Accident between bus and tipper truck on MCE; 28 casualties

Showster

Supercharged

i thought tipper truck are only allowed in the tunnel until MBFS and not all the way to East Coast?

One bus passenger in ST report said traffic in front slowed down suddenly. Could be the tipper truck driver realised he was not supposed to be there and stood on his brake pedal..

MCE tunnel got so many cctvs and speed cameras, can speed? As far as I know speed cameras do not sleep.

I was caught in that jam last night too... Lanes 4 and 5 were closed off nearer to Fort Rd exit. So lots of cars (incl. me) stick to lane 1 and 2...  But as usual, peeps will use that opportunity to speed on lane 4 and 5 and try to cut right ahead of everyone else.

That's what contributes to the slow speed on lanes 1 and 2... that and the rubberneckers. I was caught less than 30 mins in there... from 1930 till around 1955... Was smooth sailing afterwards.

You'd be surprised at some of the speeds some drivers do on the MCE/KPE... there was a Mini (I think from the lights) that almost contributed to another accident afterwards... with a tipper truck also... crazy fast weaving from lane 1 to 3 and squeeze ahead to lane 1 again  [laugh] I'll see if I can post that video afterwards.

• Praise 1

Give the drivers involved in the accident a benefit of doubts....it may be just a tailgating accident. Tipper trucks are allowed to drive in tunnels, only trucks carry dangerous goods or those which need permit to use expressway (concrete trucks) or speed limit 40 km/h are not allow to be in tunnel.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/on_the_roads/road_safety/drive_safely_in_road_tunnel.html

A classic case of tunnel fire in 1999 that explained everything in tunnel safety

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_Tunnel#The_1999_fire

• Praise 1

Just how wide is the tipper truck and bus? And when they go side by side how much space do they have? The lanes aren't very wide in Singapore roads. So just how easy it's for them to collide say in an overtaking manouver? All it takes is for one of the drivers to loose focus.

Edited by Watwheels

Trucks and buses do speed, but not over 80kph. So what can the speed cameras capture?

MCE tunnel got so many cctvs and speed cameras, can speed? As far as I know speed cameras do not sleep.

Container trucks.

i thought tipper truck are only allowed in the tunnel until MBFS and not all the way to East Coast?

MCE lanes are so wide...

If you want narrow lanes, try Lornie road.

Just how wide is the tipper truck and bus? And when they go side by side how much space do they have? The lanes aren't very wide in Singapore roads. So just how easy it's for them to collide say in an overtaking manouver? All it takes is for one of the drivers to loose focus.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Read from news that the bus was fetching tourists from china

maybe one of the passengers decide to open the rear door for some fresh air.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

see lar.....bus rear ended truck and still truck fault.

dont stereo type  please....

exactly... even law says the bus driver (rear end others) is at fault.

• Praise 1

I was also driving on the MCE at before 6pm. Photo finish. I think shortly after that the accident happened.

PHOTO. Please hold on to your ticket.

I was caught in that jam last night too... Lanes 4 and 5 were closed off nearer to Fort Rd exit. So lots of cars (incl. me) stick to lane 1 and 2...  But as usual, peeps will use that opportunity to speed on lane 4 and 5 and try to cut right ahead of everyone else.

That's what contributes to the slow speed on lanes 1 and 2... that and the rubberneckers. I was caught less than 30 mins in there... from 1930 till around 1955... Was smooth sailing afterwards.

You'd be surprised at some of the speeds some drivers do on the MCE/KPE... there was a Mini (I think from the lights) that almost contributed to another accident afterwards... with a tipper truck also... crazy fast weaving from lane 1 to 3 and squeeze ahead to lane 1 again  [laugh] I'll see if I can post that video afterwards.

Twincharged

Our lanes already quite wide especially the newer roads. MCE one is very wide. Wider than average already. 

my guess is not enough stopping distance from the bus.. and driver not alert.

this just happened to me in the morn.. was behind this antique Merc (EV plate) in a jam.. when the cars moved this car was stuck in place.

Can see that the driver in front seems to be messaging n not looking at the traffic in front.

he moved eventually... but guess what... I moved on to 1st lane after a while and lost track of the car..

eventually saw the car and another stopped in lane 2... the antique merc bump into the car in front...

my guess for the cause of accident would be the driver not focused on driving...

just my 2 cents... seeing many drivers using their phones and not looking at the road.

or drivers with an arm out (smoking) and swerving into lanes (w.o signal cuz holding ciggy)

need to re educate some drivers on road safety leh...

just want to vent :P

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2