Direct Injection Engine - Intake Valve Cleaning

Lotr

Hi car owners with direct injection engine (GDI/Gasoline Direct Injection), would like to understand more about cleaning of carbon deposits on the intake valves.  

Anyone has experience to share about such cleaning service - chemical or mechanical - is available locally? Or has anyone tried to diy?

More info on the need for cleaning can be found here: 

http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake_valve_deposits_gdi_engines.htm

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Hi car owners with direct injection engine (GDI/Gasoline Direct Injection), would like to understand more about cleaning of carbon deposits on the intake valves.  

Anyone has experience to share about such cleaning service - chemical or mechanical - is available locally? Or has anyone tried to diy?

Applicable if your car only uses direct injection into combustion chamber.

Many models (Toyota/Lexus D4-S & newer VW engines) use both intake port and direct injection, so won't have this problems.

Some kena worse than others, for example the Audi S4/S5 engines.

I hear the only way to truly solve is to do engine overhaul. They will strip out the cylinder heads and clean out the carbon deposits manually before re-assemblying.

Edited by t0y0ta
  • Praise 1

No way to clean the carbon, only solution is do not buy GDI car in future, because it's technology not mature yet Edited by Quantum

Twincharged

Can be cleaned via carb or fuel injection cleaners when you open up the intake manifold. The mechanic will turn the crankshaft to make sure the valves are closed and then spray cleaner into the valves and agitate to remove the carbon. He will then used compressed air to blow it out with a cloth to absorb. Had my DI engine cleaned this way and could see the valves were clean now.

(edited)

Can be cleaned via carb or fuel injection cleaners when you open up the intake manifold. The mechanic will turn the crankshaft to make sure the valves are closed and then spray cleaner into the valves and agitate to remove the carbon. He will then used compressed air to blow it out with a cloth to absorb. Had my DI engine cleaned this way and could see the valves were clean now.

sounds like big job, mind sharing the contact and estimated time needed for the job?  also, any particular issue that called for the cleaning to be done?  thanks

My mileage is about 80k km now and engine is sometimes feels sluggish.  Wonder if intake valves could be the problem.

Edited by Lotr

Twincharged

sounds like big job, mind sharing the contact and estimated time needed for the job? thanks

Chin auto. $200 for toyota markx. About 1.5-2hour job. Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

Applicable if your car only uses direct injection into combustion chamber.

Many models (Toyota/Lexus D4-S & newer VW engines) use both intake port and direct injection, so won't have this problems.

Some kena worse than others, for example the Audi S4/S5 engines.

I hear the only way to truly solve is to do engine overhaul. They will strip out the cylinder heads and clean out the carbon deposits manually before re-assemblying.

i saw many audi n vw rides exhaust finishers coated with quite thick carbon. any relation?

No way to clean the carbon, only solution is do not buy GDI car in future, because it's technology not mature yet

That is why there is this thing called oil catch can.

city driving creates lotsa carbon in the engine system.  My hiadee says every month he go pump caltex once n he say hor(not I say hor) it seems to clean the carbon bcos his car become smooth smooth like KY Gel after using caltex.  Dunno is it true or talk rooster.

(edited)

That's why now engines run on both MPI multi-port fuel injection and direct fuel injection. MPI runs during engine idling which the air fuel mixture can clean the valves and then transit to DFI running with load. No good thing is the extra fuel injectors mounted at the air intake manifold...extra cost.

As for EGR or exhaust gas return system the diesel engines will have more carbon deposits clogging issues on the EGR valve and air intake valves. Petrol engines that has EGR system seem less likely to have an issue. There are EGR delete kits available on sale in online shops but mostly for diesel engines.

Another potentially messing up the air intake valves is the PCV return or positive crankcase valve. Its function to divert engine oil/fuel vapours and blow-by back to the air intake pipe. Either use an oil catch can/tank to collect the sticky gunk or redirect it to the oil pan. The amount is not large but it causes the air instake valves to become sticky and collect the carbon deposits from the EGR.

There are a few ways to clean the air intake valves if there lots of carbon deposits sitting on it.

One of them is the biodegradable sand blasting ppl here mentioned earlier which requires some manpower to remove the air intake manifold in order to reach the intake valves to do the blasting to clear the carbon deposits.

Other is using hydrogen gas to run the engine and clear it of any carbon deposits in the engine not just the valves. Less labour intensive as dont have to dismantle any engine parts. How thorough is the cleaning, I dont know.

The last is to remove the engine head and take out the valves to clean them thoroughly. This involves more labour and time of course.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement