To rekindle the kampong spirits today... possible?

A_korusawa

Possible to have kampong spirit still. But only if neighbours are around the same age group or situations in life.

I stay in a mature estate, and my neighbours are one or half generation older than me... not much in common to bond over.

Likewise a childless young couple staying next to families with school-going children... nothing in common too.

like i mentioned earlier, kampong does not form in a month or two, and whether in old rural area or hdb. It is the people who know and interact with each other.

Older estate where the residents are older and stayed for longer time but doesn't mean new estate cannot have that. In 20 years time the new estate will become old too. There might be some FT, if these FT stay longer they will sooner be part of the community.

I move into my estate 17 years ago and we were the young couple then with 1 kid and 1 on the way. The aunties and uncle welcome us. Now we are middle age and we see many children grow up among the residents cos many of them babysit their grandchildren, we share the children issue in school (compare result, share tips, etc), we see teenager become young adult and got married, we see old folks become sick and we occasionally meet at the wake at the void deck. we get free entertainment from the silver hair old couple stay below us singing karaoke on weekend although they sing the same songs and every week. we see young kids cycling/roller blade recklessly at void deck (seriously i think they are cute and not annoying).

But good to see and greet everyone you know day in day out when you walk around the block.

• Praise 3

tell you what.

ALL draws by Singapore pool, must have three ticket holders whereby they are Singapore designated cultural groups.

So winning ticket must be bought by say Ahmad, Ah Seng and Samy (but must be distinct, can be 3 diff race local and one FT) then can collect prize.

Want to huat , huat together.

No more solo buys.

I don't gamble so.

Create situations for curved joints (easements) where participation is entirely voluntary but fruitful.

This one sure favorite. COE discount.

I remember fighting spiders. The other boys races and ethnicities were not important at all. The joy and laughter were universal.

Fart Spider yo!

like i mentioned earlier, kampong does not form in a month or two, and whether in old rural area or hdb. It is the people who know and interact with each other.

Older estate where the residents are older and stayed for longer time but doesn't mean new estate cannot have that. In 20 years time the new estate will become old too. There might be some FT, if these FT stay longer they will sooner be part of the community.

I move into my estate 17 years ago and we were the young couple then with 1 kid and 1 on the way. The aunties and uncle welcome us. Now we are middle age and we see many children grow up among the residents cos many of them babysit their grandchildren, we share the children issue in school (compare result, share tips, etc), we see teenager become young adult and got married, we see old folks become sick and we occasionally meet at the wake at the void deck. we get free entertainment from the silver hair old couple stay below us singing karaoke on weekend although they sing the same songs and every week. we see young kids cycling/roller blade recklessly at void deck (seriously i think they are cute and not annoying).

But good to see and greet everyone you know day in day out when you walk around the block.

Where you stay? Bishan Izzit? Edited by Datsun366

Some mature estates where neighbours have lived there for 20-30 years may still have this, new estates all doors shut until tight tight de, doors are hardly open

Much also depends on type of neighbours, some super kpo de, most youngsters like privacy wont like to mix too

not true... surprisingly many EC have very close bonds among neighbours. I think maybe becos EC only eligible for Singaporeans and they are all stuck together in 1 compound using same facilities.. n only 1 or 2 exits so forces ppl to meet n greet n later on interact often. especially with common interests.. like meet in gym, swimming pool, bring kids for walks etc. n since its a secured area, more people have open doors policy.

not true... surprisingly many EC have very close bonds among neighbours. I think maybe becos EC only eligible for Singaporeans and they are all stuck together in 1 compound using same facilities.. n only 1 or 2 exits so forces ppl to meet n greet n later on interact often. especially with common interests.. like meet in gym, swimming pool, bring kids for walks etc. n since its a secured area, more people have open doors policy.

A lot of new projects have a strong facebook and whatsapp presence these days. 

The one I bought has a lot of "group buys" organised by some of the more enthu people.

ok, I share what real kampong is like.

I grew up in a kampong when I was a kid.

People knew who my dad was, knew who his dad was.

I was 6 years old, waiting for school bus to fetch me to the kindergarten. I was waiting in front my Grandfather's provision shop, which was 10 mins walk from my home.

But the bus didn't arrive, some customers who visited my grandpa provision shop, all asked me why so late still there? Probably the bus has left, told me to go home instead.

So I started walking after telling my grandpa, I was leaving.

But I wasn't going home, I walked to the kindergarten instead.

It was a 20-30mins walk. Along the way I saw a few neighbours I recognised. Upon reaching the kindergarten, I saw the gate was closed.

So I turned around and walked home, walking the same tarmac road, passing those few neighbours, reached my grandpa provision, but he was busy with customers & didn't notice me.

I continued walking until I reach home.

Then burst into tears, crying to my mom that the school was closed.

She said where I went for the 1.5 hour plus after she left me waiting for the bus? So I told her what happened.

My mom called the kindergarten the following day, was told it's a school holiday, which they tried to inform but no one answered the phone.

If I was not in a kampong environment, probably will not be typing now.

• Praise 2

That's nice, havent stayed in EC before to know

• Praise 2

I find that guys who hv served NS hv a greater awareness of kampung spirit. Its usually the women and the foreigners who tend to dilute the spirit.

Kampung spirit is really abt ownership and empowerment of our surroundings. Current laws have diluted our status. We can share what is ours, but can we share what is not ours?

I dont think we are allowed to shoot the village idiot anymore.

I find that guys who hv served NS hv a greater awareness of kampung spirit. Its usually the women and the foreigners who tend to dilute the spirit.

Kampung spirit is really abt ownership and empowerment of our surroundings. Current laws have diluted our status. We can share what is ours, but can we share what is not ours?

I dont think we are allowed to shoot the village idiot anymore.

actually women contribute to the kampong spirit more.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

tell you what.

ALL draws by Singapore pool, must have three ticket holders whereby they are Singapore designated cultural groups.

So winning ticket must be bought by say Ahmad, Ah Seng and Samy (but must be distinct, can be 3 diff race local and one FT) then can collect prize.

Want to huat , huat together.

No more solo buys.

I don't gamble so.

Create situations for curved joints (easements) where participation is entirely voluntary but fruitful.

This one sure favorite. COE discount.

I remember fighting spiders. The other boys races and ethnicities were not important at all. The joy and laughter were universal.

Fart Spider yo!

Where you stay? Bishan Izzit?

luckily i still understand your last sentence....

otherwise i would think i am going crazy

:D

actually women contribute to the kampong spirit more.

I agree women are more sociable.

But my view is that there is a lack of cultural vision. Ie, friendly but they dun seem to focus on a neighbourhood spirit.

A lot of societal issues these days are due to women centric kiasuism with kids, keeping up with the Jones etc..  

Supercharged

ok, I share what real kampong is like.

I grew up in a kampong when I was a kid.

People knew who my dad was, knew who his dad was.

I was 6 years old, waiting for school bus to fetch me to the kindergarten. I was waiting in front my Grandfather's provision shop, which was 10 mins walk from my home.

But the bus didn't arrive, some customers who visited my grandpa provision shop, all asked me why so late still there? Probably the bus has left, told me to go home instead.

So I started walking after telling my grandpa, I was leaving.

But I wasn't going home, I walked to the kindergarten instead.

It was a 20-30mins walk. Along the way I saw a few neighbours I recognised. Upon reaching the kindergarten, I saw the gate was closed.

So I turned around and walked home, walking the same tarmac road, passing those few neighbours, reached my grandpa provision, but he was busy with customers & didn't notice me.

I continued walking until I reach home.

Then burst into tears, crying to my mom that the school was closed.

She said where I went for the 1.5 hour plus after she left me waiting for the bus? So I told her what happened.

My mom called the kindergarten the following day, was told it's a school holiday, which they tried to inform but no one answered the phone.

If I was not in a kampong environment, probably will not be typing now.

Why cry? You should be happy can meet friends to pa go li liao ma!? Keke

Talking abt sharing, my mum has a very pot of pandan leaves, grew for many years, maybe 10 years or so, the leaves are those fat fat kind

During the last dong zhi, dont know which neighbor never buy pandan leaves and came to help him/herself to the leaves, cut every single leave away, never even leave a few leaves for the pandan to survive

He/she literally killed the plant...

Same thing happened to this Palm I planted beside my gates. It was a very slow growing type (same as those place above the doorway of some households) & it became botak every year when Good Friday approaches.

• Praise 2

After I bought the insane subwoofer, all my neighbours know me :grin:

Same thing happened to this Palm I planted beside my gates. It was a very slow growing type (same as those place above the doorway of some households) & it became botak every year when Good Friday approaches. ð¡

Just wonder.....how blessed can these people be; with stolen stuffs meant as holy symbols?

My aloe Vera grow like madness

but nobody wants them

After I bought the insane subwoofer, all my neighbours know me :grin:

My aloe Vera grow like madness

but nobody wants them

Too common liao.

• Praise 2

Too common liao. ð

If u want chicks magnet, plant mango tree. It would become a gathering spot for all the FDWs & their dogs. Ever had umbrellas & slippers flew over my garden wall when these people tried to harvest the mangoes. ðð

I love to jiak mango :grin:

But seriously, indon got one mango jin ho jiaks

I look forward to jiak every year

• Praise 1

I love to jiak mango :grin:

But seriously, indon got one mango jin ho jiaks

I look forward to jiak every year

Got one species of India mangoes also very sweet :grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3