Volvo XC90 Excellence

Michael2828

thank you for the very comprehensive feedback, tested both cars this afternoon but still can't make up my mind maybe better to hold till i do more research

Both are equally good 7-seater luxury SUVs and the ultimate decision lies with the buyer. The Q7 has the option of 3.0 TFSI which produces slightly more hp and torque than the XC90 T6 but for the fact that it is a 6 cylinder will definitely be smoother when revved (but higher road tax). The entry level engine considerations for both will be the 2.0 TFSI and T5. Then there is the equipment levels for both that you can choose from. After going through all these options that you think you'll want for our SUV and most importantly to do a test drive, you'll be in a good position to make that decision.

As mentioned in the Macan thread, I went with the XC90 RD eventually primarily because:

1) the T5 felt more a little more responsive than the 2.0 TFSI but equipment levels not what I'm looking for - thus T6 for me.

2) T6 provided me with almost similar power delivery with the 3.0 TFSI (although not as smooth) but at a lower road tax

3) I like the equipment levels for the T6 R-Design - bucket seats, 20" rims, pana roof etc

4) cargo space meets my requirement

5) I find a few standard features for the XC90 relatively more useful to my needs - e.g. Pilot Assist esp for city traffic/slow traffic along freeway; ACC

6) refreshing looks for both interior and exterior on the XC90

It was a tough decision but I must say that I have been enjoying the ride. Happy shopping!

Edited by ru2bz4me
↡ Advertisement

thank you for the very comprehensive feedback, tested both cars this afternoon but still can't make up my mind maybe better to hold till i do more research

Here's a comparison test from my favorite website.

Q7 wins the test here but personally I prefer (marginally) the feel of the XC90.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/470932/luxury-suv-comparison-audi-q7-v-bmw-x5-v-jaguar-f-pace-v-lexus-rx350-v-mercedes-benz-gle-v-porsche-cayenne-v-range-rover-sport-v-volvo-xc90/

thanks for sharing but not very relevant reference - not fair to compare with Porsche, Range Rover as they are in a different leauge

Here's a comparison test from my favorite website.

Q7 wins the test here but personally I prefer (marginally) the feel of the XC90.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/470932/luxury-suv-comparison-audi-q7-v-bmw-x5-v-jaguar-f-pace-v-lexus-rx350-v-mercedes-benz-gle-v-porsche-cayenne-v-range-rover-sport-v-volvo-xc90/

thanks for sharing but not very relevant reference - not fair to compare with Porsche, Range Rover as they are in a different leauge

Only in Singapore is the pricing difference (of the Range Rover/Cayenne) as stark. In many other countries, pricing is within 10-20% depending on options package (w Cayenne on the high end).

In any case, Q7 and XC90 won the comparison test. Think you cannot go wrong with either.

Volvo XC90 vs BMW X5 – Comparison

Volvo introduces its first SUV made under Chinese ownership: Volvo XC90. As always, we have put together photo comparison between two similar models, in this case, the Volvo XC90 versus BMW X5.

The new premium SUV aims to steal sales away from the BMW X5, Audi Q7 and Mercedes-Benz ML. Volvo XC90 is scheduled to debut at the 2014 Paris Motor Show in October.

With its completely revised design, the second-generation XC90 seems to have learned a lesson from the success of the BMW X5. The new design, while it remains unmistakably a Volvo, brings together proportions, elegance and sportiness in a single package.

The XC90 is arguably the first automobile in 15 years made entirely by Volvo, without the legacy of parts it inherited under Ford’s ownership from 1999 to 2010.

Looking at some of the differentiators that Volvo brings to the table we noticed that, unlike some of its competitors, the XC90 offers a third row suited for people other than children.

Volvo’s new interior design philosophy focuses around a fully integrated and WiFi-enabled touchscreen display system, similar to that found in the Tesla Model S. The interior now has just eight buttons, compared with an average of over 30 in other premiums SUVs. Simplicity and usability are key here.

By using stronger and lighter materials such as composite transverse rear leaf springs and hot-formed boron steel, the new Volvo XC90 is 280 lbs lighter than its predecessor.

The car also comes with impressive features, such as the “Safe Positioning” feature, part of the vehicle’s Intellisafe suite of technologies, aims to prevent severe injury or death in road-departure accidents. When the vehicle detects it’s leaving the road, the seat belts are tightened and remain tight while the vehicle is in motion.

The top-line Volvo XC90 T8 is powered by a twin-charged 2.0-liter I-4 paired with an electric motor, touts a combined torque rating of 443 lb-ft and around 400 horsepower.

The entry-level offering at launch will be the 316-horsepower T6, which is both turbocharged and supercharged.

Since looks are subjective, we invite you to take a look at the photo comparison embeded here and let us know in the comments below which one of the two premium SUVs you like best.

Invited to test drive the new Volvo XC90 T6 R Design for whole weekend (Fri-Sun). 

Could only say, its the only car so far that left tears in my eyes when I returned it on Sun night. 

Good stuff! How did you get yourself such an invite and for a R Design!

Invited to test drive the new Volvo XC90 T6 R Design for whole weekend (Fri-Sun).

Could only say, its the only car so far that left tears in my eyes when I returned it on Sun night.

Good stuff! How did you get yourself such an invite and for a R Design!

Ha, my wife is a family blogger. Make sense for them to invite us to use their 7-seater MPV in exchange for some publicity. 

P* done.

Having been on stock for awhile, I can definitely feel the difference with the optimization. Comfort drive mode suddenly becomes so much more enjoyable - sportier drive, better throttle response and gearshift precision. It is a rojak of Dynamic mode mixed with the Comfort mode so that the drive is not too harsh/jerky but the power is quick to come if required.

For the price paid, there could be more aggressive 3rd party tune but IMO this optimization is sufficient for a SUV and more importantly, the peace of mind on the warranty [thumbsup] .

IMG_8689_zpsiec8qfsb.jpg

• Praise 2