1.6L new car or 2.0L used car?

Underpaidsamurai

Hi

I bought my first car, a 2000cc conti - 10 years ago.

In the blink of an eye, it's time to get a new car and I'm a bit clueless at this.

I've been thinking of getting a Japanese car this time round because of the better value retention and also I've been driving Japanese cars during business trips - very impressed.

Yesterday, I went to the Mazda, Nissan and Toyota showrooms. Seems like I can get a 1600cc car like an Altis, Maxda3 around 90-99k.

However, I also checked and a 2-3 year old Camry or Teana can also be gotten around the same price range.

I would like to ask for your opinion - what's the better buy?

↡ Advertisement

Buy new 1.6 or save up more for a new 2.0. Used prices are crazy.

+1. Since you can afford a 1.6, no point purchasing a pre owned 2.0.

I did what you are contemplating now, back in 2002:

I bought a second hand year 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 instead of a brand new Mazda 1.6, as I could not afford a brand new Mitsubishi 2.0.

I was ridiculed by my girlfriend then, who even asked if someone had died in the pre-owned car previously.

So I vowed to myself: no more pre-owned cars for me in this lifetime, even if Toyota Altis costs $300,000, if I can afford, then buy.

Cannot afford, take B.M.W. (Bus, MRT, Walk).

+1. Since you can afford a 1.6, no point purchasing a pre owned 2.0.

I did what you are contemplating now, back in 2002:

I bought a second hand year 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 instead of a brand new Mazda 1.6, as I could not afford a brand new Mitsubishi 2.0.

I was ridiculed by my girlfriend then, who even asked if someone had died in the pre-owned car previously.

So I vowed to myself: no more pre-owned cars for me in this lifetime, even if Toyota Altis costs $300,000, if I can afford, then buy.

Cannot afford, take B.M.W. (Bus, MRT, Walk).

Lucky it's your ex girlfriend. Ridicule you? Not wife material then.
  • Praise 6

Hi

In the blink of an eye, it's time to get a new car and I'm a bit clueless at this.

I've been thinking of getting a Japanese car this time round because of the better value retention and also I've been driving Japanese cars during business trips - very impressed.

Yesterday, I went to the Mazda, Nissan and Toyota showrooms. Seems like I can get a 1600cc car like an Altis, Maxda3 around 90-99k.

However, I also checked and a 2-3 year old Camry or Teana can also be gotten around the same price range.

for 1,600cc - between Altis and Mazda 3, I would recommend Mazda 3 (its actually 1,500cc).

for 2,000cc - between Camry and Teana, I would recommend Teana.

if your car is coming to 10 years, probably able to extract more value out of it from ADs as they can throw in overtrades.

if you want to buy used, have to be patient and look at sgcarmart every now and then, sometimes a good deal can come along, just have to do some leg work.

[:)]

• Praise 2

Hi

You seem like the sort to hold your cars to 10 yrs.

If so, just save up a bit more for a larger car that can meet your needs for the next 10yrs. No point halfway through your family size increased and you are forced to upsize.

• Praise 2

TS, do you need the extra space in the Camry or Teana? They are bigger than the Altis and Mz3. Performance-wise, they are quite similar because the 2L cars you mentioned are heavier and hence the extra weight blunt the acceleration of the 2L cars.

OT a bit, what do you mean by under-paid samurai? Are samurai paid by their masters in the first place? I'm really keen to know your rationale, TS [laugh]

• Praise 3

You bring up a very valid point. 

For non-itchy buttock people, buy a slightly better car and drive straight 10 years.

You seem like the sort to hold your cars to 10 yrs.

If so, just save up a bit more for a larger car that can meet your needs for the next 10yrs. No point halfway through your family size increased and you are forced to upsize.

• Praise 1

TS, its not about the price range you can get it, but the depreciation break down for each year is how much you actually lost.

Nowadays used cars depreciation higher and new cars, totally not worth it unless the car is no longer in production and you've really wanted it but doesnt seem like it for your case.

Therefore in your case if you drive it till 10years and scrap, strongly suggest you buy new.

She subsequently broke up with me via SMS.

Good riddance.

Is not because of the car choice right? Anyway, galant is good car [thumbsup]

Back then used car depreciation probably not higher than new cars, so I wouldn't say it's not a bad choice.

Edited by GLZT

She subsequently broke up with me via SMS.

Good riddance.

praise the lord....

breaking up via sms is the dumbest and the most disrespectful thing in this whole wide world.

• Praise 4

No brainer if you ask me. Since better value retention is one of your criteria, so new car should be the clear choice as it would likely result in lower depreciation and you save costs in up keeping it with free servicing at least for first few times and likelihood of less wear and tear item at least for first few years.

About the only plus I can see on getting a Used 2 litre is more power since you used to driving bigger cc car but space wise frankly, not much diff since new 1.6l cars are almost as spacious these days. Maybe you get more shoulder room on a 2 litre but then again if they have a huge transmission tunnel, you would be better off with a flat floor (or almost) 1.6 litre instead.

• Praise 6

TS, its not about the price range you can get it, but the depreciation break down for each year is how much you actually lost.

Nowadays used cars depreciation higher and new cars, totally not worth it unless the car is no longer in production and you've really wanted it but doesnt seem like it for your case.

Therefore in your case if you drive it till 10years and scrap, strongly suggest you buy new.

Is not because of the car choice right? Anyway, galant is good car [thumbsup]

Back then used car depreciation probably not higher than new cars, so I wouldn't say it's not a bad choice.

Yes, back in 2002, due to the relatively stable COE prices, used car prices offered some value.

praise the lord....

breaking up via sms is the dumbest and the most disrespectful thing in this whole wide world.

She did what she did, and I was heartbroken nonetheless.

Lucky it's your ex girlfriend. Ridicule you? Not wife material then.

As a friend commented:

我穷心未尽,色心又起。

I deserved to be ridiculed.

↡ Advertisement