Best value saloon car under $100K

Victor68

Turbocharged

I started the thread on 7-seater MPV. After some due considerations, I may go for a normal 5-seater saloon car since my 'kids' are now all adults and may not need to take my car anymore.

At today's COE, the cheapest of the lots are around the high $80 to $100K. What would you consider as the best value buy and why?

This is to get opinions and there is no right or wrong. At least when COE drops to $20K, those in this segment can 'rush' in and get the ideal car, hopefully.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Best value? K3 SX gets my vote.

Or else, just go to LTA website, download dealer margin spreadsheet and see what models have the lowest margin.

• Praise 7

I will vote best value as Mazda 3. The materials they used are really comparable to luxury continental standards. BUT Mazda 3 servicing and parts not cheap.

I dun drive a Mazda3 though.

• Praise 3

toyota axio

Axio is a good ride with very good Fuel Efficiency. I was driving this for 7.5 years and achieve 16 KM/Litre FE. Only setback was that the pick up is disappointing. Was told that Axio is the 10th Generation Corolla made in Japan before I purchase it. Only to know that this is a car for Senior Citizens in Japan after I bought it. If you like good FE, trouble free and can live it with a car with very slow pick up, strongly recommending this car to you.

• Praise 2

Toyota altis, simple reliable

I would have agreed with you, I always have the opinion of Toyota as a reliable brand ... but not after 2 of my friends have problem with their brand new Altis less than 3 months of owning the car this year..

First had faulty alternator ... got it replaced at BM within the day after reporting the problem.

Second had gear box problem, BM has not have the spare part and he has to wait 6 weeks for part to arrive .... and BM say need to send car in for 3 days to replace the gearbox.

I am totally shock of the Toyota quality these days. .... both cars are less than 3 months old when detected the above-mentioned problem.

• Praise 12

Nothing wrong with Korean cars.

Only thing is FC may not be as good as Japs as Korea car body is heavier.

There are many Korean car owners here, I am one of them.

Anyone has any comment on maintenance of korean made car for it to last 10 yrs?

• Praise 2

In terms of durability, how will u rate it compared to japanese car?

Honestly I can't answer your question as I have not owned a jap car before, nor driven one long enough to rate its durability.

But I would say Korean cars have improved immensely over the past decade, whereas more Jap models sold by AD here are assembled in Thailand,

I have driven a G10 Altis before which I presume is assembled in Thailand, and the driving ergonomics and handling pales in comparison to my previous korean car.

If I really have to answer, I would say, at least on par, if not better.

In terms of durability, how will u rate it compared to japanese car?

• Praise 1

(edited)

below 100k? better take BMW. now where got car below 100k? After COE went north, even cheaper japanese Mazda 3 went above 100k. Perhaps those that you are looking at are Korean cars. There are still possibility that it is below 100k.

Edited by Passion

Twincharged
(edited)

I think the best value would be K3. Kia and Hyundai have been proven to be reliable already. Can be at least on par or even better.

Edited by Nzy

Twincharged

the new elantra is significantly lighter vs the pre FL model 

Turbocharged

below 100k? better take BMW. now where got car below 100k? After COE went north, even cheaper japanese Mazda 3 went above 100k. Perhaps those that you are looking at are Korean cars. There are still possibility that it is below 100k.

Well, not true. Even Citroen, Opel and even Renault have models below $100K.

Honda City. Less than SGD100K, got traction control, low fuel consumption, spacious and it's a Honda!  [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1