Accident between bus and tipper truck on MCE; 28 casualties

Showster

my guess is not enough stopping distance from the bus.. and driver not alert.

this just happened to me in the morn.. was behind this antique Merc (EV plate) in a jam.. when the cars moved this car was stuck in place.

Can see that the driver in front seems to be messaging n not looking at the traffic in front.

he moved eventually... but guess what... I moved on to 1st lane after a while and lost track of the car..

eventually saw the car and another stopped in lane 2... the antique merc bump into the car in front...

my guess for the cause of accident would be the driver not focused on driving...

just my 2 cents... seeing many drivers using their phones and not looking at the road.

or drivers with an arm out (smoking) and swerving into lanes (w.o signal cuz holding ciggy)

need to re educate some drivers on road safety leh...

just want to vent :P

Was it going into kpe tunnel? Saw the same accident, a very minor one though of this merc W123 driven by an air force lieutenant bumping into a white jetta? From the looks of it, there seems to be no damage at all, maybe just some paint scratch

↡ Advertisement

Was it going into kpe tunnel? Saw the same accident, a very minor one though of this merc W123 driven by an air force lieutenant bumping into a white jetta? From the looks of it, there seems to be no damage at all, maybe just some paint scratch

Normally no visible damage meant no external damage, however can't say about internal damage, who knows the impact may loosen some component in the transmission.

It's a VW

• Praise 1

yea...

the jetta driver sure doesn't look happy when he alighted...

actually my concern is the merc... dmg big or small the parts would be hard to find...

tipper doing 70-80 is hell on wheels!!!!!!

You maybe right. Authorities put up speed limit at 80 maybe good for cars and not those heavy weights. Heavy weight vehicles travelling at that kind of road limit will not get caught for doing so because they do not exceed 80 and it is terrible unless they have another set of speed trap just to catch these vehicles. Safe braking distance differs greatly given that kind of motion in place and that is waiting for mishap to happen.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

You maybe right. Authorities put up speed limit at 80 maybe good for cars and not those heavy weights. Heavy weight vehicles travelling at that kind of road limit will not get caught for doing so because they do not exceed 80 and it is terrible unless they have another set of speed trap just to catch these vehicles. Safe braking distance differs greatly given that kind of motion in place and that is waiting for mishap to happen.

Technology has moved on a long time ago... I posted this before... Dubai has been installing these new camera's since early 2014.

- Their new high end cams can measure speeds on all lanes.

- Can distinguish between cars and truck (as heavy trucks are only allowed on the last lane strictly) and measure speeds separately.

- Can identify if heavy vehicles (trucks) are operating outside of the prescribed hours... as heavy trucks are not allowed during morning, afternoon and evening peak hours.

- Can measure tailgating. It measures if the cars are keeping at least a 2 sec gap

- Can measure if the car is going too slow. As minimum speed limit on highways is 60 km/h if the roads are free. 

- Can identify if cars are driving on the hard shoulder.

- apparently can also distinguish if occupant is wearing seatbelt, is on the mobile phone... not sure though.

image.jpg

I don't like a lot of stuff from that side of the world... but stuff like this... some parts of it at least, we can surely learn.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Here's an overly long and boring video of the MCE incident. Took maybe 15 mins for me to clear that place. I've been caught worse in PIE almost every other day

Towards the end, while I'm following that white Elantra at 80km/h, we can see that Mini shoot past... squeeze himself between the tipper and some black car. Good move maybe... but could have ended up just as bad.

Anyways this post is, as Shakespeare said... much ado about nothing 

Edited by ins1dious

(edited)

Technology has moved on a long time ago... I posted this before... Dubai has been installing these new camera's since early 2014.

- Their new high end cams can measure speeds on all lanes.

- Can distinguish between cars and truck (as heavy trucks are only allowed on the last lane strictly) and measure speeds separately.

- Can identify if heavy vehicles (trucks) are operating outside of the prescribed hours... as heavy trucks are not allowed during morning, afternoon and evening peak hours.

- Can measure tailgating. It measures if the cars are keeping at least a 2 sec gap

- Can measure if the car is going too slow. As minimum speed limit on highways is 60 km/h if the roads are free. 

- Can identify if cars are driving on the hard shoulder.

- apparently can also distinguish if occupant is wearing seatbelt, is on the mobile phone... not sure though.

image.jpg

I don't like a lot of stuff from that side of the world... but stuff like this... some parts of it at least, we can surely learn.

You are talking about those in Dubai.  Can cameras in our MCE do that ?

Edited by Renegade777

You are talking about those in Dubai.  Can cameras in our MCE do that ?

I won't be surprised if the cams in MCE only serve to keep drivers on their toes... my regular speed there is between 80-87 km/h and I haven't received any summons ever since KPE opened. Heck, my cousin did 65 mph** in that tunnel in my car and I didn't receive any summon that time either

Supersonic

I won't be surprised if the cams in MCE only serve to keep drivers on their toes... my regular speed there is between 80-87 km/h and I haven't received any summons ever since KPE opened. Heck, my cousin did 65 mph** in that tunnel in my car and I didn't receive any summon that time either

I can confirm that at least 1 of the cameras are real.

Got flashed before and got a warning letter....

yikes... what speed were you doing btw? 

↡ Advertisement