Ford Grand C-Max

Docomospur

Anyone had a chance to check out this car yet?  Wondering if it could be a good alternative to the BMW 216 GT.  Branding-wise obviously not comparable, but it could be good value for money with sliding doors to boot.

grand-c-max-01.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Impression on paper I get is that 1.5l petrol turbo may not be enough to pull a 7 seater MPV which a diesel definitely can do but I stand corrected as I've not tried this car yet so pls do give feedback for those who have test driven. Cheers!

• Praise 6

Impression on paper I get is that 1.5l petrol turbo may not be enough to pull a 7 seater MPV which a diesel definitely can do but I stand corrected as I've not tried this car yet so pls do give feedback for those who have test driven. Cheers!

On paper, the C-Max's 148 bhp, 240 Nm and 1432 kg kerb weight seems to compare alright with the Bimmer's 116 bhp, 270 NM and 1505 kg kerb weight. But yes, agree that test driving is key.

On paper, the C-Max's 148 bhp, 240 Nm and 1432 kg kerb weight seems to compare alright with the Bimmer's 116 bhp, 270 NM and 1505 kg kerb weight. But yes, agree that test driving is key.

U could be right but why I feel GT216 may edge it is cos diesel torque comes in early unlike petrol but it would be interesting to compare for sure. Keep the feedback coming guys!

• Praise 4

Diesel may not come in earlier than petrol TC engine and the band of peak torque is much wider than any diesel TC offers. Thus, the 30Nm is unlikely to make any difference to most driver and probably will find petrol version is more spirited to drive.

U could be right but why I feel GT216 may edge it is cos diesel torque comes in early unlike petrol but it would be interesting to compare for sure. Keep the feedback coming guys!

Turbocharged

AD got bring this in??

was shown at the motorshow and is on pricelist. I'm not clear on the specs, but if one cannot wait for the S-Max, this could be a great value buy

Spoken to sales agent and saying this model should have been brought in way before. If you ask my opinion, it is a compact MPV. 

I would categorise MPVs into 3 categories

Compact MPV by my definition would be suitable for small or young families with small kids. I would say under 10 years old. Reason being that these cars have the option of seating 6/7 children but not full-sized adults. This is a small car which you would easily drive and park around town and at the same time not having to worry that your kids have to squeeze. 

Cars in this category: Ford C-Max, Honda Mobilio, Honda Freed, Kia Carens, etc. 

Medium size MPV would be, by my definition, a 5 + 2 seater. Meaning the first 2 rows should comfortably sit 5 adults and the last row being more suitable for children. This would be something more ideal for families with children who are starting to experience their growth spurt and are just starting to require more space. Also suitable for larger families who want a car that seats all members but do not often require the use of all 7/8 seats. Eg. I have 7 family members and we want a car that seats all of us. However, we seldom go out all at once due to the differences in all our schedules, thus there is no point buying a full size MPV. So the main usage are the first 2 rows and the last row is usually folded down for additional loading space while it can still be functional when we need to haul 7/8 people. 

Cars in this category: Ford S-Max, Honda Odyssey, Grand Picasso, 

Full size MPV. Lastly, this category is for the almost 'limo' grade MPVs. These are the real big boys where all 3 rows can seat adults comfortably. These cars generally tend to be longer and have a higher roof height. This can/should be a consideration if you are buying one due to parking issues in MSCPs and so on. Also harder to drive especially if you have new license holders who are still not that confident yet. Should only be bought if you have the real use for such a huge capacity. In this category is where comparisons come into place as in this segment, the cars will either be very well spec'ed with accessories or it will be kinda basic. For example, the higher spec'd ones may come with screens for all chairs while the lower spec'd one may only have basic features. 

Cars in this category: Nissan Elgrand, Toyota Alphard, Toyota Vellfire, Ford Smax, Chrysler Grand Voyager. 

All in all, this is just my opinion and the way I classify them. I hope that it helps all of you make a more informed choice or aid in your comparison when purchasing car as it is important to make a more proper decision.

To sum up, here are some guiding questions:

1. Identify the passengers: young children, teenagers or adults? 

2. How often do you need full seating capacity?

3. What is your budget?

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Definitely looks interesting.

But a bit sian after reading this review:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/ford/ford-grand-c-max-review/

<quote>

the central seat is too narrow to take a child seat of its own, and passengers of all sizes will find it pretty uncomfortable on long journeys.

<unquote>

If it is similar to 2nd row central seat in Mazda 5, then quite and impractical and uncomfortable to sit on, as it is then effective 6+1 not 7.

• Praise 4

I am currently driving a Mazda 5 and looking for a replacement.  Was quite interested in this but realised there is no auto sliding door... Disappointed.

have not test drove the C-Max nor the BMW 2 series tourer. However, this is my past history with ford cars

2008 Mondeo (first hand) 2008-2015 sold to upgrade

2006 Focus ST (3rd hand) 2013-2015 sold to upgrade to RS

2010 Focus RS (2nd hand) 2015-current 

2014 Ford S-Max diesel 2.0 turbo 2015- current

I can't tell you for sure what the C-Max has given. but my dad and I have tested all 4 of these on both local and Malaysian territories and these cars really out perform most of the japs in the same class/price range. All we can say is the blue oval is severely under-rated because they are only able to outshine its competitors on the highway. A lot less struggle at higher speeds is what I would say. 

Definitely, fuel consumption may lose to it's japanese competitors but weight is something that prevents your car from 'floating' at higher speeds and the safety that comes with these cars are amazing. 

The mondeo had a minor kiss in the back when a driver accidentally released his brake at a red light. The mondeo bumper got 2 small hole because of the red plate bolt which sticks out. other than that, no problem but the honda jazz bumper and bonnet was alr dented upwards. The guy who bumped into us was friendly and was even impressed the difference in damage to both cars. 

We have also tested the focus mk3 and the new mondeo 2.0l and 1.5l (with paddle shifts) and I must say, they all are very impressive. Esp when the new mondeo 2.0l is competing with almost Merc E-class already. 

• Praise 1

Tested the C-Max while on the search for a replacement to my trusty S-Max. It won't replace the bigger car for sure in terms of spaciousness, but here are my impressions:

Size-wise, it is, as has been mentioned above, a compact MPV. Shorter than a Mazda 5 or Opel Zafira, especially at the rear overhang. This means a truly tiny boot with all 7 seats up, so if you need both luggage and passenger room, then it's not for you. I was expecting the legroom of the last row of seats to suffer as well, but it is surprisingly adequate. Not Estima-roomy, obviously, but coming from an S-Max, there wasn't a massive difference. The width has been compromised though, and the centre seat of the middle row should be reserved for your least favourite family member. Fortunately, it does a great magic trick of disappearing into one of the other seats, leaving a nice six-seater.

If you have seen the inside of a modern Ford, the C-Max should be quite familiar to you. Comfortable seats set a little high, controls where you expect them to be, and a good quality cabin all round. And the drive... that's the best part of a Ford, isn't it? Of all the MPVs I have driven in the past few months, the C-Max is the only one that comes close to matching the S-Max for steering accuracy, chassis responsiveness and control. It is massively predictable and intuitive, with none of the delay or even guesswork that comes with driving other people movers. The 1.5 litre petrol engine takes part of the credit for this, delivering a strong, linear urge all the way to the redline. In short, it just does what you expect it to. And that's all I can ask for in a family car.

So with a few caveats pertaining to space, I think it's quite a nice contender should you be looking at an MPV. And if Regent did something about the pricing, it would be even more attractive.

• Praise 3

Swopped from an S-Max (2.3) to a Kuga (1.5) last year. Had this been out earlier, I would have seriously considered it as well. The rd tax + fuel savings alone would be great for me as well. Obviously the boot space on the C-Max is not fantastic with the last 2 seats up, but since I use those only occasionally - it would have made a strong case against the Kuga.  

Plus: Love the sliding doors & 1.5 EcoBoost engine!

Minus: Middle row seats can't fully accomodate 3 adults & lack of boot space once the last row is up.  

Turbocharged

If they bring in the S-max with all the Titanium frills, it will likely be another great value buy.

It even has glare-free high beam, adaptive steering ratio and front camera among other stuff!

Spoken to sales agent and saying this model should have been brought in way before. If you ask my opinion, it is a compact MPV. 

I would categorise MPVs into 3 categories

Compact MPV by my definition would be suitable for small or young families with small kids. I would say under 10 years old. Reason being that these cars have the option of seating 6/7 children but not full-sized adults. This is a small car which you would easily drive and park around town and at the same time not having to worry that your kids have to squeeze. 

Cars in this category: Ford C-Max, Honda Mobilio, Honda Freed, Kia Carens, etc. 

Medium size MPV would be, by my definition, a 5 + 2 seater. Meaning the first 2 rows should comfortably sit 5 adults and the last row being more suitable for children. This would be something more ideal for families with children who are starting to experience their growth spurt and are just starting to require more space. Also suitable for larger families who want a car that seats all members but do not often require the use of all 7/8 seats. Eg. I have 7 family members and we want a car that seats all of us. However, we seldom go out all at once due to the differences in all our schedules, thus there is no point buying a full size MPV. So the main usage are the first 2 rows and the last row is usually folded down for additional loading space while it can still be functional when we need to haul 7/8 people. 

Cars in this category: Ford S-Max, Honda Odyssey, Grand Picasso, 

Full size MPV. Lastly, this category is for the almost 'limo' grade MPVs. These are the real big boys where all 3 rows can seat adults comfortably. These cars generally tend to be longer and have a higher roof height. This can/should be a consideration if you are buying one due to parking issues in MSCPs and so on. Also harder to drive especially if you have new license holders who are still not that confident yet. Should only be bought if you have the real use for such a huge capacity. In this category is where comparisons come into place as in this segment, the cars will either be very well spec'ed with accessories or it will be kinda basic. For example, the higher spec'd ones may come with screens for all chairs while the lower spec'd one may only have basic features. 

Cars in this category: Nissan Elgrand, Toyota Alphard, Toyota Vellfire, Ford Smax, Chrysler Grand Voyager. 

All in all, this is just my opinion and the way I classify them. I hope that it helps all of you make a more informed choice or aid in your comparison when purchasing car as it is important to make a more proper decision.

To sum up, here are some guiding questions:

1. Identify the passengers: young children, teenagers or adults? 

2. How often do you need full seating capacity?

3. What is your budget?

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Actually I don't quite agree with your categorization of the MPVs. For a start, Ody and grand picasso cannot be in the same class.

One bro here did one i think last year, which i thought was quite apt.

They were

- mid-sized (aka compact) MPVs

- full-sized MPVs

- boxy MPVs

- big-sized MPVs

Mid-sized would include Wish, Stream, Mazda 5, Mobilio, Carens, c-max, s-max, all the contis except sharan & viano, etc.

full-sized would be estima, ody, sharan, last time galaxy, previa, Mazda 8

boxy include triplets, biante, stepwagon, serena

big-sized would be alphard, vellfire, elgrand, viano, grand voyager

both kuga and c-max are on 1.5 ecoboost but different tune. kuga is 181bhp while c-max is 150++ if i can remember.

to me, ecoboost, as the name implies, you get economy and boost power, but from what i read, usually only boost. Ecoboost engine are not that economical in fuel but please share your FC so far. I went to see the kuga when it was retailing at 127k.

Swopped from an S-Max (2.3) to a Kuga (1.5) last year. Had this been out earlier, I would have seriously considered it as well. The rd tax + fuel savings alone would be great for me as well. Obviously the boot space on the C-Max is not fantastic with the last 2 seats up, but since I use those only occasionally - it would have made a strong case against the Kuga.  

Plus: Love the sliding doors & 1.5 EcoBoost engine!

Minus: Middle row seats can't fully accomodate 3 adults & lack of boot space once the last row is up.  

just basically how i break down la i never go into very much detail or comparison of each car. anyway yea my mistake that odyssey and grand picasso shouldnt be in the same class. 

just thought that sometimes ppl buy car they always just think oh mpv is mpv lor then they compare without realising that among MPVs they have different 'classes' as well. Just they way i classify la but ya agree with the list you put too... 

Actually I don't quite agree with your categorization of the MPVs. For a start, Ody and grand picasso cannot be in the same class.

One bro here did one i think last year, which i thought was quite apt.

They were

- mid-sized (aka compact) MPVs

- full-sized MPVs

- boxy MPVs

- big-sized MPVs

Mid-sized would include Wish, Stream, Mazda 5, Mobilio, Carens, c-max, s-max, all the contis except sharan & viano, etc.

full-sized would be estima, ody, sharan, last time galaxy, previa, Mazda 8

boxy include triplets, biante, stepwagon, serena

big-sized would be alphard, vellfire, elgrand, viano, grand voyager

both kuga and c-max are on 1.5 ecoboost but different tune. kuga is 181bhp while c-max is 150++ if i can remember.

to me, ecoboost, as the name implies, you get economy and boost power, but from what i read, usually only boost. Ecoboost engine are not that economical in fuel but please share your FC so far. I went to see the kuga when it was retailing at 127k.

Gd point. Did you also check the torque figures (240Nm for Kuga) even though the bhp figures may differ? For me the initial torque is more impt especially when moving off from a standstill.

FC being a turbo & not an electric hybrid plays a part. So far I've managed to clock around 9 - 10L for 100Km, based on 70% city / 30% highway (rough estimate) on Ron 95 which strangely feels more powerful than 98 (using SPC). I've still not went for my first service @ 10K, so perhaps FC may improve after that.

Just for sharing anyway, the main rationale for the swop from the S-Max to the Kuga was:

- I realise I didn't need to fully use 7 seats all the time

- Higher petrol duties are coming, hence the current rd tax rebates. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1