No Idling for cars

Showster

Siao. Idling should be for people who aren't present in the cars/vehicles when the vehicle is idle.

This is Singapore FFS. If weather is so cool in Singapore that pple don't need to switch on engine for AC will be the day when pple switch engine on for heating.

Lets make it simple

When in mscp or basement carpark, turn off engine when idling is acceptable

But under hot sun open carpark, its common sense to turn on aircon since weather so hot and hot air trap inside.

Some new cars come with engine cut-off when stationary, right? So it means when they are waiting at roadside, engine should be cut since stationary and aircon still working. Consider idling anot?

I driving lao pok car with no such feature so i do not know how the engine cut-off works.

Engine cut off no emission. Aircon generated from batt power
↡ Advertisement

there is an exemption list:

The regulations apply to all motorists driving all types of motor vehicles, except:

• vehicles that require their engines to be switched on for operation of on-board machinery, such as chiller trucks, concrete mixers;
  • taxis/buses in a queue at their designated stops, stands or terminals waiting to pick up/drop off passengers;
  • vehicles that are used for law enforcement or emergency purposes, such as ambulances, SCDF or police vehicles;
  • vehicles undergoing inspection or maintenance.

Yes NEA policies are for show only.

The enforcement is also for show only.

The place I go for my sport activities, still have people smoking at the building edge, sometimes near the door.

Then chiller truck how?

Summon each time they do delivery?

If they don't summon then why have double standards?

• Praise 1

how to stand up in court? 

I think, the person will be pushed to become the complainant.

Then complainant vs the perpetrator.

Both parties waste time and effort.  NEA collect money and goes to the bank.

The perpetrator perhaps will "remember" the complainant and the complainant perhaps ends up "living in fear".  [laugh]

Twincharged

If you call NEA hotline and complain about some vehicle idling for more than 5 minutes, they'll ask you for the vehicle registration number. They won't send someone to check. Ultimate outsourcing!

They will send people to check. They will take note of the timing you call and next few days you'll see someone standing around looking out for that car. I know cuz I called them about this 2 taxis that always leave their engine idle during lunch time. For the next few days, I saw a guy loitering around the carpark and taking photos of the taxis. After that, the 2 of them always turn off engine already.

Bottom line....

off the engine not because its mandatory by law....

but for mother nature, the only mother nature we have.

Do that to save petrol can? When I just got my license, I still student so petrol very expensive to me. So I always switch off engine when waiting around. Just roll down the windows and off engine. Became a habit and now I always turn off the engine when I am waiting.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

Thee worst source of emission is not during idling at carparks for 5 mins.

It's the idling at traffic lights

How many traffic lights are in Singapore?

During most journey how much time is waiting at junctions

If NEA is serious about reducing emission, should work with LTA to encourage greener cars.

Rather than passing half baked policies.

Yes. These government agencies should work together toward a greenter country. Example lower taxes for electric vehicle, allow those Europe 6,7,8 (whatever they want to call it), encourage people to take up cycling, design road that tend to get congested(there is another thread on flaw design of our road system), implement more solar power powered infrastructures. The list can go on and on.

Take the easy solution of penalise motorists is like digging shit hole only when you want to shit.

• Praise 2

I totally agree that those leaving their engine idling where parked waiting for others AND knowing that will take a while is causing unnecessary pollution.

If you want to cool down your car, open up the car doors to ventilate. Very often, I notice taxi engine running while driver taking lunch. This is irresponsible.

Next to look at are those commercial vehicles that do not have separate generator to run their chiller or equipment mount on the vehicle. Running engine is not efficient and not the way to go.

NEA should encourage people to take video of such culprit and send it to them. Each case the sender gets 50% of the fine.

• Praise 1

Ask them to go and fine those taxi drivers that went driving around waiting for calls instead of fetching ppl from the taxi stands.

Because of constant breakdowns of mrts and difficulty to get a cab, that's why I get a car.

Why will I need a car if we have a good and efficient transport system.

• Praise 1

so if I go Lamboghini to test drive the HorLanGan(Hokkien for Huracan) and want to rev the engine to hear the V10 in stationary, NEA gonna fine me or the Lampa salesman?

Edited by Ahbengdriver

Ask them to go and fine those taxi drivers that went driving around waiting for calls instead of fetching ppl from the taxi stands.

Because of constant breakdowns of mrts and difficulty to get a cab, that's why I get a car.

You should bring this up with your MP in the next MPS.

Uber or Grabcar lo. Now so many...

Twincharged

like that very difficult to pika pika in car liao.. cannot open window also cannot on aircon

The rule has been around for a long time already la. Its just that they are stricter about it now and made the penalties higher only. It is still the same rule as before.

Supersonic
(edited)

like that very difficult to pika pika in car liao.. cannot open window also cannot on aircon

You are right, that's probably a classified KPI from this change. Less sex scandals (I remember there was a school principal scandal that involved a BJ in car) and less by-erections. :D

Of course, it will backfire. Hot and sweaty in an enclosed space. You just want to tear all your clothes off. [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4

Supersonic

Should go catch those taxi guys.

A couple of times, I was doing something in the car, they would come, start the engine, do nothing and wait 20 mins before they drive off.

Bcuz the engine is cold started, the cat converter is not hot enough to work, it was spewing all kinds of toxic fumes and polluting the air.

• Praise 1

It's silly that we need this rule... but sometimes, some people lack the common sense and empathy to think of others or their environment. So a stick like this is necessary.

Take the pic I've attached for example... this is for the side gate - marked by X - for the primary school my daughter studies in. Those two yellow signs I've circled in red, are new additions for the last year or so. They read asking parents to have consideration and to switch their engines off while waiting for their children.

Why was such a sign even necessary? Surely as a parent, don't they know that while they're cocooned in their AC car - sometimes for as long as 15+ minutes - waiting for their children to come, there are others also waiting outside inhaling the damn fumes?

There are children, babies in strollers, old people, maids all waiting in that small shelter as one has to wait for the school children to be released by the side gate. Couldn't go in earlier.

Even after the sign was put up, there were still idiots who had reading issues. And when I tapped on their windows and pointed the sign out, they just ignored and went back to playing fcking candy crush on their phones  

• Praise 2

5th Gear

LTA enforcement officer also never switch off thier bike when issue summon .

Twincharged

LTA enforcement officer also never switch off thier bike when issue summon .

So if LTA officer issue summon to NEA officer for illegal parking, NEA officer just need to issue summon to LTA officer for leaving engine on.

5th Gear

So if LTA officer issue summon to NEA officer for illegal parking, NEA officer just need to issue summon to LTA officer for leaving engine on.

End of the day both come to agreement no summon to each other lo .
↡ Advertisement