Concert for Kids Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music

Boringchap

Attended a free concert at the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, at the National University of Singapore recently.  They call this event, "Let's make a musical friend". 

post-67319-0-55554100-1458125730_thumb.jpg

This conservatory is the first in Singapore to offer full time studies, leading up to Bachelors or Masters of music degrees.  It is located next to the Lee Kong Chian history museum (where they are exhibiting the sperm whale).  The conservatory has a very cool building. From the inside, it looks like this. 

post-67319-0-14570300-1458125853_thumb.jpg

The first part of the event was held in the conservatory concert hall.  A beautiful hall!

post-67319-0-93855600-1458125906_thumb.jpg

The whole idea of this event is not some high-brow classical music concert that would certainly put the kids to sleep.  Rather, it was designed as a fun event, to showcase the classical instruments of an orchestra to the families and kids.  For a start, here was the introduction to the woodwinds.  Which instruments are these?  Flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon. 

The instrumentalists on stage.  All studying at the Yong Siew Toh. 

post-67319-0-81903500-1458126052_thumb.jpg

Next, introduction to the instruments of the marching band - BRASS!  Loved the surprise surround sound and the way the students marched in.  Just 5 instruments and the sound was gorgeous. 

Next, strings.  I think all of us are familiar with the violin.  But there is also the viola, cello and later on the double bass.

In this picture, there were all holding up their bows.  The emcee was comparing their bows to lightsabers.  

post-67319-0-18901100-1458126240_thumb.jpg

After the strings, came the percussion.  Too many instruments to name, so the emcee didn't name them.  The performance was pretty good.

And finally, the entire orchestra came out on stage to perform, the theme from Harry Potter!  Very nicely done.  The acoustics in the concert hall were fantastic and the kids were rather well behaved!  

After the concert, we could attend what they call sectionals, or information sessions for the various instrument groups.  We decided to check out the woodwinds.  Here is one student playing a short phrase from Swan Lake, on the oboe. 

Overall, it was a wonderful afternoon spent.  Kids had plenty of fun.  They hold this event once a year, at about this time of the year (usually March holiday weekends).  So go catch it if you are interested to expose your kids to classical music.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Thanks for the insights.

I see no one has posted anything here so I first.

Was in the school's brass band but never really learned anything. [laugh] They put me to learn the cornet, smaller version of trumpet. I simply cant get the correct note, lungs not that good. Then switched to saxaphone, Kenny G was the rage then. Same thing, I just simply cant blow the correct note. Then switched to drums. This one worst, I bo rhythm one. Sometimes fast and sometimes slow. In the end, made me just play the triangle. That also I fail cos I cant read the music score and dont know when to play it. [laugh]

After three agonising years, they finally gave up on me. No more CCA for me. [bounce2]  Play soccer all day and night. [grin]