont watch soccer....i rather watch badminton, motogp and wrestling (for entertainment)
I still remember the days of freeviewfootball.com. Going through all the channels to watch a Man U games was rather a beach.....😂😂😂

Good move
Wonder Woman is best watched alone without the wife

no wonder they call wife as Wonder(ing) woman....😂😂😂
Together We stand Alone

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

lucky i that time no more interest in soccer! Even now with Starhub sports channel i wont watch soccer....i rather watch badminton, motogp and wrestling (for entertainment)
I still remember the days of freeviewfootball.com. Going through all the channels to watch a Man U games was rather a beach.....😂😂😂
no wonder they call wife as Wonder(ing) woman....😂😂😂

bro, you Man Utd supporter?! steady la!!  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Sienta X 2009, Sienta Hybrid X 2017
PSA: Get car cam if you still have not done so...
PSA2: Apply for vCashcard...

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

Evillusion
  • Premium member
    Evillusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

bro, you Man Utd supporter?! steady la!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Ya....since 1978 when they beat Liverpool in fa cup semis or quarter! I went to watch them when they played in sg in 99 or 2000. Alex Stephany, Gordon Hill, Steve Coppel were my hero back when i was a young boy!
kdash praised this
Together We stand Alone

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Legal set-top boxes fly off the shelves at Sim Lim Square

http://www.todayonli...-sim-lim-square

A day after the Coalition Against Piracy — whose members include major entertainment companies — said the devices facilitate “rampant” piracy in Singapore, TODAY visited the mall on Tuesday (Dec 5) and found shops on all six floors selling the set-top boxes.

Unlike earlier iterations that decoded broadcasts and have been forbidden under the Broadcasting Act, the devices make use of apps to access copyrighted content.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Technology has put content pirates ahead of the curve, experts say

http://www.todayonli...rve-experts-say

Set-top boxes – used to stream movies, television shows or sports programmes – have, in the past, decoded encrypted broadcasts offered by Starhub. The sale and distribution of these decoders are illegal under the Broadcasting Act.

However, in the past three to five years, new technologies have allowed pirates to circumvent the law. The latest iteration makes use of apps to access copyrighted content.

In May 2014, two men were charged under the Broadcasting Act for dealing in illegal set-top boxes. A total of 233 boxes were seized in a police raid, weeks after Singtel expressed displeasure over illegal set-top boxes allowing illegal access to English Premier League broadcasts, which both Singtel and Starhub shared.

However, the set-top boxes nowadays that use apps to stream content do not have decoders and are considered legal.

The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) reaffirmed its stance that only such devices with decoding capabilities are illegal.

“Our position has not changed. The devices highlighted in (the 2014 incident) were designed to decode encrypted broadcast signals, allowing users full access to TV programmes without paying subscription fees. In such a scenario, copyright infringement is an issue as the devices were used in a manner that is illegal,” it told TODAY.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i love these android box,

free streaming movies, karaoke, anime  [laugh]

Opel17, Jamesc and Sdf4786k praised this
bluey Tiko Ranger

I have a pen, I have an apple..

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i love these android box,

free streaming movies, karaoke, anime  [laugh]

even IPOS says its legal, so i guess can continue to enjoy haha... 

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Isn't it funny when these companies can't do anything to protect their own property against piracy and want govt of countries to stop it? Why should they? What do they stand to gain? The govt have to spend money to stop piracy and who's paying them to do it? these companies? Nope.

Vid praised this
Feel so rich. Or just an illusion?

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Heng my streaming sites are still broadcasting :grin:

i watched 30-40 movies in cinema and attend 6-8 concerts/play a year, i respect the original work and pay for their effort.

some time when there are too many movies in the month that i might miss a few, i will stream them online. Example the recent Wonder Woman that my wife and kids watched in cinema without me <_< <_< i still can't find a decent HD quality to stream [laugh] [laugh]

I watch jb one :grin:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

StefanK
  • Premium member
    StefanK
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

my only guess why this 'coalition' is prodding the SG govt with this article, is because they need to set a precedence, and how is it not any easier with a model country that practices legislation to the word and not afraid to mete out the punishments.

But the basis? Simply because these companies are not able to profit from these top boxes. Do we see Netflix complaining? Not yet, but because all these top boxes make Netflix more accessible (cheaper than a netbook) and to enjoy Netflix, you need subscription, so it's win-win for Netflix and the consumers.

Same reason why these 'coalition' members are churning out Netflix-esque apps to get themselves into these devices, my guess is it's not working out well.

The unique case in Singapore is not only about money, but also the fact that our citizens are so well connected to the internet, we have access to content not found in our country, the draw of local providers is simply too low.

I would rather risk and watch GoT or even Spartacus (the TV series) online than to watch it later, heavily censored. It's like buying the Japanese rock melon, but you are only allowed a bite of it.

Sdf4786k praised this

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Nobody expect zero piracy... it’s more like control so that we don’t get flagged as a pirate haven.

all these blatant selling and installation of pirate software for uncles and aunties is too much. My relative did not ask for the pirate software, he dunno what is streaming and all he wanted was a tv. But he was happy that his tv can download movies.... like bonus function....

haha share which shop did such value added service

Isn't it funny when these companies can't do anything to protect their own property against piracy and want govt of countries to stop it? Why should they? What do they stand to gain? The govt have to spend money to stop piracy and who's paying them to do it? these companies? Nope.

actually the big media companies also stand to gain a lot.

especially for the kids stuff.

What paw patrol, super wings, Dora, Peppa Pig etc etc etc 

Merchandising. Theme parks. 

honestly we Singaporeans are totally not concerned about IP cos we are mostly IP consumers. Not producers. Just like most SEAs and most of asia ex-JP.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Since its legal so which box to get?

:D

kdash praised this
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Since its legal so which box to get?

Subscribe to netflix lor

Mustank praised this
Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

agree on this. btw i'm also subscribing to Mio TV, so nothing against cable TV. 

as bro SuPerBoRed mentioned, even if there is a clampdown on the devices, we can still stream from our laptops and mobile devices as long as its connected to the net. 

nowadays no country is immune to piracy... the onus is on the company to set up the necessary security systems and firewalls for their online systems. 

and the most efficient way to clamp down on rampant video piracy is...

to BAN THE INTERNET !

Edited by Kb27, 07 December 2017 - 12:23 AM.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:44 AM

Terrylmt
  • Premium member
    Terrylmt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

to BAN THE INTERNET !

Mai sio hai lah!! [whip]

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:15 AM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Subscribe to netflix lor

No thanks I have Asian values

and only like to watch Japanese

adult educational videos.  [thumbsup]

Carbon82 and Babyckh praised this
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

to BAN THE INTERNET !

Singapore tries to ban VPN

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

Terrylmt
  • Premium member
    Terrylmt
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Singapore tries to ban VPN

Not when we have so many foreign companies housing their regional HQ here...

No thanks I have Asian values

and only like to watch Japanese

adult educational videos. [thumbsup]

The go-back-to-school syllabus? Office etiquette syllabus? Or scientific research syllabus?
Jamesc praised this

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: iptv, streaming, movies, anyone and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users