Need Repair on removing scratches

Sosaria

I am sure most of us have gone through the same thing before, when you get a *new car (new or used car, but you just bought it)

1st week, everyday wash the car, inspect for any flaws in the paint work, after that drops to 3 times a week, 2 times a week, once a week, etc.. ha ha

My question is, can you accept scratches, dings from people opening the door, stone chips from driving etc on your new car? Knowing that if you go and respray/touch up etc, shortly sure kenna again

at what point do you give up and just live with the flaws in the paintwork?

for me personally I cannot stand flaws like that in the 1st 2-3 months of owning a new car, after that become more accepting, and by the time reach 1 yr plus, don't really care too much anymore as long as not too jialat

what about you guys? are you still as fussy about your new car paintwork as time goes by? what was the timeframe/turning point?

First few weeks after collecting the new car or after fresh respray or coating of new paintwork, usually the car owner will feel heartpain with stone chips, scratches and dents etc.

After some time, the car owner will get used to it.

If you are particularly concerned about the paintwork and overall outlook of the car, then you might wish to consider sending it to grooming service and/or dent removal session on a regular basis. Then every 5 years, go for a respraying of paintwork of the whole car.

Other thing to note is to choose the parking lot and consider how the neighbouring cars to your left and right are parked. If they are too near to you, there is a high probability of receiving some dents/scratches on your doors.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

my windscreen, bonnet, headlight, front bumper, fog light, front grill and wing mirrors full of stone chips (big and small) after first month owning it. all due to trips to the north. never think of repair it as more trips to come. ha.....

my agent is going to respray my front and rear bumper due to dis-coloration which is still under warranty.

Neutral Newbie

aiya your solution so simple ! actually you already gave yourself the answer. Just mentally tune your mind to D+1year where D is the date of purchase of your car :D

• Praise 1

(edited)

I think your counting should be from 1st car...2nd car....3rd car....4th car....and onward.....the more car you own...they less heart pain you will feel....i used to be a owner that cannot tahan a little imperfection of my car...a little paint imperfection, I will get it respray......but now, this is my 7th cars ownership. Last week, I had just scratched my bumper against the kerb of the MSCP.....I was like...''ok...i will take some wax to wax of the wall paint''......surprisingly, I don't feel so heart pain liao.....just my feeling...not trying to boost how many cars I owned....

Edited by LoverofCar

what about you guys? are you still as fussy about your new car paintwork as time goes by? what was the timeframe/turning point?

Yeah i can relate to your thread. Its the worst when its your 1st car. It does not matter if its a jap car....1st car is special...like your 1st love and i treated it like it was a Lambo or Ferrari. But thankfully it wears off by the time you hit your 3rd or 4th car.

Dont get me wrong, i still love my latest new ride but i also learn from past mistakes. For example if i was driving a coupe i try to avoid public car parks with lots of lorries. Dont ever park near one. also i try to park next to a wall....try to avoid parking between 2 cars if possible.

And i also look at the places where my car will spend the most time in....in this case my home and my office...if these are decent sheltered lots with security cameras....i sleep a little better.

But of cause all of the above are no guarantees and the inevitable will happen. so when it does, unless the dent or scratch is very bad i try to "accumulate the dents" then i send it to Ubi for dent or dink removal. They charge $40 for the 1st dent and $10 every subsequent dent removed.

Also i learnt to go easy on the washing and waxing. Too much of it is actually bad for the paint job. My friend owned a M3 jet black and after 2 years i asked him how often he washes and waxes. He told me he washese himself once a week WITH PLAIN WATER. and he sends for polishing only oce a year. If your car is saphire sparkling black DONT EVER SEND TO PUBLIC CAR WASH, there will be scratches.

I was very surprised because after 2.5 years his car looked brand new.....he told me 3 basic rules to maintain car shine;

a) Avoid the sun and rain.

b) Avoid parking under a tree...bird s--t and tree sap.

c) Wash with plenty of plain water.....gently wash with a soft WHITE cloth in circular motion. Keep changing water till u see water and WHITE cloth are clean.

Do not use carshampoos and do not polish or wax.....these chemical products cannot distinguish between oil stains and paint work and they work by stripping the car of its outer coat.

You will save a fortune if you wash yourself without the shampoo and polishes....infact after 4 years....you may have accumulated enough savings to give your car qa completely new paint job....:)

• Praise 1

Yeah i can relate to your thread. Its the worst when its your 1st car. It does not matter if its a jap car....1st car is special...like your 1st love and i treated it like it was a Lambo or Ferrari. But thankfully it wears off by the time you hit your 3rd or 4th car.

Dont get me wrong, i still love my latest new ride but i also learn from past mistakes. For example if i was driving a coupe i try to avoid public car parks with lots of lorries. Dont ever park near one. also i try to park next to a wall....try to avoid parking between 2 cars if possible.

And i also look at the places where my car will spend the most time in....in this case my home and my office...if these are decent sheltered lots with security cameras....i sleep a little better.

But of cause all of the above are no guarantees and the inevitable will happen. so when it does, unless the dent or scratch is very bad i try to "accumulate the dents" then i send it to Ubi for dent or dink removal. They charge $40 for the 1st dent and $10 every subsequent dent removed.

Also i learnt to go easy on the washing and waxing. Too much of it is actually bad for the paint job. My friend owned a M3 jet black and after 2 years i asked him how often he washes and waxes. He told me he washese himself once a week WITH PLAIN WATER. and he sends for polishing only oce a year. If your car is saphire sparkling black DONT EVER SEND TO PUBLIC CAR WASH, there will be scratches.

I was very surprised because after 2.5 years his car looked brand new.....he told me 3 basic rules to maintain car shine;

a) Avoid the sun and rain.

b) Avoid parking under a tree...bird s--t and tree sap.

c) Wash with plenty of plain water.....gently wash with a soft WHITE cloth in circular motion. Keep changing water till u see water and WHITE cloth are clean.

Do not use carshampoos and do not polish or wax.....these chemical products cannot distinguish between oil stains and paint work and they work by stripping the car of its outer coat.

You will save a fortune if you wash yourself without the shampoo and polishes....infact after 4 years....you may have accumulated enough savings to give your car qa completely new paint job....:)

Lol...... avoid sun and rain? So your friend never drives in the day or when its raining?

• Praise 1

Used to give my princess "spa" treatments, very diligent with car washing it was like twice a week.

Then cut down to once a week . . . . once a fortnight . . . . . monthly . . . . now after 3 years, give up liao. Send go car wash every month.

No stamina really [:(]

by the way the best not get a scratch is to wrap your car and dont drive at all :D * kidding*

its a norm thing to have dent and straches if u are washing ( friction ) or driving ( stones and etc )..

just apply some good wax can cover it so u will save on spraying

• Praise 1

i wash my truck 1 time a week for the past few years. starting new vehicle sure will heartpain about the dent cause by other strongarms opening the door. but used to it. when my truck jus came out 2nd day i went to offroad and got lots of deep scratches caused by the tree branch and paint chip by flying pebbles. LOL! but to keep it presentable i send it for a cheap wax and polish at $50 every half a year! [cool]

same here bro!

i come to a point, i started using off the sheft spray paints to spray paint my truck [pirate][sunny]

if you think about it, it is like your handphone. are you the kind that will buy screen protector, leather casing (that protects front & back of handphone), silicon casing, etc? Or are you the kind that doesn't do much cos 1) dun spoil the design of the handphone by adding this & that, 2) accept the daily wear/tear [remember levis advertisement? stains from ice-cream, etc are part of life]

car shouldn't be too different from handphone. of cos, 1 is more expensive, but we're talking about principles here, and principles transcend money.

i haven't reach the xen state of #2 yet, but i'm more than half way there.

• Praise 1

same here bro!

i come to a point, i started using off the sheft spray paints to spray paint my truck [pirate][sunny]

wah bro, seems like you more hardcore than me! hahahaha [cool]

The car is my life. [laugh] will sent for grooming every other month. any scratchs not removed by grooming will be respray!

then i think your car will be easily targetted because the paintwork is too shiny.

then i think your car will be easily targetted because the paintwork is too shiny.

Most time were all those inconsiderate people whose car parked so near mine and open their door so wide!! [furious] Now i avoid parking next to lorries, pickup or cars that looks not not wash for years unless the lot is very wide. I prefer to park next to nicely well groom car/van irregardless of make. [sly]

The rest is mine/wife wedding band that scratches the door. Most times these sratches are removable.

• Praise 1

1st yr, wash car at least 2x / wk, sent for Sys 6 waxing 1yr/ 2times, then kenna scratch deep deep, very heart pain & sad..

after 3rd yr till 5th yrs now,.. no feeling liao, small scratch & dent...dont bother..

the very last time wash car at patrol kiosk, was 3mths bk, b4 CNY..

now dont wash car, let the SKY Water wash for me...lazy & bo chap

• Praise 1

cant be bothered after i bua against wall. juz touch up only lol.. anyways parking still will try to part left side against wall so right side has more space. Plus usually car park no passengers only driver to right side is safe from opening doors..

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

hello there everyone.

i know this might not be an appropriate response to the thread but im new to this forum and need advise from seasoned drivers in this forum. since as a new forum member im not allowed to start a new topic (until 25 posts later), i thot i should "hijack" a thread. much apologies for this but i hope yall will understand my predicament. heres what happened:

my ride recently sustained deep scrapes and scratches. i do not know who is the culprit and can't care much already. but i would like to have a gauge on how much is the damage to my pocket if i were to knock it back to shape and have it re-sprayed.

can someone give his 2 cents? thanks.

later,

gNoel

post-72498-1279722244_thumb.jpg

post-72498-1279722257_thumb.jpg

post-72498-1279722275_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1