Bird (Parrot) Lovers, fall in!

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

FALL IN!

I have a Sun Conure and soon to be owner of a blue baby Indian Ringneck. 

If you have experiences, tips with hand-feeding a three to four weeks old baby bird ( Indian Ringneck), please share.

If you are a current bird owner of any breed (especially parrots), please do share your bird pictures too!

↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator

Maybe can buy fruit puree and feed the baby bird with a 20ml stringe(w/o the needle of course).

The baby is currently on ZuPreem Hand-Feeding Formula so I'm hoping to continue from there as I understand changing of formula halfway may cause an upset to the diet.

post-107101-0-43595900-1458098022_thumb.jpg

Where do you find fruit puree anyway?

As for the tool used to feed, anyone knows where to buy a bent spoon? 

post-107101-0-32294500-1458097898_thumb.jpg

I used to have bird pets when young. Had so much fun with them.

Had kissing birds before. Dunno what's the technical name.

3592595509_0e2b63bce6.jpg

Very smart birds. Know how to break out of the cage. Many escaped. Some stayed but in let end let them go.

My fav is the Peking Robin. They chirp and sing  wonderfully.

8836181-md.jpg

The baby is currently on ZuPreem Hand-Feeding Formula so I'm hoping to continue from there as I understand changing of formula halfway may cause an upset to the diet.

attachicon.gifzupreem.jpg

Where do you find fruit puree anyway?

As for the tool used to feed, anyone knows where to buy a bent spoon? 

attachicon.giffeeding10.jpg

DIY fruit puree, eg. mash up fruits like papaya, add abit of water to the mix and feed. Or buy those baby(human) fruit puree from supermarkets.

Bent spoon can DIY. Just need to heat up the spoon and bent it using a pair of pliers and screw driver. Heat up the spoon(using your stove maybe), after it has turn soft use the pair of pliers and wrap the tip of the spoon around the round stem of the screw driver. IMO a stringe is easier.

Edited by Watwheels

Use Syringe, can control the quantity easily. Spoon a bit slow, imagine when they are hungry, keep biting the metal.

Just remember to sterilize everything before use.

I have 1 green ringneck and 2 Alexandrine, raised from baby. Super loud. But at least I don't find my wife nagging an issue now.

Always liked birds, but my busy lifestyle and frequent travelling means I can't keep any now.

Had a Moluccan cockatoo nearly 20 years back. Very tame, talkative and friendly but noisy and demanding bird. Had to give her away to a friend when I moved to Hong Kong. I'm sure I have a photo of it somewhere, but probably in some photo album which I have to find. No digital cameras in those days.

For hand-feeding baby parrots, stick with the formula if they are used to it. Prepare small batches at a time, discard any uneaten food and clean everything thoroughly as bacteria grows very fast and they are susceptible to infections at a young age.

Before taking over the baby bird, best to get the current owner to demonstrate how to feed it.

You can also check out this link: https://theparrotuniversity.com/arthandfeeding2

I'm sure 90% of members here have a pet bird that they stroke so lovingly from time to time.

But the pet bird got sick from the stroking and threw up every time.

My ex birds. Now all to good owners due to my work schedule. Used to sun and free fly them at Woodlands (near christchurch sec and ave 12). Infact I'm the first one to be there then slowly another guy with a green wing macaw joined me.

Nowadays, that place is machiam a picnic location every weekend.

post-82181-0-80016800-1458121120_thumb.jpeg

post-82181-0-94262300-1458121149_thumb.jpeg

post-82181-0-07162500-1458121197_thumb.jpeg

post-82181-0-52220900-1458121412_thumb.jpeg

I'm sure 90% of members here have a pet bird that they stroke so lovingly from time to time.

But the pet bird got sick from the stroking and threw up every time.

That species is blue bird?