Is a subwoofer necessary?

Clement

Hi guys

If I add an amp to my stock HU & speakers, will it have a decernable improvement on the sound quality? What is the minimum I'm expected to pay for the amp?

Thanks!

You would be much better off buying a good 2-way component speaker up front powered by a decent amp.

Can leave the rear stock speakers unchanged and powered by HU or amp.

That will give u the most bang for the buck. Good luck!

• Praise 1

Hi guys

If I add an amp to my stock HU & speakers, will it have a decernable improvement on the sound quality? What is the minimum I'm expected to pay for the amp?

Thanks!

Agreed with bro Clement..

No point wasting the amp on the stock speakers.. If budget is a concern, of course u can install the amp first, follow by upgrading of component speakers at a later time..

Do note that if u to the wrong place, or wrong upgrading process, it's gonna cost u a lot more..

• Praise 1

Hi,

If you got a pair of two-way component speakers in front and a pair of two-way co-axial speakers at the rear powered by a decent 4 channel amplifier, is it still necessary to install a subwoofer plus dedicated amp in the boot?

I certainly do not want to get that thunderous killer bass which can be heard outside of the car!

Thanks.

Well then no.

:D

• Praise 1

Well then no.

:D

Yes, omitted the subwoofer. Quite happy with the sound so far. See no need for a subwoofer.

For those of u who are considering adding a subwoofer, think again, you may or may not need it.

• Praise 1

Yes to subwoofer if you are particular about music. No, if you are not. Simple as that.

Most thought sub is for the boom boom sound. Yes and no. A good sub completes the music, fills the low frequency aspect and is suppose to blend in with the music. If anyone ever have a chance to sit in a car with a really good setup with sub, ask the owner to play some music(not necessary rock or loud type). After that, on and off the sub. You will then realize what you have been missing.

• Praise 3

Yes to subwoofer if you are particular about music. No, if you are not. Simple as that.

Most thought sub is for the boom boom sound. Yes and no. A good sub completes the music, fills the low frequency aspect and is suppose to blend in with the music. If anyone ever have a chance to sit in a car with a really good setup with sub, ask the owner to play some music(not necessary rock or loud type). After that, on and off the sub. You will then realize what you have been missing.

Totally agreed...

Installed n tuned correctly, a subwoofer will compliment your listening experience greatly. It's definitely not boom boom noise..

Think mine is setup pretty ok... Had never lived without a sub ever since i get it right.

This is so true. Don't be put off by what one see in the movies like fast and furious where cars with huge boombox just to show off and pump nothing but noise.

A proper setup and tune to your liking definitely will enhance the listening experience.

A simple test would be with a 2.1 channel sound bar at home - play your favourite music with and without the woofer to tell the vast difference.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

If you got a pair of two-way component speakers in front and a pair of two-way co-axial speakers at the rear powered by a decent 4 channel amplifier, is it still necessary to install a subwoofer plus dedicated amp in the boot?

I certainly do not want to get that thunderous killer bass which can be heard outside of the car!

Thanks.

yes singaporeans kaypo might even complain for noise pollution haiss

yes singaporeans kaypo might even complain for noise pollution haiss

Yes, agreed, have stopped next to cars with booming thunderous subwoofer.

Can feel the killer drum beats radiating through closed car window!

Noise pollution, very annoying indeed.

That is another reason why I am not getting it.

Yes, agreed, have stopped next to cars with booming thunderous subwoofer.

Can feel the killer drum beats radiating through closed car window!

Noise pollution, very annoying indeed.

That is another reason why I am not getting it.

These are the ones that like big bass and go for spl.

Sub is to complete the music low end. Simple as that. Those that know about sub knows that it is not simply boom boom boom.

I think those boom boom drivers last time sell pirate CDs at pasar malam. Just kidding, I think as long as one enjoys the music, it doesn't matter if it's loud or subtle. It's your own preference. Many people are happy with their stock speakers playing radio.

I install a cheap underseat sub to improve sound quality of my cheap components. I'm a noob on this so I had to read up quite a bit and what I learned is that you can cut off low freq and high freq for the main speakers so that it will play better because it doesn't have to handle those frequencies which are played by tweeters and subwoofer instead. 

So a subwoofer is unnecessary but it's a simple way to improve audio quality.

Edited by Nicholas
↡ Advertisement