To rekindle the kampong spirits today... possible?

A_korusawa

during a recent cny dinner with the GRCs, this topic 'to rekindled teh kampong spirit' was raised . . .

one gentleman raised . . .

' how can? nowadays everything's pay & pay . . . can the gahmen lead by example onot?

wahhh, you can see the whole table went total silence until another raised a new topic , , ,

That's bloosy true.

When a group gathers to TCSS, what do we talk about? It's only either abt COE prices, bus fares, house prices, education fees, P1 registration...... It's all about $$$.

How to have kampong spirit?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Reported police ... they said they cant do anything even w cam recording . Shld i propose to fence up my floor area haha

U got cam recording? Can identify the culprit liao, then why mata cannot do anything? This is considered as theft?

• Praise 2

Reported police ... they said they cant do anything even w cam recording . Shld i propose to fence up my floor area haha

Can buy the floor area and gate up. But seriously such behavior should not be ccondoned.

Actually I would do all these for my neighbour except the parking warden and door key examples.

Maybe it's a misunderstanding.

Maybe the husband has been having queasy stomach and held his fart until your wife exited the lift.

But his family understood his situation and burst out laughing.

Fart off is not a common way to humiliate someone. In the interest of the kampung spirit, I would urge the benefit of the doubt in situations like these.

At that time, my wife actually turned back looking at the guy. He gave a sarcastic look to my wife. So my wife was sure that the remarks was meant for her.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to see what comes along. I will not sit back if he tried to push his luck again.

At that time, my wife actually turned back looking at the guy. He gave a sarcastic look to my wife. So my wife was sure that the remarks was meant for her.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to see what comes along. I will not sit back if he tried to push his luck again.

Just don't take do anything silly.

Usually people with bad attitude will eventually meet it's own dessert, they will always feel miserable about their life, and such attitude and values will be pass to their kids.

Cannot understand a father would say denigrating remarks to others in front of his kids.

Bad parenting.

• Praise 1

this is what bugging me for the last few months.

a family from the Philippine just move-in to our HDB block recently. a FT family with 2 school going kids, own a family car and is living

in an 4 rooms unit. my wife complaint to me that the husband humiliated her a the lift in front of his family while there were all

sharing the lift up together. what happened was, my wife was carrying our family dog in her arm, when the lift reaches our floor before

his, this guy says "fart off" behind my wife before my wife steps out from the lift, the my wife hears his whole family laughing behind.  [crazy]

my family and i have been a very nice family to all our neighbours here for the past 20 years. we greet and wave to all our neighbours

anytime when we meet. though i knew my wife is an all time anti-FT person, i don't know what could have happened between this FT

family with my wife prior to that lift incident that triggered the guy for taking that opportunity to humiliate my wife in front of his whole

family. 

there are 2 options running on my mind. one, talk to the guy, see what was the misunderstanding and fix the gap with a hand shake.

second, if i gone mad, i will storm to his unit, kick open his f**king door and make a FREE big show for the whole neighbourhood.

Singaporean should not be subjected to humiliate by a FT! [bounce1]  

anyway, as i said, i'm a nice guy who love peace.   

i'm still haven't make the first move. waiting for the right time. either the first or the second move.  :ninja:

he is here due to his job, i think instead you should try to find out where he works and talk or write to his company. no point a confrontation. 

• Praise 9

Possible to have kampong spirit still. But only if neighbours are around the same age group or situations in life.

I stay in a mature estate, and my neighbours are one or half generation older than me... not much in common to bond over.

Likewise a childless young couple staying next to families with school-going children... nothing in common too.

I am not convinced that we even know what kampung spirit is all about. How many of us had stayed in kampungs before. Let's be realistic and pragmatic here. Call a spade a spade. There are no more kampung in SG. Lets not call it kampung spirit. Maybe call it the SG spirit.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

well . . . .

will you or your neighbour do this?

- inform you if your car light is still on/ door not locked/ window down etc.

- inform you what events that happened to your house during yoru absence

- stop/reason with car park warden on your behalf for your car when you are not around

- open your door for their kids to come in instead of waiting

- request a ride/ offer a ride

- offer help even w/o asking

- pass door key to you for an errant etc.

these days, the above hardly happens . . .

I have experienced all of the above with the other 3 units on the same floor as me except for the parking warden one. Cuz we never park illegally. When i was small, always go my neighbor house if my parents come home late. Used to take my neighbor's car to school also if my father is busy.

I am not convinced that we even know what kampung spirit is all about. How many of us had stayed in kampungs before. Let's be realistic and pragmatic here. Call a spade a spade. There are no more kampung in SG. Lets not call it kampung spirit. Maybe call it the SG spirit.

How to bond with people who dunno our local way of life? Half of their life they stay in their own countries, then bec of economic or quality of life reasons then shift to SG.. U think they will know Ah seng, muthu, ahmad and nancy childhood games and the food we share growing up? 

Lets face it.. if not for the govt need to hv FT here to boost economic numbers and ensure their political perpetuity, i dun think the "kampung spirit / SG Spirit / Majulah Spirit " or watever brainwashing FT ads on TV now will ever surface.. in SG, now its u sink or swim yourself, u die ur biz.. thats the hard truth... wake up to this or keep on being dazed...

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 2

How to bond with people who dunno our local way of life? Half of their life they stay in their own countries, then bec of economic or quality of life reasons then shift to SG.. U think they will know Ah seng, muthu, ahmad and nancy childhood games and the food we share growing up?

Lets face it.. if not for the govt need to hv FT here to boost economic numbers and ensure their political perpetuity, i dun think the "kampung spirit / SG Spirit / Majulah Spirit " or watever brainwashing FT ads on TV now will ever surface.. in SG, now its u sink or swim yourself, u die ur biz.. thats the hard truth... wake up to this or keep on being dazed...

Sorry that's crap

And bordering on xenophobia. Sorry bro.. Can't agree with you!!!

Sorry that's crap

Crap all u want.. i say it as i see it..

you can continue sleeping, until u wake up one day as the minority... & u can continue to swallow the propaganda despite all the facts..

Look back past 30 yrs n see what changed the most..... 

Edited by Lurpsexx

Possible to have kampong spirit still. But only if neighbours are around the same age group or situations in life.

I stay in a mature estate, and my neighbours are one or half generation older than me... not much in common to bond over.

Likewise a childless young couple staying next to families with school-going children... nothing in common too.

Guess the best things we can do is to spend some time talking to them occasionally....keeping the communication open. I live in a mature estate too. I try to make an effort to make small talks with them and occasionally have lengthy talks. I do the same with shop/stall owners in my estate too.

Regarding FT neighbours. Those that I made friends with usually turns out to be rather ok. Most were very reserved in the beginning (I do not blame them cos few locals will try to start a friendship on equal term) but soon they will warm up and starts to talk more freely. It is thru such small talks that they often tries to understand our likes and dislikes & for me to understand them better.

• Praise 7

Bro. U need help..

Crap all u want.. i say it as i see it..

you can continue sleeping, until u wake up one day as the minority... & u can continue to swallow the propaganda despite all the facts..

Look back past 30 yrs n see what changed the most.....

Bro, u need help

Bro. U need help..

Bro, u need help

Ben ah ben... stop being a small bigot can?

If u wanna participate in a forum, pls be open to all views.. stop insisting ur views as the "correct" one can? All others also entitled to their own views, no matter how different they are from yours... if u cannot accept this, then i sincerely hope you dun join any forum, as you'll be crapping others too...

Btw, which year u came into Singapore?  [laugh]

No matter what u say la, history will prove which view will prevail 30 yrs down the road...

No matter what happens then, I do hope my country Singapore and my children's world will be better than what it is now... [thumbsup]

You can zap all my points to 0 i also dun care, not like it can be used to exchange for stuff at 7-11....  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Ben ah ben... stop being a small bigot can?

If u wanna participate in a forum, pls be open to all views.. stop insisting ur views as the "correct" one can? All others also entitled to their own views, no matter how different they are from yours... if u cannot accept this, then i sincerely hope you dun join any forum, as you'll be crapping others too...

Btw, which year u came into Singapore? [laugh]

No matter what u say la, history will prove which view will prevail 30 yrs down the road...

No matter what happens then, I do hope my country Singapore and my children's world will be better than what it is now... [thumbsup]

You can zap all my points to 0 i also dun care, not like it can be used to exchange for stuff at 7-11.... [laugh]

Get some help bro. You really need it

Twincharged

Why not? There are many FTs who are nice people. My son's class has 2 students from Philippines and their parents are nice people and they get along very well with the other parents. Even during my school days we had classmates from Australia and India. Their parents are one of the nicest people around. They do interact and are friendly towards Singaporeans and are able to bond quite well.

Guess the best things we can do is to spend some time talking to them occasionally....keeping the communication open. I live in a mature estate too. I try to make an effort to make small talks with them and occasionally have lengthy talks. I do the same with shop/stall owners in my estate too.

Regarding FT neighbours. Those that I made friends with usually turns out to be rather ok. Most were very reserved in the beginning (I do not blame them cos few locals will try to start a friendship on equal term) but soon they will warm up and starts to talk more freely. It is thru such small talks that they often tries to understand our likes and dislikes & for me to understand them better.

Yup, sometimes it is not that the FTs are unfriendly. Its more like they see that the Singaporeans seem so hostile to them that don't want to interact with us. They rather stick with their own country people.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4