Electric car vs Petrol/Diesel cars

Would you buy a pure electric car like a Tesla S should there be....

1) Ample charging stations in multi storey carparks or commonly available?

2) Companies such as Tesla set up their base here?

Will that change the landscape of cars in SG should there be no tax on electric vehicles as of now?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I probably would if the factors added up to make them sensible. Electric cars' instant torque is more suited to our constant stop-and-go.

I probably would if the factors added up to make them sensible. Electric cars' instant torque is more suited to our constant stop-and-go.

Seems more suited to SG.

I don't understand why its not feasible. Cannot be due to our petrol being taxed that's why electric is not the way to go?

Emission high or low let the users decide ma. Fair game.

Turbocharged

A plausible issue I can think of is that installing charging infrastructure for every parking lot would be tricky. The range of electric cars is probably only just about enough for one end of Singapore to the other, back and forth.

Say about 80 miles, that's about 128km, on optimistic ratings. Add in traffic jams, overtaking manuevers, random hazard avoidance, say you cover 30km each way everyday, most electric cars should be able to tahan a day's worth of driving.

But then, when you come home, likely must charge your car if you intend to use it the next day without fear of running out.

If entire residence all using electric cars, it means every parking lot must have a charger. And unlike refueling liquid gasoline/diesel, electric charging takes much longer, probably at least an hour, even with "supercharging" technology.

And if everyone is charging their cars at the same time, this is still a lot of kilowatts being consumed off the grid. A lot of load placed on the grid.

But combined with alternative technologies such as solar panels in our crazy hot weather, maybe more sustainable than fossil fuels.

But I have a feeling that the contractors or govt. just aren't willing to invest heavily in the necessary infrastructure to make electric-only vehicles viable for the masses.

Otherwise, if we go mass-market electric without the appropriate quantity of chargers then there will be the same issue as seen in other countries where there will be a lot of people fighting for their time on the charger.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 2

Maybe once they thought of a feasible way to claw back the monies from the infrastructure cost perhaps it'll be possible?

I thought the Tesla S is rated at 300km per charge? (from rev motoring youtube vid interview). If so then definitely not one day of driving ba.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Maybe once they thought of a feasible way to claw back the monies from the infrastructure cost perhaps it'll be possible?

I thought the Tesla S is rated at 300km per charge? (from rev motoring youtube vid interview). If so then definitely not one day of driving ba.

The Model S is hardly a mass market electric car at the moment, and its batteries are especially enormous. Yes, there were a lot of 'em made, but it's still in the ultra premium class of electrics. Plus, the 300km figure you suggest is without any real pushing.

I nicked the 80 mile figure from the typical range of most smaller family electrics such as the Ford Focus Electric (actually only 68 miles) and Volkswagen's eGolf (83 miles).

I imagine a potential way to claw back the cost is to charge a levy on the kilowatts consumed by the car charging, similar to the existing liquid fuel tax. How to charge this fee? Maybe use a CEPAS card, car IU or NFC or similar stuff to access the charging points. I would suggest this levy only be for a certain period to fund the actual setup cost... after that they shouldn't charge for it unnecessarily, because electric vehicles are supposed to be cleaner.

Of course... as a car person I rather they fund the infrastructure and don't force us to pay for it indirectly... [sweatdrop]

The Model S is hardly a mass market electric car at the moment, and its batteries are especially enormous. Yes, there were a lot of 'em made, but it's still in the ultra premium class of electrics. Plus, the 300km figure you suggest is without any real pushing.

I nicked the 80 mile figure from the typical range of most smaller family electrics such as the Ford Focus Electric (actually only 68 miles) and Volkswagen's eGolf (83 miles).

I imagine a potential way to claw back the cost is to charge a levy on the kilowatts consumed by the car charging, similar to the existing liquid fuel tax. How to charge this fee? Maybe use a CEPAS card, car IU or NFC or similar stuff to access the charging points. I would suggest this levy only be for a certain period to fund the actual setup cost... after that they shouldn't charge for it unnecessarily, because electric vehicles are supposed to be cleaner.

Of course... as a car person I rather they fund the infrastructure and don't force us to pay for it indirectly... [sweatdrop]

Well, surely one would pay for a Tesla S even if its higher in cost but could maintain a 300km range, provided the infra is there. Just imagine how many would skip to a high end electric just to save on fuel cost and minimal maintenance required (that youtube vid got say its easily maintained, as claimed by the user)

Supercharged

Well, surely one would pay for a Tesla S even if its higher in cost but could maintain a 300km range, provided the infra is there. Just imagine how many would skip to a high end electric just to save on fuel cost and minimal maintenance required (that youtube vid got say its easily maintained, as claimed by the user)

I think the charging time is always an issue, for petrol car just pop by and refueled in 5mins but for electric car like the Tesla S charging with their supercharger at the rate of 300 miles per hour, however at those public charging stations it can only recharge it at the rate of 22 miles per hour and without factoring more time needed to charge the degraded batteries after long use.

• Praise 1

I think the charging time is always an issue, for petrol car just pop by and refueled in 5mins but for electric car like the Tesla S charging with their supercharger at the rate of 300 miles per hour, however at those public charging stations it can only recharge it at the rate of 22 miles per hour and without factoring more time needed to charge the degraded batteries after long use.

If sleeping is ok ma, can charge overnight.

Would you buy a pure electric car like a Tesla S should there be....

1) Ample charging stations in multi storey carparks or commonly available?

2) Companies such as Tesla set up their base here?

Will that change the landscape of cars in SG should there be no tax on electric vehicles as of now?

I would if number 1 is fulfilled.

I have confidence that battery technology will develop further to give us longer range plus quicker charging. Tesla already showed us that 300km on a single charge is possible. In time to come there could be quick wireless charging that could give you full charge in about the same time as it takes to refuel a normal car.

Probably when that day comes we don't really need charging points at carparks etc (although that would be good). Rather just put charging points at existing petrol stations, so just go in and recharge just like normal.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Reviving the thread after reading this.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/transport/welcoming-electric-cars-journalist-renews-coe-only-5-years

How long if electric cars takes off en mass... I think whether it can be applied to thr masses is itself a question, no need talk about 5 years. It reminds me of the smart watch, maybe a fun gadget rather than a functional utility item.

Edited by Rachdanom
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Thats killing the goose/golden eggs, aka robbing the reserves.
  • Praise 2

Reviving the thread after reading this.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/transport/welcoming-electric-cars-journalist-renews-coe-only-5-years

How long if electric cars takes off en mass... I think whether it can be applied to thr masses is itself a question, no need talk about 5 years. It reminds me of the smart watch, maybe a fun gadget rather than a functional utility item.

I will not happens even in 5 years.  There is a vested interest to protect Bukom & Jurong island.

What i have seen on video, the best solution is still Tesla with its supercharger network.

Ppl can drive from Sydney to Melbourne le.  That's 1000+ km in 12 hrs (i think)

It's not worth it in SG. Nissan Leaf costs $4 for 160km? If petrol, maybe 13L which costs $24(easy calculation). So every 160km you save $20, travel 16000km/year means you save 2k/year which is really pathetic compared to the increased cost of the car.

• Praise 1

It's not worth it in SG. Nissan Leaf costs $4 for 160km? If petrol, maybe 13L which costs $24(easy calculation). So every 160km you save $20, travel 16000km/year means you save 2k/year which is really pathetic compared to the increased cost of the car.

How much is Nissan Leaf?

↡ Advertisement