8 Seater MPV

Andysgp

No offence to Elgrand, Vellfire, Mazda 8 and gang but they drive like a van right?

Odyssey I suppose whilst doesn't drive like its predecessors from what I read, at least still feels abit like a car but the 8 seater has a funny half and half hybrid seat materials ie fabric for front 2 seats and leather for the other 2 rows!!

True, that was my initial thinking.

However, since owning the first alphard many yrs ago - just cant stop...now driving a third one.

Dont just trust my word - Please drive one to appreciate how "car like" the driving, provided you dont mind the tall driving position (which is actually an advantage, giving a better view all round).  Suggest go to borneo motors (Leng Kee or Ubi branch), request for test drive the alphard or vellfire, its really nice and comfy to drive. Dont worry abt cornering etc. Passengers space/comfort - superb. 

Driving up North - on NS highway -  all the way to Perlis/Penang and/or up/cornering Genting/Cameron/Bt Tinggi - no problemo.

Cons: 8 seater generally only low specs available (seems common for Japanese cars, but generally 8 seaters slightly cheaper than 7 seaters.

• Praise 1

However, since owning the first alphard many yrs ago - just cant stop...now driving a third one.

Dont just trust my word - Please drive one to appreciate how "car like" the driving, provided you dont mind the tall driving position (which is actually an advantage, giving a better view all round).  Suggest go to borneo motors (Leng Kee or Ubi branch), request for test drive the alphard or vellfire, its really nice and comfy to drive. Dont worry abt cornering etc. Passengers space/comfort - superb. 

Driving up North - on NS highway -  all the way to Perlis/Penang and/or up/cornering Genting/Cameron/Bt Tinggi - no problemo.

Cons: 8 seater generally only low specs available (seems common for Japanese cars, but generally 8 seaters slightly cheaper than 7 seaters.

Thks bro for the feedback! Good to hear from owner's mouth [thumbsup]

I've not driven these full size MPVs before n assumed it drove like a van. Shows that we shouldn't assume till we actually try. Abit similar to those against Korean cars and write them off even before trying. Anyway, full sized MPVs are like hotel on wheels and I'm sure the passengers love them, cheers!!

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 6

Alphard .... tested and proven [thumbsup]

I was considering Alphard or vellfire but the dealer at turf city advised against it and instead recommended oydessy. Still undecided.

The new Ssangyong Stavic. 8-9 seater option.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Another own a 8-seater? Can share your review and why you bought it?

Thanks.

Only NFL Elgrand is not so van like. Vellfire, and Alphard are like vans. Ody feels like a car.,, a car with super long wheel base.

I was considering Alphard or vellfire but the dealer at turf city advised against it and instead recommended oydessy. Still undecided.

damn nice. but is the size gonna be gigantic as the infiniti qx180?

Saw this at Bukit Batok Vicom, for VETL--

2016 Lexus LX 570 , 8 seater, generous seating and does not drive like a van.V8 engine.

Everything good except price and maintenance no good. $30,000 CEVS surcharge !

Some one in Singapore ,own it already.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LX

Neutral Newbie

Ody 8 seater AD comes with fabric seats. For PIs, though there are only G, Absolute, Absolute Plus, Absolute Sensing, but the configuration from different PIs are all different. The main parts like 2 auto sliding door, 6 airbags, driver power seats are never together (except the 20th anniversary version which is sold out). There are also Honda Sensing etc.

Mazda is seems to have stop production for Mz5 and Mz8, maybe Biante will be gone too. Toyota Previa/ Estima, Wish should upgraded as their gadgets are dated. Vellfire, alphard, Elegrand should be consider luxury, and drives and look like van. Not forgetting their clearance to carparks.

Wondering if anyone of you heard or had deal with Car House Pte Ltd before?

Just curious, have you driven Estima before? Because that handles and drives like a boat.

If you have driven Estima before, could you share the differences between the two in terms of drive and handling?

I owned both the current alphard and Honda Odyssey. Imo, the alphard wins hands down many area, like space , comfort, ride and quietness. Not to mention alot more luxurious. So much so that my kids chose the alphard each time we go out. We eventually sold the Odyssey and bought a Suv.
  • Praise 1

Just curious, have you driven Estima before? Because that handles and drives like a boat.

If you have driven Estima before, could you share the differences between the two in terms of drive and handling?

Bought Estima Aeras Premium 2013/14 after trade in my Vellfire (own 4 yrs+).

When new 2015 alphard was launched - trade in this Estima! No regrets.

Both good 7 seater mpvs btw.

I would say sth like.......

Estima -> E class

Alphard -> S class.

Main advantage of Estima (compared to alphard) is the lower height limit - no problems with ALL carparks. 3rd row not as spacious and not adjustable horizontally, hence luggage space not so flexible. The rear moonroof too is fixed - cannot be opened. Fuel consumption slightly better than alphard.

(owned 2nd generation previa - 8 seater, but second hand - not new, this one the suspension too soft to my liking, sth like a boat, but interior space is still good).

If superb handling is required, think the Odyssey RB1 many yrs ago was the best among most mpvs. But got to sell away in a year as its only marginally larger than Stream and still inconvenient to ferry a wheelchair at the rear.

Current Estima is too long in the tooth (around for about 9 - 10 years iirc), and thus it cannot match the comfort and performance of newer model for sure. Alphard & Vellfire being the newest 8 seater in the full size MPV category, has a first class styled cabin, and passenger comfort is an assurance. In fact when I test sit in the car, I feel as if I am in a luxury gereman make, no joke. But as I did not test drive or being driven in one, can't comment on the performance and ride comfort (longer distance traveling). All I can say is that if I am not the driver, I would look want to be driven in it.

I vividly remembered my experince with a Honda Elyson (no longer in production). Comfort and performance are almost on par with a Mercedes (even on the move on various road conditions). The new Odyssey somewhat do not live up to the expectation (as a replacement for Elyson).

If TS don't mind the relatively large (and tall) Vellfire / Alphard, go for it! The rest of the 8 seater are more of an in-between, imo.

• Praise 4

just sharing... I currently own a kia sorento. before that, I had the mazda5 and volvo xc90.

even though xc90 has more space, mazda5 can seat 8 of my family members. xc90 can't. 

reason being the last row the two seats are joined together in the mazda. as for xc90, the two seats are separated. no one can sit in the middle. 

my current sorento can also seat 8, even though it is a seven seater. if you are looking to seat 8 people, and they are not that big in size, you can look at those 7-seaters with a joined back seats. there are plenty.

• Praise 3

Current Estima is too long in the tooth (around for about 9 - 10 years iirc), and thus it cannot match the comfort and performance of newer model for sure. Alphard & Vellfire being the newest 8 seater in the full size MPV category, has a first class styled cabin, and passenger comfort is an assurance. In fact when I test sit in the car, I feel as if I am in a luxury gereman make, no joke. But as I did not test drive or being driven in one, can't comment on the performance and ride comfort (longer distance traveling). All I can say is that if I am not the driver, I would look want to be driven in it.

I vividly remembered my experince with a Honda Elyson (no longer in production). Comfort and performance are almost on par with a Mercedes (even on the move on various road conditions). The new Odyssey somewhat do not live up to the expectation (as a replacement for Elyson).

If TS don't mind the relatively large (and tall) Vellfire / Alphard, go for it! The rest of the 8 seater are more of an in-between, imo.

Anyone knows or heard anything about when will the new estima be out? I've been waiting for it...

hoping that comfort, features will improve, and FC will be leaps and bounds better.

Twincharged

just sharing... I currently own a kia sorento. before that, I had the mazda5 and volvo xc90.

even though xc90 has more space, mazda5 can seat 8 of my family members. xc90 can't. 

reason being the last row the two seats are joined together in the mazda. as for xc90, the two seats are separated. no one can sit in the middle. 

my current sorento can also seat 8, even though it is a seven seater. if you are looking to seat 8 people, and they are not that big in size, you can look at those 7-seaters with a joined back seats. there are plenty.

Yup. Estima is actually big enough to sit 3 adults at the back row if they aren't too big. 3 average sized adults should be able to fit.

Anyone knows or heard anything about when will the new estima be out? I've been waiting for it...

hoping that comfort, features will improve, and FC will be leaps and bounds better.

Don't pin too much hope on the "new" Estima, as it seems like another facelift with little mentioned about engine updates. Rumoured to be ready for launch in Japan in July this year, and so far the CGI are pointing to changes in the front light and bumper (it look a little like the new Prius, so look is subjective).

I will share more if I read something else.

• Praise 5

Don't pin too much hope on the "new" Estima, as it seems like another facelift with little mentioned about engine updates. Rumoured to be ready for launch in Japan in July this year, and so far the CGI are pointing to changes in the front light and bumper (it look a little like the new Prius, so look is subjective).

I will share more if I read something else.

can't see y the new 2.5l engine wouldnt b used.

can't see y the new 2.5l engine wouldnt b used.

Maybe, but the focus seems more towards the Hybrid & maybe a PHEV from what I read.

Some CGIs for your imagination. 

2016esute001001.jpg2016esute001002.jpg 2016esu001.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4