2nd hand tyre vs 1st hand tyre

Michael2828

Supercharged

for me, it actually depends on the age of the car.

like my previous ride, my tyres were bald and i only have 3 months left on the car.

using new 1st hand tires would be a waste given that i will not even be able to break them in before i scrap the car.

otherwise, it is always 1st hand. safety first.

• Praise 1

for me, it actually depends on the age of the car.

like my previous ride, my tyres were bald and i only have 3 months left on the car.

using new 1st hand tires would be a waste given that i will not even be able to break them in before i scrap the car.

otherwise, it is always 1st hand. safety first.

We never know what had happened with the 2nd hand tyres previously. I won't take the risk. Tyres can easily be bought and replaced but I only have one life.
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

We never know what had happened with the 2nd hand tyres previously. I won't take the risk. Tyres can easily be bought and replaced but I only have one life.

i know. but like i said, given only 3 months left on the car, buying brand new tires are a waste. unless you can be damn sure your next car uses the same rim and tyre size.

And for my kinda usage, the second hand tires are better than a set of bald ones, to tide over till the new ride arrives.

• Praise 2

i know. but like i said, given only 3 months left on the car, buying brand new tires are a waste. unless you can be damn sure your next car uses the same rim and tyre size.

And for my kinda usage, the second hand tires are better than a set of bald ones, to tide over till the new ride arrives.

I will buy new one lor. Bo Bian.

If you even need to save on the tyres, perhaps it's better for you not to drive.

and with these tyres, dun implicate others on the road.  You see lots of cars that stinge on tyres and as a result get into an accident and cause OTHER innocent road users as collateral damage.

Best option is get yor trusted tyre workshop as sometimes ppl trade in their NEW tyres to upsize tyres on their rides.  

That would be a safer bet

I will buy new one lor. Bo Bian.

2 things you NEVER compromise:

1.  Tyres

2.  Brakes

• Praise 7

Insist on brand new tyres. whether you are driving your car for only 3 months or less. Safety is much more important than anything else. If you are going to scrap your car soon, can buy slightly cheaper new tyres, if you find wasted.

• Praise 1

and with these tyres, dun implicate others on the road. You see lots of cars that stinge on tyres and as a result get into an accident and cause OTHER innocent road users as collateral damage.

Best option is get yor trusted tyre workshop as sometimes ppl trade in their NEW tyres to upsize tyres on their rides.

That would be a safer bet

2 things you NEVER compromise:

1. Tyres

2. Brakes

Sometimes I see those people driving luxury makes but when they brake, wah piano u can hear the metal grinding into the discs rotors liao. Why scrimp on brake pads sia.

For me, back then Toyota Vios and now Hyundai accent. Both 14 inch tyres.. Not expensive lah.

Can get Bridgestone Yokohama for less than $400 4 tyres. Made in Japan / Thailand. Now accent is Kumho, even cheaper, around $300 for 4 tyres, made in Korea. I change around 2.5 years, with an annual mileage of 15k. So in 2.5 years, around 37.5k. Still okay.

Edited by Ivan_06

Brand new tyres r good of course but still take a look at year of production...

Certain take off tyres aloso worth...some pple just drive car out of showroom straight away upgrade to bigger rims n tyres...this kind of take off tyres also can b a good buy....

Use to hear some tyres shops cut the thread of the old tyres making it look good...but these r really irresponsible tyre shops...

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Brand new tyres r good of course but still take a look at year of production...

Certain take off tyres aloso worth...some pple just drive car out of showroom straight away upgrade to bigger rims n tyres...this kind of take off tyres also can b a good buy....

Use to hear some tyres shops cut the thread of the old tyres making it look good...but these r really irresponsible tyre shops...

oh... so that is the term to use. Take-off tyres.

Hi guys and gals,

Do you all prefer to change to a 2nd hand or insist on 1st hand?

Regards,

Michael2828

if 2nd hand tread depth ok and mfg date less 2 years, why not?

• Praise 1

agree that. its up to individual lah. some ppl very rich. [:p]  [:p]  [:p]  

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

2nd hand tyres got different types. if die2 have to, get almost new tyres as mentioned above, by tyre upgraders (from showroom straight to workshop), not reconditioned tyres.

but must know workshops well or they'll sell it to you at new tyre prices. [knife]

• Praise 1

If you even need to save on the tyres, perhaps it's better for you not to drive.

Correct, even for car...I only buy 1st hand...don't trust 2nd hand car....you never know what the previous owner do to the car...there are so many part of the car  which can be mod/meddle with, as compare to just the 4x tyres.

If you cannot afford new car...you also better don't drive.... [smash] hahaha...

Edited by Imac
  • Praise 3

Sometimes I see those people driving luxury makes but when they brake, wah piano u can hear the metal grinding into the discs rotors liao. Why scrimp on brake pads sia.

For me, back then Toyota Vios and now Hyundai accent. Both 14 inch tyres.. Not expensive lah.

Can get Bridgestone Yokohama for less than $400 4 tyres. Made in Japan / Thailand. Now accent is Kumho, even cheaper, around $300 for 4 tyres, made in Korea. I change around 2.5 years, with an annual mileage of 15k. So in 2.5 years, around 37.5k. Still okay.

Actually thats normal got metal brake sound if car just got started. Sometimes the type of rims and depend on size too. Mine on 20 inch and every morning got braking metal sound. After drive awhile it will be gone.

Ask the workshop brake pad can last for another 2 servicing. Check in idrive system, brake pad can last another 19k km

Actually, the folks at Stamford Tire advised me that with our local weather condition, it is better to change the tyre every 2 years for normal driving.

For me, regardless of heavy or light usage...i change my 4 tyres every year just during my pre-CNY servicing. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement