2017 G30 BMW 5 Series

Carbon82

in the good old days ... for cibic and mits car owner ... we don't chop off muffler ... we "operate" ... [laugh]

the usual suspects popular exhaust workshop claim they got tok kong skill to operate the muffler to a "sweet spot"

that will pass lta inspection ... [laugh]

Lta surely will know what these famous shops are up to .Lta is not stupid.i can tell you they have insider info one.
↡ Advertisement

The noise will attract lta and tp officers

There was no perceivable increase in noise at startup & idle.

Only when >3,000 RPM it comes alive & increase in decibel output is perhaps 3db at most.

In actual fact, I like the sound the "stock" exhaust produces now, as the rear (main) muffler was not touched at all.

in the good old days ... for cibic and mits car owner ... we don't chop off muffler ... we "operate" ... [laugh]

the usual suspects popular exhaust workshop claim they got tok kong skill to operate the muffler to a "sweet spot"

that will pass lta inspection ... [laugh]

Bro @Wt_know I'm unsure about those days' Civics and Evos, do they have a "center" muffler like what they do now on the G30? I'm unsure about the W213 or the Audis though.

Edited by Razzd

must make sure the cut super nice and the joint super OEM look

i kena questioned before when my F10 was due for inspection (3 years)

i told the officer i scrap the exhaust pipe gao gao and repair with the weilding ... muahahaha

actually .... [lipsrsealed][sly]

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=JA52-EUR-02-2016-G30-BMW-530i&diagId=18_1261

I think the part mark as 1.

Maybe fabricate a straight through titanium pipe.

Edited by Wt_know

Supercharged

Honestly there are many similar such china programs... what I don't like about these is that they are worse than superficial:

Aluminium parts = good; steel = bad

thick crash bar = good

Recycled foam = bad

Most of the youtube comments mostly blast them (in mandarin) about them trying to act expert without truly understanding the design constraints and reasons.

• Praise 1

Honestly there are many similar such china programs... what I don't like about these is that they are worse than superficial:

Aluminium parts = good; steel = bad

thick crash bar = good

Recycled foam = bad

Most of the youtube comments mostly blast them (in mandarin) about them trying to act expert without truly understanding the design constraints and reasons.

Since E39, suspension parts has been aluminum.

Aluminum is stiffer and lighter than steel.

(edited)

Gentlemen,

I decided to upgrade my Harman Kardon stock speakers on my 530i to the Bowers & Wilkins tweeters & mid-range.

Upgraded 14 drivers; 7 tweeters & 7 mid-range. B&W's mid-range are aluminized kevlar as opposed to HK's plastic cones.

I did not upgrade the twin HK subwoofers, for the simple reason that B&W's Rohacell bass drivers require the amplifier to be upgraded. 600W is insufficient to drive the different impedance Rohacell drivers.

Unable to upgrade to the Bowers & Wilkins 1,300w Digital amp, coz it requires the entire car to be stripped apart & re-do the entire wiring.

Also, the B&W Diamond Tweeters are exorbitantly expensive, > $3K for the twin diamond tweeters + illuminated housing.

Summary:

1. Sound improvement is very significant. It's not fully apparent if your source is sub-par: Garbage in, Garbage out.
  2. Mids are more forward, which is to my liking. Vocals stand out, especially female vocalists like Adele. 
  3. Instrument detail & highs are more apparent; unlike the HK speakers which are harsh. You can discern instruments clearer vs the HK speakers.
  4. Previously, HK stock speakers require a significant treble boost, now I only boost +2 to the treble with the B&W speakers
  5. Most significant improvement is now, you need to de-select the Logic 7-Surround. The 7-Surround improves sound when the speakers are sub-par. With the B&W speakers, you have to turn it OFF, else it sounds too "fake".
  6. The other significant improvement is you get a much better sound-stage and definition when seated in the rear as opposed to being sound-focused towards the Driver. With the stock HK speakers, it's driver-centric. With the B&W speakers, the sweet spot extends to your rear passengers (listen with your head to the headrest, don't lean forward). Impressive!
  7. In all, a worthwhile upgrade! I'm enjoying the audio bliss every drive!

th_617541610_37687312_1949532545069345_6 th_261754214_37607878_1949531861736080_5 th_617543355_37637325_1949531901736076_5
th_617544359_37629119_1949531821736084_7 th_617546130_37619937_1949531755069424_5 th_617548400_37582387_1949531701736096_2

Edited by Razzd
  • Praise 5

1. Did you change the amplifier?  There is a dedicated B&W amp.

2. What's your source?

David, 

I did not change my amp. It was entirely Plug & Play. Left to use my stock Harman 600W Digital Amp.

Source = Can you imagine.... Spotify Premium. I've yet to test CDs. I already hear the apparent difference playing from Spotify Premium Bluetooth from my iPhone 8S Plus.

Don't get me wrong, David. The difference is not night & day if your "source" is crap. Feed it with acoustic/vocal tracks even with deep bass, and it literally sings. If the recording is crap, you will get what it's meant to be.

David, 

I did not change my amp. It was entirely Plug & Play. Left to use my stock Harman 600W Digital Amp.

Source = Can you imagine.... Spotify Premium. I've yet to test CDs. I already hear the apparent difference playing from Spotify Premium Bluetooth from my iPhone 8S Plus.

Don't get me wrong, David. The difference is not night & day if your "source" is crap. Feed it with acoustic/vocal tracks even with deep bass, and it literally sings. If the recording is crap, you will get what it's meant to be.

Buy ipod and play uncompressed music.

CD too mafan

(edited)

I also upgraded my stock paper air filter -> BMC.

Summary:-

• Significant improvement in response
  • Feels like at least some power gain and definitely improved response, in low to mid range.
  • You can feel the car has more power on tap
  • I couldn't believe how dirty my stock filter has become. 1 yr 3 mo old, clocked <11,000km and see how dirty it is.

th_619006738_WhatsAppImage2018_07_22at12 th_261900810_WhatsAppImage2018_07_22at12 th_619008333_WhatsAppImage2018_07_12at07

Buy ipod and play uncompressed music.

CD too mafan

Thanks bro. Will do.

I have a 100% working iPod Classic with 250GB storage. Forgot that it plays Uncompressed! Thanks again, bro!

Edited by Razzd

Thanks bro. Will do.

I have a 100% working iPod Classic with 250GB storage. Forgot that it plays Uncompressed! Thanks again, bro!

I have been using ipod classic since driving E39 with cassette tape.

I also upgraded my stock paper air filter -> BMC.

Summary:-

• Significant improvement in response
  • Feels like at least some power gain and definitely improved response, in low to mid range.
  • You can feel the car has more power on tap
  • I couldn't believe how dirty my stock filter has become. 1 yr 3 mo old, clocked <11,000km and see how dirty it is.

th_619006738_WhatsAppImage2018_07_22at12 th_261900810_WhatsAppImage2018_07_22at12 th_619008333_WhatsAppImage2018_07_12at07

Thanks bro. Will do.

Wow, ur car is more than a year already? Seems like it's just a few months ago.

(edited)

I have been using ipod classic since driving E39 with cassette tape.

WOW, awesome, bro. Thanks. Time to dig mine out & charge it!

Wow, ur car is more than a year already? Seems like it's just a few months ago.

Yes bro.... My 530i is like 1 yr 3 mo old... I got it in APR 2017.

How time flies.

Only managed to clock < 11,000 km in that time. Coz I've got to drive my truck & run my little Vespa Sprint as well.

BMC AIr Filter - Made In Italy

Gents, regarding the BMC filter, I was skeptical at first. I know all too well, about the excessive "oil" going into the turbo if oiled excessively.

But after reading BMC's study & website on the improve particulate filtration on their filter vs the stock paper filer, I was convinced. And we all know, turbocharged cars need air to breathe. More air + more fuel = more power. Simple physics.

Just like changing the downpipe will yield significant improvement in power without even touching the ECU, getting a more efficient air filter allows better air-flow to the turbocharger, and on modern turbocharged cars, it makes all the difference.

Like using RON100. With modern ECUs, it will advance the timing to yield a few hp, for free, literally.

Edited by Razzd

(edited)

BMC filter is awesome

i used it before in my 3-series

the sound also nicer and feel more air

but after i witness a BMC filter start to disintegrate and risk the “metal” get into the engine ... i never use it liao

any filter only give shiok feeling and never could increase the car performance

i even did the whole she-bang GruppeM carbon intake previously ...

now think of it ... the $$$ can pump at least 6 months petrol ... lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Did a test drive with a friend on the new M5 yesterday.

Definitely one of the best sports sedan $$$ can buy. It can be comfortable for family yet when the beast is unleashed, all hell breaks loose on the 4.4l v8 twin turbo. Traction control off, everything on sports mode. However, it doesn't feel as raw as a F80 M3.. abit too much comfort.

Simply exhilarating.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1